Home Technical Talk

How to display HP Objects

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
Hey all, I've been having a hard time displaying HP Objects. Now in the view port i just use a standard shader grayish with blue specular and jack up the values

RS4JuaC.png

Replies

• Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    My typical setup:

Dark grey diffuse, 70-90 on the rgb scale.
    Strong spec, 60-90%
    Wide-ish gloss, 20-40%

Then I use a 3 point light setup.

Marmoset did a good tutorial for TB1 that applies to any 3D package: http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/character-lighting

Make sure to have realistic quality viewport mode on (or equivalent in maya)

In photoshop I just do a quick levels to make sure I am getting the full value range and to make sure the model separates itself from the background.

You can get good results from viewports with no rendering, example: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2344272/d9Mech/district_9_arc_gun_highFinished.jpg
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    If you are after high quality renders, I can't stress enough how easy it is to get good results with KeyShot 4. If just for viewport shading, yeah, what Quack said.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Quack! wrote: »
    My typical setup:

Dark grey diffuse, 70-90 on the rgb scale.
    Strong spec, 60-90%
    Wide-ish gloss, 20-40%

You can get good results from viewports with no rendering, example: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2344272/d9Mech/district_9_arc_gun_highFinished.jpg

That^

Elaborating a bit on his last line, View port renders: They are great for WIP Shots. You don't have to export anything, Set up a new render in TB, etc. You can just set up a few scene lights within max as if you were going to run a render, then turn on "realistic" viewport mode and it will render the spotlights, Skylights, AO, and all that jazz in real time.

Very useful for sharing shots quickly and on the fly. Once you set up the render stuff too you can just toggle it on and off and reflect on your model.

Quacks example is obviously nicer looking, but here is quick set up I did for a test mesh I just created in about maybe 1-2 minutes within max.

http://imgur.com/a/XIFrI

Basically draw out one light, Adjust attenuations/falloffs/enable shadows, copy, Vary light color and intensity (Which I skipped here) and you're ready to rock. Super quick, super easy. Close to instant gratification :)

If its a final render, Keyshot/Mental ray/Vray etc.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    See I actually don't mind occasionally exporting out to keyshot. I usually do it when I want to take a break anyway, and seeing my WIP nice and shiny helps my motivation. Obviously this isn't the ideal thing to do if time is a constraint.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, Ideally im just looking for the best way to display my HP objects for portfolio for a job

After playing around a bit this is a viewport render. So much better thanks guys [IMG][/img]xl1kM5H.png
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks I will give that a try, what kind a BG typically use just grey ?
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks I will give that a try, what kind a BG typically use just grey ?

Depends on the model, but the rule is to make sure your object 'pops' off the background, as yours does now. It varies.

With that said, I would set your diffuse color even darker then it is now, you want to fairly dark to sell the surface details better.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for feedback Perna- i used control edges for everything but they must still be too close/tight if you think it looks sharp. Something ill have to work on next object for sure as im still trying to figure out proper distance for the control edges