Home General Discussion

Best program for product design output

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
nufftalon polycounter lvl 11
I have a client that needs me to model a watch similar to samsung touchscreen watch. The client wants the final as a video for hdtv resolution.

I was wondering what would be the best way to go about the animation. (Just a product rotation on an angle)

I have 3dsmax, zbrush, photoshop, keyshot, and maya

So I need to make a turntable animation witht he watch on an angle and it needs to be hdtv ready for final.

thanks in advance.

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    just use maya. Key your rotation, set up your resolution and safe action gates to 720p (or higher, HDTV resolution can mean many things) then output an image sequence to compile together in your post tool of choice
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the response.I will look into maya will it keep the materials and bounced lighting and all that in the filse sequencially rendered images? I ask because I never rendered out anything moving before. (except a zbrush turntable)

I understand you can compile images in after effects or whatever.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    If you're looking for more complex compositing options then you can render out specific passes. In general when i have a pre-rendered sequence to work on i do a pass for lighting, color, and specular.

Once i have all those sequences i bring it into premier where i have some flexibility in the blending layers. The other advantage is quicker turnaround if your client wants small adjustments to certain areas, you dont have to re-render the entire thing.

Though a turntable isnt the most lengthy or complex of sequences so that might be overkill so you could get by with just doing a straight render of all layers at once
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks MikeF good to know if I ever do something that is complex however passes would def offer the most control, also this product is mostly black rubber and black plastic its nothing crazy so for this I will try to get away with a quick render without passes. I will have to uv and texture the product still because it has numbers on the keypad buttons.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    No problem. I'd recommend reading up on product visualization render setups if this is your first foray into things. There are a lot of shader and lighting setup tutorials out there that can give you a jump start into getting a decent output.
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was hoping to just use keyshot lol but I knew it wasn't gonna be that easy. I will chec up on shader set ups for plastic shader and rubber. I know mental ray has a library I believe and you just apply it and tweak the values
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You probably could get away with using Keyshot if you're just doing a simple turntable. It'd certainly be capable of getting you some high quality results without a lot of dicking about with shaders or lighting. The more complex lighting stuff is probably worth learning, but if you want something quick, it'd probably be worth at least grabbing the trial of Keyshot and seeing whether it can do what you need.
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks again everyone for the help. I ended up modeling the watch in max very minimal zbrush, rendered in keyshot. Keyshot labels came in handy. I made the labels beforehand in illustrator.
    DF4AcH0.jpg

The video
    http://www.mediafire.com/watch/445x07wiqco9dck/watchfinal.23.avi

Iam still waiting to see if client approves animation. All in all keyshot was a lifesaver in this project.