Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Arch Vis Kitchen Design

I've been working on a design for a kitchen. It's still a work in progress, but there's plenty here for a pair of fresh eyes to take a look at.

Let me know what you think!

Kitchen-Render-23.png

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    put a humanoid dummy in there. the scale is looking really weird. either the chairs are huge or that is the smallest cofee cup ever. and in both cases nether match the height of the table.

the assets them self look nice, but you need to take another look at the logistic side of things. make sure its actually practical.
  • stryker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree. I've been scratching my head on that. I modeled everything to a real world scale. Counter heights are 36", seats are 18", coffee mug is diameter 3.25".

Need to dig into why it looks that way...thought maybe I'd lost my bearings after staring at it for a few weeks. Thanks for the feedback!
  • stryker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took ten inches off the width of the island and it looks much better, thanks lotet!

Any other comments and critiques are appreciated!

Kitchen-Render-25.png
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    hope this helps; apologies for my messy handwriting; any questions just drop me a PM

6gpF8Jl.jpg
  • Mr Whippy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Whippy polycounter lvl 7
    To really critique it we need to know what the goal of the design is.

Is the space really shaped like that with windows like that, or were they just made up? I'm guessing it's made up?

Can you make it up differently?

Also with all design the end product is usually something intended to sell the design. So even if this design is good, the camera angle might not be the best to show off the design.

I'd go get some kitchen brochures from B&Q or Wikes, or your equivalent home store, and get some great inspirational ideas!

Where is the cooker and fridge? Usually you have these nearby the sink so it's a triangle shape. Having no cooker or fridge in sight suggests a long walk around this kitchen to do basic tasks.

Cheers

Dave
  • stryker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The goal of this design is to make me better at Architectural Renders.

Most of this came off the reference image below.

The shoes, the dishes, the countertop heights, the door widths, the cabinet widths, the light switch and coffee maker dimensions, the panel-front dishwasher dimensions, the back window dimensions and height were all dimensioned from objects in my house.

Both doors are 36" wide. If you trace along the back wall:
    • The door on the right is 36" wide
    • The first section of two cabinets is 36" wide
    • The gap in cabinets over the sink is 36" wide
    • The cabinets on the left are 36" wide
    • And the door on the left is also 36" wide.

I think a lot of the responses are based on the optical illusion from my camera settings.

In order to use the reference image (below) in the 3D setting, I had to apply some Camera Shift and use a camera sensor size of 70mm and a focal length of 45mm. This allowed my kitchen to perfectly overlay the original reference. I have since changed the angle of the camera, so the reference image below will no longer overlay the render above.

The back windows were made up, but loosely off the references at the bottom.

Hopefully this better explains my intent.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Kitchen base reference:

Kitchen-Reference-01.jpg

Window references:

wooden-double-glazed-round-top-windows-energy-star-fsc-certified-59509-1685569.jpg

06%20Windows%20Integrity%20Round%20Top.jpg
  • Mr Whippy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Whippy polycounter lvl 7
    Ah ok, I kinda get where you are looking now. To make nice renders.

Well 25% is probably just rendering skills, which are just toggling the right buttons really. 25% is probably the models. And then 25% is lighting, and then 25% is a good angle.
    The latter 75% of all that is kinda fluffy in nature.

You could have awesome render settings and models but they will only ever get a half decent final output in a design sense. The final image may not even do what it's intended to do even if the render is technically perfect and looks super realistic.

I've been meaning to do a nice kitchen piece for my portfolio of HQ rendering bits and bobs, and I've always drawn the best inspiration from making a great shot from people who do it to sell kitchens.

I'd go grab a brochure and think about how they set up their lighting and the fact it's a studio, not a real kitchen too.
    So shooting with a longer lens, less distortion, but everything still nicely in shot as they are a long way back way outside of the 'kitchen'

They use more than just artificial and ceiling lights etc. 50% of the light in these shots is studio lighting. Possibly even reflection cards all over too.

I literally just want to do one or two renders for a kitchen and bathroom and I have about 6 inches deep of A4 brochures for kitchens and bathrooms here full of amazing imagery and every single one looks desirable and I want it!

In the end what you've done is probably fine from every technical POV and practical POV.

But these types of work are almost always for some kind of design purpose, so you need to begin with these projects as a designer.
    All the technology, modelling, render settings, they are all kinda secondary.

The primary task is picking the right mood, the right angles to convey the brand messages or the feeling the kitchen design is designed to instil. To sell the product to people.

Also note that your reference images don't feel nice. I don't want to buy or want to have any of those elements in my home and that is because the reference images are just that, reference.
    Think about how the manufacturer of those windows might have them in their brochure to really emphasise them. I'd really get some decent quality brochures and just get inspired by them away from the computer. Sit and look through them sat in your own kitchen. Just get into the kitchen mindset :)

I'm not sure if I'm even making sense, and I'm probably babbling and talking bollocks.

You've clearly got the skills to do a good render and model good models.
    But you need to look beyond that, almost forget it. Become a salesman and sell that kitchen to me.
    Pretend that the kitchen is real, and you have a real camera and a bunch of studio lights and you need to take a shot that will sell it!
    Think about ALL that first, and then deal with making a CG version second :D

Keep up the great work, and I look forward to seeing your updates!

Dave
  • stryker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, that's helpful. Need to put on the designer and salesmen hats to create more immersive and desireable renders.