Home Technical Talk

[3Ds Max] Animation layer - use bone !! I need help

Hi , I am new to 3Ds Max , I have one Robot model , I use bone to create animation on him , and also use animation layer to create different animations like Idle and Running.

But something wrong when I rotate bone in Running animation layer . So I need your help , thank you so much .

Here is some image about my work :(

Here is my model with Base layer and Idle animation layer

71rq4.jpg

I turn off the Idle animation layer

enax.jpg

And create a new animation layer named Running

7wus2.jpg

Then I choose bone to create running animation by rotate it

29tg1.jpg

But something went wrong when the leg does not rotate in correct direction

lvfqr.jpg

But when I delete the Idle animation layer , everything was fine .

pikeh.jpg

I think something in Idle animation layer still linked to Running layer , I don't know how :poly122: , please help me . My purpose is not to delete Idle animation layer while creating Running animation layer, thank you for your help. I am a newbie to 3Ds Max :(

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I can't reproduce your problem. I typically create one animation per max file, and use animation layers for adjustments.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few things only exist on the layers they are created, like constraints and controllers. Which causes a lot of problems for people if they make changes after they've made layers.

So for example if you're on the run layer and you make changes to the rig, those changes won't effect the other layers. You can also assign various constraints and controllers to the same object but on different layers, which causes all kinds of havoc if you ever collapse. In order to use animation layers you need to always go back to the base layer and make your changes, or destroy all of the layers, make your changes and apply them from scratch after it's been fixed.

I also work like Monster does and only use them to make adjustments in very specific cases, but even then I normally apply them, tweak it and collapse it. I try to stay away from leaving animation layers on because you can accidentally screw them up very easily. You can assign a layer to a part or a group of parts and then select just one part and forget about the other layers it belongs to.

So for example I select the whole body and I assign a layer then I select the arm and it doesn't show a layer so I forget the "whole body" layer exists and I apply another layer, now that piece has two layers affecting it. This quickly becomes chaotic and troublesome.

I tend use other tools like Biped or CAT that have their own layering systems that are much more straight forward and intuitive. But even then I don't use separate layers for separate animations, they still get used for adjustment and augmentation.

Biped has copy/paste tracks, which you can treat as a library of separate animations (run, walk, idle, jump ect). So you can work in one file but paste the track/animation you want to work on then copy it back to library.

Motion mixer works with standard objects and biped, but you are blending layers of animation together. You won't be changing the keys unless you mix it down and apply that motion to your rig, then you can adjust the keys, it just obliterates any other animation on the rig.
  • freebambino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much , I really appreciated your comment , I will try it :poly122:
  • pointcache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pointcache polycounter lvl 6
    tl:dr but afaik layers are for modifying anim, adding motion on top of motion not for actual management of anim tracks/files.
    Its like layers in photoshop you dont use one psd file with 1000 layers for all your photos.