Home Technical Talk

Which engine should I use?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
mjeruzal polycounter lvl 5
This summer I'm going to make my graduation work about modular modelling for gamedev. It's going to be neo-renaissance stylized location (hall + few rooms) using elements characteristic to Karol Poznanski Palace in Lodz, Poland.

The whole project must be presented in some game engine and I have no idea which one should I choose. I was using Unity the other day but I don't think it will allow me to produce pretty realistic effects easily.

What do you propose?

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    very much depends on what kinda workflow your using, and how you want to work. For the best visuals i would use Unreal Engine 4 or Cry Engine.
  • mjeruzal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firstly, I'm going to create high poly modules that match the grid size and then make some bakes to plane. Then create low poly and unwrap things that require unique uvw. After that I'll prepare 3 sets of maps (2048x2048):
    - main set with tileables (like walls, floors etc.) and other repeated objects;
    - trims and decals set to add some unique details to tileables;
    - set for objects that require unique unwrapping;
    Each set with diffuse, normals, specular and gloss (or I'll try PBR).
    Finally, I'm going to unwrap lows to match the maps I created in the main set and after that add some decals and trims.
    Every module is going to be single prefab and I'm going to build the whole level in game engine editor so it's necessary to work with grid.

Don't know if it's the answer for your question.
  • mjeruzal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump.

Which is easier to get better results, UE4 or CE? How to get started?
  • Nox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
  • Fogbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fogbrain polycounter lvl 5
    Using the old UE3/UDK, it was a daunting task, but after about a week of messing with it I got to doing an environment, and while there was some headaches in the way, it was a blast.

Now with UE4, the whole thing is much easier from a newbie viewpoint because they have so many tutorials explaining everything in detail. Also UE4 looks damn fantastic, it's cleaner, clearer and more robust than ever and it's pretty much top dog of editors right now for a reason.

Getting started in UE4 is simple, open it up, it'll have embedded tutorials, the Youtube channel, and their documentation on their website.
  • mjeruzal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for suggestion :) I'll take a look at Unreal.