Home Technical Talk

Having trouble with normal/ao map baking.

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
I just watched some tutorials, practiced 3 times and I'm tired so I'm resorting to help.

Baking maps in 3DS Max, I followed the procedure. No overlapping UV's, the UV channel is correct, there's a high poly and a low poly mesh, low poly mesh is selected. I created a cage and have gave it a lot of room to project. Skylight is turned on. I'm shooting a ton of rays (500) with lots of padding (5).

Yet, I'm getting this.
iFBUPHr4EtJ3p.png

Here are the bakes
iUsyGV7EQpUfi.pngiZGCY7PrMQjm2.png

The mesh in question (cage)
iCp0S6B9pS9VK.png

Wireframe of the mesh (the hi-poly is blue)
ibkrJVlDJmmeUn.png

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You will get no AO from a highpoly model that has no creases or cavities. Unless you put a "floor" under it.

The normal map won't show in the render unless you're using a Normal Bump map type, and make sure to set the Bump Channel strength to 100 (default is 30 in a Standard material).

Are you using a different Smoothing Group per UV element? For a cube with those UVs you really only need 3 SGs, but that's not really necessary.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Yeah, it was smoothing groups causing it. I was using autosmooth before but now I made each UV island their own. I also used the normal maps node instead of just plugging the map directly into bumps.

Here's what I got now:
    iBd8mSfByz2E6.png
    iBIbFqhHHu9DD.png