Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

S.T.A.L.K.E.R knife [beginner]

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
sasu665 polycounter lvl 4
I'm trying modeling for few years but my skills is on level beginner (I think so)
I'm big fan of S.T.A.L.K.E.R and i made a knife model from game. Please - rate it and tell me what's wrong :D
lol1_zps7e412076.jpg~original
lol2_zpsbe9a8998.jpg~original
lol3_zpsa48b2c5b.jpg~original
lol4_zps25f4b28c.jpg~original
lol5_zps5c912080.jpg~original
lol6_zps51f4e987.jpg~original

Replies

• JamesTKirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesTKirk polycounter lvl 8
    Well the blade shape looks a bit weird. You should probably stick closer to reference.
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    It would be easier to see problems if you were to render it with a darker and glossier material. Right now the bevels look like they're too small, but right now it's hard to tell from your renders.

I've played a lot of Stalker, but they're old games and the weapons weren't very iconic so I don't remember what they looked like, so it'd also be a good idea to post a picture of what you're going for as well.
  • sasu665
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I fixed the blade. It's more straight now (I think it's better). Please, if you see some wrong things or parts on it, tell me. I hope it will be my best model so i wanna do it perfect. I need to spend a lot of time on watching tutorials of texturing :poly122:
    stalker1kopia_zps28c66eac.jpg~original
    stalker2kopia_zpsc1363d33.jpg~original

stalker3kopia_zps2574207b.jpg~original
    Here's my reference image. (I'm doing 3rd)
    85713-1319444267-skrin-knife1.jpg
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Looks good. Are you trying to make it high poly? If yes you should smooth your mesh either with turbosmooth in 3dsmax or with SubD in Maya or equivalents in other 3d apps.
  • pes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pes polycounter lvl 14
    would you show the wireframe?
  • sasu665
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    st1_zps6a77e75b.jpg~original
    st2_zps0891997c.jpg~original
    st3_zpsa0916b39.jpg~original
    It's hard to do perfect model in Anim8or so sorry about quality. Renders is in Blender. I can't use smooth cause it looks ugly and I don't know why. I'm still learning so i will try to use your evry advice.
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KnechtRuprecht polycounter lvl 6
    Work closer to your reference. This part here is wrong:
    vwyxxig.jpg
    Compare it to other Bayonets.
    You can Smooth thinks in Blender correctly by using the Edgesplit Modifier from the Modifier panel. Just select it and hit "Smooth" at the left hand side in the Tools directory.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Work closer to your reference. This part here is wrong:
    vwyxxig.jpg
    Compare it to other Bayonets.
    You can Smooth thinks in Blender correctly by using the Edgesplit Modifier from the Modifier panel. Just select it and hit "Smooth" at the left hand side in the Tools directory.

Or just use the new split functions in blender
  • sasu665
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1_zps369fdf35.jpg~original
    2_zps3913a3c8.jpg~original
    i've added smooth and i can't see difference. Maybe grip is ugly. I will add new images with fixed blade, because i have week PC and rendering is very long.
    Thanks for any tips :)
  • sasu665
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've made new grip. It's hard to modeling on my PC. I saw Blue Screen of Death three times today. It sucks as my modeling skills :poly141:. Thanks again for spending time on commenting my hardships. You are awesome :)
    Please, if you see some wrong things or parts on it, tell me.
    7_zps0b549b85.jpg~original
    8_zps29b12f72.jpg~original
    6_zps23009e94.jpg~original
    9_zps2bacdd9d.jpg~original
  • sasu665
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is wireframe with new grip. Three pictures was rendered in half hour. It's slow i know:).
    w1_zps6ca8b22e.jpg~original
    w2_zps478ba6f6.jpg~originalw3_zps0044abd6.jpg~original
    Thanks for support.
  • sasu665
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for advice ProjectEagleeye :)
    And again i've made new grip and again i think it's better. I've rendered wireframe too and as you can see it isn't as dark pinch as before
    st2_zps2dc1a05b.jpg~original
    st3_zps81c4f83e.jpg~original
    And what do you think about knife. I mean what do you think about entire model. And one more question: Is it good idea to texture it?

P.S.
    sorry about my language. I'm from Poland and my English isn't good :poly136:
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    You don't have to render in that high resolution,1280x1024 would be fine and would cut down render times by half.
    Looking nice,waiting for low poly.
  • sasu665
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At the moment i don't know what to do with it, cause i can't texturing :(.
    Maybe I will do another model. Any ideas? But no character:poly124:
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    Do you want to learn to texture? If you do, you might as well start now. The modern PBR workflow is pretty new so it can be hard to find tutorials for it, but this is a great resource for learning it:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136390

Here's a more traditional workflow that's pretty good. It goes through the whole creation process and I think it'd be quite valuable to see:
    http://cgi.tutsplus.com/tutorials/next-gen-weapon-creation-part-1-the-high-poly-model--cg-782

The texturing in this tutorial is not PBR, but I think it gives a good idea of what's involved; combined with the PBR bible, you should get the hang of things nicely I think.

If you want to move on to modelling a new project, I would highly recommend that you move completely into Blender for modelling if you haven't yet. Anim8or is so far behind blender in every aspect as far as I know, so it's just holding you back. https://blendercookie.com has some great intro to modeling tutorials for blender if you'd like to get started there.

Good Luck!
  • sasu665
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whats better? Blender or 3ds Max 2009? And of course what's easier?
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    I prefer Blender, but that's what I've always used. Max is pretty industry standard, although 2009 is a bit outdated.
  • sasu665
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there!
    Much time has passed. I was training my skills in Blender and i had an accident:(

I've made a sabre model and texture it. I think it isn't bad. What do you think about it? I wanna do knife from S.T.A.L.K.E.R again. I will texture it and i hope it will be great:)

1_zpsf25b553f.jpg~original
    2_zpsf0ae86f3.jpg~original
    3_zpsb29c0ddd.jpg~original
    4_zpsfb81bc81.jpg~original