Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A lot of question 3d

Hello everyone
I hope u will be able to understand me, i am really not good in english
i understand it very well but write it is a real pain.

I considere myself as a beginner or 3d, of cours i know few thing about 3dsmax like tools, bevel, turbosmooth, extrude, chamfer, slicetool, quickslice, swiftloop, ect....
I bough a full year on digital tutors 2 weeks ago

Lets begin the questions

1)The workflow
I saw a lot of topics (not sp

Replies

• ClusterOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ClusterOne polycounter lvl 4
    Let me preface this by saying your work is really good, and also that I've only been studying 3d art for around 5 months. Hopefully I can answer your questions though. I apologize in advance for any bad grammar and misspellings or if I misunderstood one of your questions, its quite later over here (as I'm typing this).

1. The general workflow for most high detail assets involves making a basemesh in your 3d package of choice, sculpting the high poly in Zbrush (or mudbox) and then sending it back to your 3d package of choice for retopology and baking (which can also be done in other programs like Xnormal). You don't really have to go to Zbrush twice. As far as creating a high poly for your basemesh, I would say you don't have to do that very often--sometimes I do that for complicated pieces of clothing, that's about it. I don't do a lot of hard surface work so I can't speak much in that area, but for organic sculpting there are very situations where you need to do that. A simple basemesh in Maya or 3ds max should suffice for your high poly.

2. The reason why you do high polygon modeling in a sculpting program is because of the efficiency. Sculpting programs are simply better and faster at detailing most models than a standard 3d package like maya or 3ds max. In a sculpting programs, fine detail like scratches and pores can be done in seconds--the same detail could take hours to do by hand in maya or 3ds max (assuming you are working with millions of polygons). A lot of hard surface and stylized work can be completed from start to finish in a standard 3d package though. Be sure to read up on normal maps if you haven't already--understanding the concept of normal maps should clear up a lot of confusion surrounding high polygon modeling http://wiki.polycount.com/NormalMap/

3. You don't have to follow tutorials exactly. I for one have NEVER created a model from a tutorial, I just learn the tools and tricks and apply them to what I'm working on. Certain concepts are very specific, and may require you to follow the tutorial exactly to achieve the same results so keep that in mind. I personally suggest creating models you want and not making things from tutorials, it just feels more satisfying--but either is good, whichever works best for you!

4. As someone who is completely devoid of talent and has been teaching himself for the last few months I feel that anyone can learn it. There is no amount of talent that you can't make up for with hardwork... or so that's what I think. I have no industry experience, so I'm not exactly qualified to say whether me or anyone else can make it in the industry.

5. It really depends on what you want to do. Max and Maya are quite different programs. I really wouldn't suggest trying to learn them both simultaneously unless you absolutely have to. While very different from each other (modifier stack vs no modifier stack), both 3d packages can do pretty much the exact same thing, pick one you like and stick to it. As far as sculpting programs go, Zbrush is the industry standard. Mudbox is good, albeit much more limited as a program. I've seen it used over Zbrush for stuff like terrain heightmaps and blend shapes correctives. Personally I would suggest you learn the following programs: Maya or 3ds max, Zbrush, Xnormal (free and very simple), and Photoshop. There are plenty of other programs that you'll probably want to pick up like DDO and/or Substance designer, but this should cover basically all you need to complete a model from start to finish.

Good luck and nice work, you are definitely off to a flying start!
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, I'll do my best to answer your questions. I'll keep things simple but if you want me to go further into detail on certain points let me know.

1) That is one workflow, there is nothing stopping you from making something in ZBrush, retopologizing (making it low poly) in ZBrush also too. My general workflow really just applies to what I'm making.

2)This leads to your second question, if you wanted too you could just use ZBrush to add the last bits of detail to the high poly from 3ds max.

3)I would say when you feel ready to do your own project your'll know, there is nothing wrong with just following tutorials when you're just starting out. This is early days for you so just take your time and enjoy learning something new and not get stressed out!

4)I would say anyone can learn 3d, but it takes dedication and hard work to be good at it. Every artist feels like they are the worst artist.

5)For now focus on one modelling program (3ds max or Maya) and one sculpting program (ZBrush or Mudbox) and stick with them.

6)These are a good start, I would say now take a tutorial on Digital Tutors that goes through the entire process, modelling, texturing and rendering.

Hope this helps.
  • Seijiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seijiro null
    Hello there!

Your English is quite fine and rather easy to understand.
    As for your questions.

1. The workflow changes a bit based on how you work and are comfortable with.
    Yes some people do create a base mesh in their chosen 3D app (max/maya/xsi) and then export it into ZBrush/Mudbox. That's a good and valid workflow.

Others are more comfortable with starting sculpting right away inside ZBrush with a default base mesh. Kind of like a real sculpter, just having a piece of clay and start messing around with it.

Or you can just create the entire thing in your chosen 3D app as well, putting on the high details and exporting your maps from there.

2. Again, it depends on your own workflow and how you like to work. However, certain objects/subjects you can only model out in ZBrush, like really high poly characters or other heavy objects where the poly count range into the millions. Generally sculpting packages like ZBrush handles high poly much better than say Max or Maya.

3. It's definitely better if you do follow tutorials and work on the projects as well. Firstly people tend to learn better why doing and not just watching. Also when following tutorials, try to incorporate your own models and ideas and just change a few things around, explore a bit more and not just follow exactly the tutorials to the letter.

4. Of course everyone can be good at 3D granted you're studying and constatly learning and trying to improve. As long as you put time and effort into your study of 3D, games, VFX or whatever you like then you will become better and grow.

5. It's always good to have several applications at your disposal. Learn the fundamentals in any modeling app such as Max or Maya then learn the fundamentals for something like ZBrush or what have you. Then mix those two together and try to expand your knowledge. The key thing is, concentrate on 1 topic at first. If you feel you lack a few modeling skills, then work on them, if you want to learn texturing then focus on that.
    It's always good to know a little of everything at start. For instance, if you know a little about UV unwrapping then you know how to more optimally build your own models, where to create edge loops, where to cut edges off etc. And that will later help you with easier painting textures.

You have some nice good models there so you have a fundation for sure. Just keep at it and you'll eventually be a lot better!
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Hey, I think everyone already said all the smart things.

but I do want to ad one thing though, as many of your questions are about HOW to do things. and you seam to question and analyze a lot of what people say.

that is a great :) it means that you have your own ideas on how to do things.
    as everyone mentioned its great to follow tutorials to learn, but if you find another way to achieve the same result, DO IT!

we all do things very differently in the industry, and in the end the only thing that matters is the result, not how you get there.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    The high poly does not have to be made inside of Zbrush or Mudbox. You can by all means make the high poly inside of 3ds Max or Maya. I really just use Zbrush for sculpting purposes, for stylized or organic models. For everything else, I just use 3ds Max. I find it's easier to control bevels and edges inside of 3ds Max.
  • JOANNY91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,
    Thx you all for your quick and very interesting answers
    I was suprised to see how quick u answered and with "kindness"
    I m glad to know this forum

(sorry again for my english)
    I wish u , all of you, a good day(or night)

Regards,
    Joanny
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    As someone who's also relatively new to modeling, reading through these answers was super helpful - especially w/r/t basic workflow between high- and low-poly modeling. And, Joanny, your English is perfectly fine and I think your models look great!