Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Deathrow - Blackgate Prison

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
I've been wanting to do a batman themed environment for a while as the Arkham games were probably my most enjoyable games of the last generation. I've finally settled on a piece of concept by Daniel Kvasznicza. I will make sure I keep this thread updated as I progress with the scene.

Current Progress: Finished Whitebox & Applied Base PBR Values

iyETLpr.jpg

Any feedback and critisism is grealy appreciated!

WK9GAHF.jpg
KWpt76q.jpg

Replies

• JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    Solid blockout right now. And you're known for grabbing, and keeping my attention Grimm. So consider me subscribed.

I only ask that you include tutorials/ breakdowns while you show off your spectacular work.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    The concept is awesome! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Don't forget that dead body on the left in the broken column :poly124:
  • Neoncypher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neoncypher polycounter lvl 9
    Needs more Jake ;)
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BringMeASunkist - Cheers mate, hopefully I won't disappoint. I'll certainly try my best to provide as much information as possible.

@leleuxart - Cheers man. I'm not sure what to do about the characters. I'm not much of a character artist and have never really found it that enjoyable so I may ask around some of my art friends to see if they have a rigged character I can use.

@Neoncypher - Everyone's work need more Jake :)
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick update, I'm currently on refining the super blocky assets so that they have meaning and context. Hopefully its starting to define the scene a little better. It's all just 3DS Max work at the moment. I've added placeholder decals too but these will be replaced at a later stage.

WK9GAHF.jpg
  • Nintendo46
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Grimmstrom

Your scene looks very solid. Nice composition.

I have just one question to you regarding this scene.
    Did you intend to create the lowpolys first and then in a later stage you create the highPolys with all their bakes etc? Im very new to gameDevelopment so i dont know.

Cheers Joel
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    Nintendo46 wrote: »
    Hi Grimmstrom

Your scene looks very solid. Nice composition.

I have just one question to you regarding this scene.
    Did you intend to create the lowpolys first and then in a later stage you create the highPolys with all their bakes etc? Im very new to gameDevelopment so i dont know.

Cheers Joel

If I had to guess Grimm's workflow, I'd say you're exactly right. Currently he's in the block out stage so he has approximate meshes that act as a representation for the shapes that will later go in their place. This affords him several opportunities.

First is that it allows him to nail down the overall atmosphere/ mood that he's after very early on. Second, because there is no color in any of the block out meshes, it's easier to keep track of all the lighting. You'll notice the cool greens in his lights? That's way more difficult to build up when you have color all around the colored lights. Lastly is his workflow for future models. These blackout meshes can act as cages/ rulers/ approximate guides for him to build new models up to an already established scale.
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Nintendo46 - @BringMeASunkist explained it very well so there is not too much that I can add. Basically in the early stages of a scene you should keep your assets very simple. The reason being, if you notice any issues with scale it's a lot easier to rectify. Only when I'm 100% happy with the scene composition will I start on the final quality assets.

And yeah as @BringMeASunkist pointed out, all the meshes have the same colour applied. This is just to help set up the lighting in a sterile environment and not fight with the various texture colours. Hope this helps.

@BringMeASunkist - Thanks mate, totally nail that explanation.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Deffinately looking forward to seeing this develop, big fan of your artwork!
  • Nintendo46
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom and BringMeASunkist

for your tips. So one would first create the scene in an 3d application and then bring all the meshes in Unreal and place them where needed. Then try out the basic lighting and the desired mood with that. and then finally start to create the real content. i think im getting it and try to implement that in my future projects.

Have a nice day, Joel
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another quick update from me, I've got all my whitebox meshes into Unreal & ran a quick lightmass:

ZQaQ7r2.jpg
    WaLNPEH.jpg
    DtiVZit.jpg
    8lIXDk2.jpg
  • Holland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holland polycounter lvl 9
    Blockout looks sweet! Can't wait to see more :)
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Looks solid, keep up mate, :)
  • robochrish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robochrish polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking really nice!
    I'm looking forward to seeing more of this, as I loved Arkham Asylum, and it would be good to see more of that style art work around.
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks for the support. So unfortunately this project has been slow going for a while due to work and family commitments. I've have been working on it but the majority of the time has been spent fighting lightmass during my 30 minute lunchtime.

I'm back up to speed now and I've made the switch over to CryEngine. I've applied a few base roughness values and I'm ready to start full on asset production.

Note that the puddles are just CryEngine's placeholder assets.

iyETLpr.jpg