Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Sculpt WiP

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
Edited and posting at the top so people won't have to scroll so far down:

Started this project to teach myself zbrush and the whole character worflow baking/normals etc .Shes finally finished..Bad texturing and uvs etc but at least i learned how to bake for the first time.I should have enough time to join Petro/Blood now that this project is over.
headshot_by_theartistictiger-d7oowui.jpg
bodyshot_by_theartistictiger-d7oox9t.jpg
wires_by_theartistictiger-d7ooxj6.jpg
textureshot_by_theartistictiger-d7ooz81.jpg

Replies

• ISmokeRodeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should post side views or 3\4... As shown it look good but it could be distorted from the sides and the depth could be off.
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    It looks like she doesn't have a cranium, but that may just be how close your camera is and the odd perspective that gives.

In general, the center of the eyes sit slightly above the vertical center line of the head. This is true of all races. There is plenty of variation though, but the key is to understand the norm and making a choice to branch out or stylize.

The same goes for eyes. You have them too large and too wide apart. A lot of Asian art tends to make the eyes too large, combined with the brain's natural tendency to focus on the eyes and perceive eyes as larger anyway, leads to this problem when sculpting.

Bridge of the nose is too wide, or just undefined. Even on asians, where that bridge is diminished, there is still more definition than that.

Overall, I see that you are getting ahead of yourself and trying to do detail sculpting work before solid forms and places of the face are setup. Get the nose's basic forms solidified, get the planes of the face setup, get the ear in better shape to sculpt on later. Generally drop the subd level down much lower than you're working, and don't be afraid to throw away the sculpting work you've already done at high detail, it will all change anyway once you fix the current problems.

Lastly, it helps to work from reference when studying, just so you have something you can compare your work to, so you can tell if you're doing something wrong. Post that reference here so that we can better crit your work.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just started her yesterday so haven't really worked on her head, just small details in the face etc., but here's a better view and ref for the face. going for a stylized look,.. thanks for the pointers, i'll upload progress next friday.

farfromfinished_by_theartistictiger-d7hrhqj.jpg
    10264123_642171875873365_6829148955658723361_o.jpg
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's Friday so updates are here! Worked on the face a lot,also started her body going to work on the hands/feet Sunday,received plenty of help in the hangouts from Assani and the guys(Thanks again)...May bring her into photoshop and start working out some clothing ideas.

wip_2body_by_theartistictiger-d7imcy7.jpg

wip_2head_by_theartistictiger-d7imc96.jpg
  • Fenn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenn polycounter lvl 3
    Hey Mentu,
    The overall feel is getting better. I would suggest softening those orbital sockets some. Maybe the brow could come out smoothly just a tad more. I would check the cranium shape in profile view. Definitely looking great man. Keep it up.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K thanks man,noting that all down.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick rough clothing and hairstyle block out..probably gonna go through a ton of changes.
    wip_03_by_theartistictiger-d7lb7rw.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Do you have a ref for the outfit or just in your head? Would probably be massive help to have somethng to follow. :D
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K more progress, added a bit of detail and changes...finally learned how fibermesh worked and i've gotten some great results..But i plan on making this a gameready char so i went with sculpted hair .Similar to what NaughtyDog did with henry on the last of us using some noise on my brush and just sculpting for a while. ..Hmm should be able to retopo soon i don't plan on adding any more accessories...hopefully i can complete her in time to start working on the Petro/Blood.
    wip_5_by_theartistictiger-d7n5s0o.jpg
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wip_6_by_theartistictiger-d7n9frx.jpg
    ....had to redo her pants some weird issues with the first ones, didn't like her face before so changed it up a bit, maybe a few more touches then on to retopo( I'll add the eyelashes once i go in maya).
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finals posted at the top.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    This model is really being killed by the texture job. It appears very flat and I'm not even seeing a lot of the detail from the high poly, especially in the face. I'm not sure whether you're going for something stylized and cartoony or something moe realistic, but in either case you could use some more color variation and information in your textures. You should also consider repacking your UVs to make more efficient use of your space - you're wasting nearly half of your texture space currently.
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    Started this project to teach myself zbrush and the whole character worflow baking/normals etc .Shes finally finished..Bad texturing and uvs etc but at least i learned how to bake for the first time.I should have enough time to join Petro/Blood now that this project is over.

If your goal is to simply understand the workflow then what you've done is ok. I see a nice sculpt that has textures and material that do not match in level of care and polish. Texturing and materials is equally as important as modeling/sculpting, I would suggest it to take the same level of reiteration and effort to avoid consistency issues.

Overall, good job, I like the face and the overall body proportion.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku wrote: »
    This model is really being killed by the texture job. It appears very flat and I'm not even seeing a lot of the detail from the high poly, especially in the face. I'm not sure whether you're going for something stylized and cartoony or something moe realistic, but in either case you could use some more color variation and information in your textures. You should also consider repacking your UVs to make more efficient use of your space - you're wasting nearly half of your texture space currently.

I was going for a slightly stylized realism,yeah i did a bad job texturing and uv layouts especially, second time texturing, i'll make sure to keep all of that in mind for Petro/Blood, thanks for the critique, really appreciated.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad wrote: »
    If your goal is to simply understand the workflow then what you've done is ok. I see a nice sculpt that has textures and material that do not match in level of care and polish. Texturing and materials is equally as important as modeling/sculpting, I would suggest it to take the same level of reiteration and effort to avoid consistency issues.

Overall, good job, I like the face and the overall body proportion.

Thanks,will keep that in mind.