Home General Discussion

Cinema 4D in industry

Hello, I'm seeing that some time trying to play the users autodesk 3ds max to maya, I saw in this forum that the company XSI'ng 3d max, and also after discontinuation of XSI, allowed free autodesk 3ds max or migrations maya for those who still had a chain of subriscri

Replies

• Meloncov
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Cinema 4D is used extensively for motion graphics, occasionally for VFX, but virtually never for games.
  • Teteu1234510
    then the most recommended for this new generation games would be maya??
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I think for sure that c4d is most used in vfx. I do a lot of vfx work and my clients use c4d on big projects.
    there is another thread on this somewhere
  • Teteu1234510
  • fatihG_
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Knowing multiple apps is definitely advantageous.

That being said, C4D is mostly used for visualisation/motion graphics/broadcasting and stuff like that.

In the games industry it would be a big plus if you know both 3ds Max and Maya.

I think you should get over the "I do not like to do X" attitude. The games industry is always changing/evolving. So you need to constantly learn new software/techniques anyway.

However, that being said. You can definitely use C4D for game art. A model will still be a model. Also Bodypaint3d is handy for painting textures and has sculpting now as well.
    So for personal use/freelancing C4D can be a complete package. Except for baking Normal maps and things like that onto a low poly mesh, Dont qoute me on this though. You can bake some stuff, but last time I checked you can cast things from 1 mesh to another. But luckily xNormal is free.

That being said C4D's exporters(fbx and obj, the last time I checked) are crap. So you might want to keep that in mind.

All in all, I don't think you will find any game studio using C4D.
  • Teteu1234510
    Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll have to stick with maya hahaha, I want to work with game assets, also wanted to know if I need to learn to draw human anatomy for digital sculpting in zbrush, I know that helps, more wanted to know if I can get the same result as someone who has used design production, without drawing

I'm sorry for my english, I'm Brazilian.
  • fatihG_
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Check this out.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136224

I haven't read most of the stuff people said, but it should help you I think.

Honestly I think being able to draw anatomy properly will help you sculpt anatomy better. The same goes for the opposite. Being able to sculpt anatomy will help you draw better.

At least this was the case for me. I started out doing mainly 2d work myself.
    Being able to draw decently will definitely help you understand shapes and what not in 3d and stuff. Again vice versa, modelling stuff also help you understand shapes better, thus making your drawing work better as well.

Basically once you understand "shapes", being able to work in 2d or 3d should be somewhat irrelevant.
    However I see 3d as "easy" mode.
    The reason for this is that 3d apps take care of allot of thing you would need to do manually in 2d. Stuff like perspective, how lighting/colour works ,as a 3d apps does all the calculations, if you dont understand how that works you'll basically be guessing colour/lighting in 2d, which isn't a bad thing perse if you work from reference. But you still will not understand why things work he way they do, imo.

Also about C4D, check this thread out as well. Again I just skimmed over it, but maybe itll help.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136467
  • Teteu1234510
    Thank you, I will read these posts, I'm new to the forum and did not find them, sorry.