Home Technical Talk

Need ExactFlat uv unwrapping For Patterning Skin Tight clothing on a Cosplay Model

Hi my name is Kay Pike, Pleased to meet you ^^ Here’s some examples of what I'm screwing around with www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=699004110136756 I basically want to make a Model of my measurements (easy for me in 3dsmax also getting a scan done) then be able to draft pattern lines for near skin tight bodysuits, PVC patterns etc. More obvious image of what I want example.jpg

Pretty much want an exactflat http://www.exactflat.com/software-for-apparel-manufacturers without needing all the features or bulk. I've looked into the Rhino stuff that looks amazing (Particularly StiffBoundary on squish that will preserve the boundary lengths which is key for sewing) but upon trying it you cannot Squish, smash, or unpeel anything imported from outside of rhino :/ If I could convert on obj somehow to magic rhino BUT rhino is too awkward to even try to craft shapes in

Normal Pelt Mapping and UV unwrapping isn't cutting it in 3dsm as it will change the length of my edges for my planned pattern cuts. I’m looking for a way to flatten and iron-out poly surface sections of the mesh (where I draw my patterns) with the exterior edges retaining their length for sewing. I haven’t done much of this in 7 years however and if I’m missing some obvious settings let me now ^^

Working backward from a pattern or unwrap to a mesh would be cool to but it’s not really necessary, here’s a pattern: www.dropbox.com/s/9w1i4ajix6etshn/patternbodysuit.ai

You’d think there would be a fashion way of doing skin tight well but they are very barbaric and slow especially re-digitizing your paper patterns, also CG is way more fun. I Can fudge the model when I get my mad gains from the gym annually etc. ^^
If I could make my costumes go faster Oh what a dream that would be! Resources, things to try, ..Ironing out and compressing without changing boundary length. Any help! Any direction! :thumbup:
10474647_697433366960497_4889819999610054996_n.jpg

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the best software i can think of for this is Marvelous Designer. It's used in the fashion industry for not only meauring but also simulating cloth.

It's a very powerful piece of kit even if you don't get completely into its features.

In terms of having yourself scanned accurately... 123D isn't that great, i'd suggest contacting someone like Lee Perry Smith (http://ir-ltd.net/) about the possibility of getting yourself scanned there. (there are other scanners out there, probably some closer to you if you're not in the UK).
  • KayPike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the best software i can think of for this is Marvelous Designer. It's used in the fashion industry for not only meauring but also simulating cloth.

It's a very powerful piece of kit even if you don't get completely into its features.

Yea.. MD blew my mind when I thought it was exactly what I wanted too....I screwed around in MArvelous designer for hours, you cannot get accurate patterns in 2d for it. Next time you feel like goofing off try building any crotch with a pattern you'll see what I mean. Its nice of you to respond and all And I suppose I havent listed everything I have tried. MD is Superb for making clothing for 3d characters (except form fitting) but complete waste of time for real life sewing ^^ Its a really fun program going from 2d roughly to 3d roughly though, kinda like playing with barbies or somthing.
    In terms of having yourself scanned accurately... 123D isn't that great, i'd suggest contacting someone like Lee Perry Smith (http://ir-ltd.net/) about the possibility of getting yourself scanned there. (there are other scanners out there, probably some closer to you if you're not in the UK).
    123d was just for lols ^^ I'm getting scanned @Frog3d in calgary here on monday ^^ http://www.3dcutting.com/contact_us.html also modeling is easy for me (in real life and 3dstudio lol)

http://www.exactflat.com/ ExactFlat in simple form is what I need, or a way to get Rhino to squish/unroll/smash imported objects would be a good start. I've made no other progress today x.x Thanks for your input tho~
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it possible to reverse engineer something like the red thing? Unstitch it and lay it out flat, photograph it build that as flat shapes, then try and warp the forms together (maybe Marvellous Designer could help there?

I've tried building flat plans from 3D before for fancy dress costumes (nothing as exacting as skin tight, either, was an HEV suit torso) and it's pretty damn hard to account for flexibility and/or stretch.

I was using Pepakura for the flattening. It's really meant for making paper craft plans from 3D models, but it did alright. Might work for you?
  • KayPike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Farfarer wrote: »
    Is it possible to reverse engineer something like the red thing? Unstitch it and lay it out flat, photograph it build that as flat shapes, then try and warp the forms together (maybe Marvellous Designer could help there?
    It is possible but the "good" body suit I have isn't "good" enough, thats part of the problem, and getting a good sewable takes like.. that one took 14 hours to get that close via trail and error and 4 years being a profesional designer with my own fashion line http://canadacosplay.com/ this is hard stuff and I'm trying to re-invent the wheel as its a very square wheel. You can get it into MD but it does not at all let you actively adjust the pattern/3d accurately. Feel free to poke around at it heres the pattern you see: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9w1i4ajix6etshn/patternbodysuit.ai Ive also tried the same prinicpal with the garment maker in 3dstudio to no aval x.x
    I've tried building flat plans from 3D before for fancy dress costumes (nothing as exacting as skin tight, either, was an HEV suit torso) and it's pretty damn hard to account for flexibility and/or stretch.
    I concur^^ I have similar experiences.
    This is why I need a dumb simple less bulky version of exactflat.
    I was using Pepakura for the flattening. It's really meant for making paper craft plans from 3D models, but it did alright. Might work for you?
    Yea... I've tried the pepakura programs out there! Great minds think alike ^^ it is unfortunately sooooo close but so far. It retains the seam length but cant handle warping for the curvature.. not to mention the poly count. I ended up with like ps1 quality bra cups :P Super low res is not sexy ^^
  • KayPike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2945hxv.jpg
    Can get some very beautiful and tidy unwraps done *sigh*
    Just can not figure out how to retain the boundary length. Soon *shakes fist* soon
  • fmfernandez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! I was wondering if you could find something useful? I want to get 2D sewable patterns from 3D cloth too, so I am curious if you were succesful in your quest?