Home General Discussion

Make shabby walls out of two objects with separate tiled texture

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Tosyk polycounter lvl 13
Hi, everybody
Could you please take a look at the pictures and tell me if anybody is aware of a valid workflow of making this kind of walls out of two (or 3) pieces where each peace is a separate tile texture (painted wall, bricks and concrete).
Did anybody deal with anything similar?
I wanna use this design pipline to have posibility to create what ever I want in 3d with low res tiled textures in general instead of heaving 2 polygons and textures in high resolution.

p.s.: i need it for a realtime engine that does not support shaders or normal/specular maps.

Thanks.

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    for things like this, a vertex paint shader seems like the best bet
  • Tosyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tosyk polycounter lvl 13
    passerby wrote: »
    for things like this, a vertex paint shader seems like the best bet
    thanks for your answer, but as i said I need this for an ancient engine without a lot of usefull shader.
    any thoughts on that?
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Can you use alpha? It seems barbaric now but you could put one plane in front of the other with an alpha mask in 2nd uv set
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Do the textures need to tile both horizontally and vertically?

If you can settle with just horizontal tiling you could get some nice blending but it will look a little linear.

Also you could dedicate one texture to nontiling blend elements
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    if you cant use vertex colour to mask than i would use decals.
  • Tosyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tosyk polycounter lvl 13
    thanks for you answers,
    since there will be a lot of this kind of walls, so using planes with alpha channel it's tough for engine, imo. And I really want to use tiled textures in both directions.
    Only thing I do have it's ingame lightmaps, which is looks more like bunch of dark spots all over the corners.

p.s.: it's for LS3D engine, btw.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well then I'd look carefully at what has been done before with it, and steal (ahem borrow) ideas from that.

If you Google LS3D engine, it leads to Hidden & Dangerous 2, so here's a destroyed city in that game.

164182-hidden-dangerous-2-windows-screenshot-looking-over-a-bombed.jpg

Looks like just damage painted into the textures, and reused a ton.

Lots of big blurry pixels, a real shortcoming of this old approach. But you have limited memory (as always) and you have to downscale your textures to fit, or else you have to be super-creative with your texture reuse and accept some harsh seams at edges.