Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio: Zack Gordon- Environment/Prop Artist

Hello everyone,

I figured that it was about time for me to make a forum post of my portfolio and hopefully get some wonderful feedback from the community.

I'm a 3rd year student at AI-Sacramento I will have to put my website up for board review to determine whether or not I will be able to graduate. I was hoping some of you would be willing to check out my website/portfolio before then.

Zackarygordon.wix.com/portfolio

Thanks again for checking out my stuff and good luck to all my fellow artist out in the world.

Quick preview of some stuff.
3ZxsJ67.jpg?1
RlyhhRY.jpg?1
TAU5Duw.png?1

Replies

• LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Hi, welcome to Polycount :)

Always been a fan of Skulltula's, and I like your take on it.

But to be completely honest, If you're plan is to be an artist within the games industry, I'd seriously think about taking on a single prop or small diorama like scene in order to work on something using current techniques. Your images (especially the first one) look like they were created years ago. The techniques and the material definition looks very dated. So i would definitely suggest visiting the tutorial area on polycount and maybe working on a small project, using more 'current' techniques.

All the best with your progression. The world of game art can be a very competitive and daunting one, but with persistence and the desire to improve, it can be a very rewarding one.

All the best :)
  • elendeanima
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, welcome to Polycount :)

Always been a fan of Skulltula's, and I like your take on it.

But to be completely honest, If you're plan is to be an artist within the games industry, I'd seriously think about taking on a single prop or small diorama like scene in order to work on something using current techniques. Your images (especially the first one) look like they were created years ago. The techniques and the material definition looks very dated. So i would definitely suggest visiting the tutorial area on polycount and maybe working on a small project, using more 'current' techniques.

All the best with your progression. The world of game art can be a very competitive and daunting one, but with persistence and the desire to improve, it can be a very rewarding one.

All the best :)

Thanks for the heads up, I will definitely work on creating and polishing smaller works and props, with a focus on current industry methods. My passion really shows up when I'm working on hand painted and stylized models so I think I will start with that.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Awesome, that's a really good attitude to take dude.

That's a good idea, your hand painted prop work is definitely the strongest on your portfolio.

I really like the alien-bug :)
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Hate to break it to ya man, but I'll tell ya straight up, you won't get anywhere with that portfolio, even entry level. Sorry bud, just being honest. Spend any time you have modeling/texturing. Don't complete whole scenes, that will come later.....just make a few kick ass high poly sculpts. Some low poly hand painted is okay, but mainly hardsurface. Best of luck, and check out the monthly art challenges here and join. You'll learn a ton, looking at how others tackle the same things your attempting to accomplish.

I had trouble finding work after being laid off last year and that was with 16 years experience. Granted I was looking for a higher salary range, but their wasn't much to pick from. Yet for employers, there is usually a stack of resumes/reels or websites to go through. You won't stand out with what you're currently putting forward.

Good luck, (but really it'll come down to hard work, and if your willing to put in the time.)
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Your two environment pieces are missing shadows. Unless you're trying to go for the "N64 look" with your Zelda themed dungeon, having no shadows makes your scene look lifeless and lack depth.