Home General Discussion

Selling STREET FIGHTER AKUMA shirts!!

manilamerc
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
manilamerc polycounter lvl 6
Hey everybody I'm selling street fighter Akuma shirts. Get one before the campaign ends.

sQNUwk1.jpg

http://teespring.com/akuma_shirt#pid=6&cid=639

Replies

• ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    are these officially licensed? :)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Doubt it... But people seem to get away with this kinda stuff. Like Doctor Who shirts or Sherlock shirts and what not.
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They are not officially licensed
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    then why do you think you are allowed to sell them?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Let's not start this crap. As PyrZern already pointed out, this is done all the time, on many sites. Just check out teemagnet.com some time. It shows you multiple sites, that have been doing this for years. Hell, I've been seeing a lot of Disney mashups, and you know damn well, Disney doesn't mess around with their IPs. If it wasn't legal, then these shirt sites would be fucked.
    I'm pretty sure it's allowed, because it's his own artwork.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    notman wrote: »
    Let's not start this crap. As PyrZern already pointed out, this is done all the time, on many sites. Just check out teemagnet.com some time. It shows you multiple sites, that have been doing this for years. Hell, I've been seeing a lot of Disney mashups, and you know damn well, Disney doesn't mess around with their IPs. If it wasn't legal, then these shirt sites would be fucked.
    I'm pretty sure it's allowed, because it's his own artwork.

It's not legal. The things you are talking about just aren't popular enough to get on major companies radars like Disney. It's really depend on the website as well. I have plenty of friend who put fan art stuff up on society 6 ( a print selling site) and they got copyright claims. It's really not something you want to play around with. Some companies are more lax about it, but it's hard to tell who is that way and if they will stay that way.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    yep same here, some friends created fanarts for a birthday present and couldn't find a shop to print it for them, due to legal issues.
    Just because the copyright owner doesn't know, doesn't make it right.

in general, just don't make money with content, that isn't yours or that you have no permission to use.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    Neox wrote: »
    then why do you think you are allowed to sell them?

this made me laugh

but seriously as artist you guys should like know that if someone stole one of your characters and made money, you'd be royally pissed
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    the only reason people get away with this is that they don't get noticed. just so you know, its not legal at all. Its an IP, and its copyrighted.

oh and also, cool design dude, i like it.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 wrote: »
    It's not legal. The things you are talking about just aren't popular enough to get on major companies radars like Disney.

TeeFury is very popular, and they've had plenty of shirts shared on very popular Disney Blog sites. I would think, by now, it would have crossed someone's desk at Disney.

Either way, they point I meant to make was, none of are lawyers, and the thread doesn't need to get filled with people complaining about copyrights. As long as it's his actual artwork, then I see no reason for anyone jumping on his case about it. It's a cool design, if you're into street fighter. Let Capcom worry about it.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    TeeFury is very popular, and they've had plenty of shirts shared on very popular Disney Blog sites. I would think, by now, it would have crossed someone's desk at Disney.

Either way, they point I meant to make was, none of are lawyers, and the thread doesn't need to get filled with people complaining about copyrights. As long as it's his actual artwork, then I see no reason for anyone jumping on his case about it. It's a cool design, if you're into street fighter. Let Capcom worry about it.

Are you seriously advising people to commit illegal acts just because they can get away with it. You don't want to get big enough to have lawsuit brought against you. If you can make good art that revolves around fan art you are competent enough to make good art that doesn't. It makes no sense to risk legal issues over a t-shirt.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18

I'm not really familiar with TeeFury but a lot of those sites that sell fan submitted designs have licensing agreements with the companies that own the IPs. That's how WeLoveFine works, they have licensing agreements with Cartoon Network, Valve and other companies.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 wrote: »
    Are you seriously advising people to commit illegal acts just because they can get away with it.
    No, I'm advising people to stop thinking they need to police the internet
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    manilamerc wrote: »
    Hey everybody I'm selling street fighter Akuma shirts. Get one before the campaign ends.

sQNUwk1.jpg

http://teespring.com/akuma_shirt#pid=6&cid=639

easy peasy mine is better than yours
    wkerSnW.png
    gSSEWt9.png

really? people still fall for this trick?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What "trick"? I'm pretty sure everyone is aware that he didn't hand weave the shirt or whatever ...
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    Your ethical values should not be based on whether or not you will get caught. There are a lot of gray areas, but this isn't one of them. If you are selling someones intellectual property without their permission then it is a wrong thing to do.
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys what If I said I had a dream of a guy who looked like Akuma from Street fighter and out of no where I started designing him. But the whole time I didn't know the character Akuma existed or even Street Fighter.

Is it legal now?
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Maybe not, but you named your thread akuma and referenced the game it comes from. Chances are if you had a dream and it looked a like it would not be the exact same design. You are spitting on the same copyright laws that make being an artist viable and frankly it's ignorant. If we didn't have copyright on imagery/ design artists would be screwed. It's one thing to make fan art. It's quite another to willfully sell that art knowing that all you did was replicate another artist work without permission. You can argue all you want it's still illegal.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys what If I said I had a dream of a guy who looked like Akuma from Street fighter and out of no where I started designing him. But the whole time I didn't know the character Akuma existed or even Street Fighter.

Is it legal now?

nope. Looking at the TOS the worst that will happen is your campaign will get shut down & money refunded. If you do it multiple times they'll ban your account.

"Users who are the targets of multiple allegations of infringement made against them run the risk of getting banned from the site. As long as you stick to original designs, you’ll likely avoid copyright or intellectual property issues."
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    i dunno about you guys, but ive seen a ton of heisenberg shirts around and I doubt they are all licensed. I looked a the ones in an urban outfitters and there wasnt a mention of it being copyright of amc or breaking bad etc anywhere on it. I dont think it really matters, its not like the shirt is going to sell a bazillion orders and hes going to be stealing soooo much profit from capcom. its a cool design that nods to streetfighter without plastering the SF logo all over it. whatevs.

a friend of mine made some satiracle COD shirts like one that said Corporate warfare in the MW2 font and exact same style logo in the bg. it was actually featured on kotaku and shit, he made like 10g off it or something from redbubble and activision didnt do a thing about it. pretty sure this is not something to get panties twisted about.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Corporations have X hours and Y resources to go after copyright infringement. Just because you know someone who got away with it, it doesn't mean it's OK ... it just means the corporation either (a) didn't see it happen or (b) couldn't allocate the resources to deal with it.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    a friend of mine made some satiracle COD shirts like one that said Corporate warfare in the MW2 font and exact same style logo in the bg. it was actually featured on kotaku and shit, he made like 10g off it or something from redbubble and activision didnt do a thing about it. pretty sure this is not something to get panties twisted about.

Would it be ok then if you designed a character and then some one made "fan art" of it and tried to sell a whole bunch of t-shirts without your permission?

No it wouldn't. Just because it's a large company that holds the copyright doesn't make the copyright infringement any more ok. If you throw it out for companies you have to be comfortable with throwing it out for yourself. Copyright is a very important thing and an artist most of all should understand this.
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    PixelMasher. I think the majority of artists wouldn't want their work being used for profit without their permission. The argument here isn't about whether maniliamerc can get away with it. He probably can.

The argument here is that it is the wrong thing to do and there are rules that are designed to protect artists/creators that are not fully understood by many. Some people have the mentality of ignoring those rules when they are positioned to gain from them.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah I think some people are losing the point. It doesn't matter that Capcom IS a large corporation and they probably aren't losing much from this, and probably won't do anything about it. The truth is, at the heart of it, you are using someone's character to profit without permission, potentially taking money out of the pockets of people just like you or me in this industry.

Also, PixelMasher, satire is an entirely different thing from fanart so I don't think your example really applies here.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    And I just know if someone copy/pasted an original character from someone on here's What are you working on Now? post, that this place would start boiling like a nuclear meltdown.

Especially if it was an artist that people felt protective of like EarthQuake, Almighty Gir or somebody like that. It'd be WorldWar3
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you guys think I should do?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Not sell the work. If you still want to see it out there, offer the template for free.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Not sell the work. If you still want to see it out there, offer the template for free.

Exactly. No one said don't make fan art. Just don't sell it. If you are looking to make money make your own designs and sell those.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    What do you guys think I should do?

Go to Singapore; This shit is legal there.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    I guess another option would be to see if any sort of merchandising company has a guest entry form. I know J!NX has a deal with Minecraft and they do competitions and whatnot for t-shirt designs.

Could see if you can find shirt printing sites that have rights from capcom to make designs with their characters, sort of like how youtube channels can do stuff by being in a network that has rights by game companies and stuff.
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    The akuma logo seems... Quite off centered on the back no?
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    lol wow this thread

inb4lock