Home General Discussion

Question About Zbrush Retailers Price

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
TychoVII polycounter lvl 13
I'm looking to bite the bullet on Zbrush and I noticed that the price for a commercial license is about $150 cheaper on a bunch of their listed retailer's sites. I was just curious if anybody had any insight as to why that is. Do you still get all the benefits such as free upgrades from Pixologic? I can't see any noticeable difference between the licensing, but I also didn't go digging through any fine print. Has anybody here bought from those retailers?

Replies

• iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    I don't have experience with buying Zbrush this way, but this is how I got my initial Painter license some time ago -- I found a place selling it and a set of Photoshop plugins for less than the normal upgrade price of Painter. It's certainly not unheard of and I've never had issues with a license from an authorized reseller. Unfortunately, the few of the retailers listed that I've dealt with before don't seem to be carrying it now, so I can't advise on that front either. But I found a couple of the ones that have the discounted prices and don't see anything particularly sketchy about them. You could always email or call customer support for the reseller and ask them.
  • LisaFenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I bought ZBrush directly from Pixologic, but with a huge student discount price. I believe I had purchased it for $350-400. It was so long ago that unfortunately I cannot recall! However it does come with free upgrades. I would email customer support and ask.
  • arcitecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arcitecht polycounter lvl 6
    Its probably just them using the usual model for distibution; retailers sell the product cheaper than the "manufacturer"(developer, in this case). To answer your question directly though, I bought my license for zbrush 4 from Novedge and have been able to get every update Pixologic has released since so you ought not worry about it.
  • TychoVII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! I emailed one of the retailers and got a response. They said this:
    We are selling the same product. We mainly cut our commission so we can offer our clients a better deal.

I'm not really sure how to interpret that, but I decided to go ahead and order from CGRiver. So we'll see how it goes.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Yes please let us know. I am looking at buying in the near future as well.
  • EricHall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricHall polycounter lvl 6
    I bought my license through CGRiver, which is actually labeled as CGWorld on that page. It's definitely a valid license, just took a little bit of time (a day maybe?) for the Pixologic team to approve my purchase and send me the install file and license number.

edit: Oh and I forgot to mention, right after the payment went through and all, I was only dealing with Pixologic from that point forward.
  • TychoVII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So far I can pretty much confirm what EricHall said. It took about a day and a half before I could actually download it and as far as I could tell I was still mostly dealing with Pixologic. So far so good. If I ever have any issues I'll revisit this thread.
  • ddoan88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ddoan88 polycounter lvl 7
    I would like to reconfirm what others have already said. CGriver is legit. Picked up a copy of Zbrush 4r7 on sale on their website. Took about 28 Hours until I heard from Pixologic on my serial key and download link. Highly recommend CGriver again to anyone who sees a sale on their website. It was a pleasant experience.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I got my license from Novedge years ago. Haven't had any issues and have easily been able to get every update since then.
  • Rob Macko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rob Macko polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the info everyone. I have been looking at purchasing Zbrush R7 from Novedge as they appeared to be reputable.
  • mentalfrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rob Macko wrote: »
    Thanks for the info everyone. I have been looking at purchasing Zbrush R7 from Novedge as they appeared to be reputable.

At first I was skeptical at using a 3rd party to make a purchase but I highly recommend Novedge. I've been using them for a few years now and have bought multiple copies of Zbrush and other software from them.

They're quick and hassle free. Even though the purchase is made through Novedge the serial number, install files and upgrades all go through Pixologic as if you bought directly from them. The discount is nice and Novedge even offers free webinars now and then. :thumbup::thumbup: