Home General Discussion

Modo Steam Edition On Sale For 90 Bucks!

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to point out that the Steam Summer Sale has arrived and that Modo SE, our Steam edition of Modo is 40% off right now bringing the price down from 150 USD to 90. It's a pretty sweet deal some of you might think is worth checking out.

Modo SE on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/244290/

Replies

• Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    A good deal indeed. Modo SE got me to switch over and I have no regrets doing so.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    so whats limited in Modo SE, if the main edition of it coast over 1k?
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice. A good intro to Modo for cheaps :D
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »

Hmm the usual. Limited export options, polycount limit. Dynamics and rendering tab not available as its focused on game art. Comes with some options that make setting up and exporting into Dota a breeze.

Possible upgrade path to the full thing in the future.

Its a great way to learn and play with the application without breaking the bank. Once I started using it, I honestly wanted to upgrade to the full thing... The only thing I risked with using SE was time spent learning it (which wasnt hard at all with proper changes to the controls and viewport navigation).
  • Greg_Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Dataday pretty much covered it but I should also mention that it does not have the animation capabilities present in full modo and rigging is limited to rebinding for existing rigs in games like DOTA.

The features that are intact and pretty much unchanged from Modo 701 are Modeling, Sculpting, Painting, Baking, Topology, Preview rendering, and UV's. It's a pretty substantial set of tools to get started with. Also while we do not have a system in place for upgrade directly to full Modo, we are willing to work something out with you if you decide to move on to the full commercial version.

Another thing worth pointing out is we also have a .blx loader for full Modo which lets you bring over any assets created in SE so you don't lose that work when moving to the full version.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so in other words is moping the floor with maya lt.

What is the polygon limit, would it be able to handle subd work for say a detailed gun. close to a million polys?

EDIT: Ah found the big limitation, no commercial use so cant be used by a freelancer
  • Anthony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony polycounter lvl 2
    There is also a 7K poly limit on exported FBX files, while Maya LT has a limit of 65K (that might go up), also Maya LT has rigging and animation support, and can be used commercially, and is not tied to Dota 2 like Modo SE is.

As far as i can tell, the only advantage MSE has over MLT, is the price tag.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya so the no commercial limitation after the fact, it actually speaks nothing of the 7k poly limitation in the steam page
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya so the no commercial limitation after the fact, it actually speaks nothing of the 7k poly limitation in the steam page

Technically, commercial use is ok if its specifically for steam workshop items. Same thing with the $99 3d coat license on steam, and previously the substance designer ones (though they changed that with their new indie licensing, which is awesome).

As far as comparing it to LT, Modo SE is more feature rich and carries a lower price tag, but as is theres a limit on commercial use. Thing is though, a full license of Modo (especially when they have the sales going on) is roughly around the same price zone as Maya LT. Modo will have updates that dont penalize you if you skip a version or two, LT wont have any at all unless you are a subscriber.

So in the long run a full Modo license is still cheaper than even Maya LT. Lots of pros and cons to consider with each version. Modo SE is strictly geared towards learning and SteamWorkshop use, but its not much more expensive than one of todays video games. Like Greg Brown from the foundry said, they will work out an upgrade path if one desires it.

Anyways I recommend it if someone is modo curious, otherwise they might not see the immediate value in SE if they dont work with the steam workshop.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Although one thing Maya LT has that Modo SE doesn't is support for scripts and plugins.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Farfarer wrote: »
    Although one thing Maya LT has that Modo SE doesn't is support for scripts and plugins.

How severe do you think that is? I heard it was very dependent on scripts and plugins, but 801 have implemented a lot of that stuff natively?
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oddly enough though, Farfarers vertex normal script works with Modo SE. It might be a hit or a miss on what works with it.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maya lt script support is pretty bad, only supports Mel now, which is hugly limiting, and a lot of Mel script that already exist are broken.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Dataday wrote: »
    Oddly enough though, Farfarers vertex normal script works with Modo SE. It might be a hit or a miss on what works with it.

Awesome! I loved that, when I used the trial of MODO last month!
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe compiled C++ plugins work for the moment (scripts and Python plugins don't) but they will be removed later.

I'm trying to see if some plugins will be allowed to work - some kind of whitelist. Mostly for my vertex toolkit and some UV stuff I'm working on that's useful for games.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Farfarer wrote: »
    I believe compiled C++ plugins work for the moment (scripts and Python plugins don't) but they will be removed later.

I'm trying to see if some plugins will be allowed to work - some kind of whitelist. Mostly for my vertex toolkit and some UV stuff I'm working on that's useful for games.

Im really grateful for all you are doing, Farfarer.
    Is it confirmed that they will remove C++ plugins later as well? I start to believe buying modo SE was a mistake :(
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Only issue I have is the 7k polygon export. But I might actually take the dive and get this.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Really like the look of Modo, shame about the 7k limit - guess they want to stop studios from getting higher poly models into game engines. If it was more like 15k - 25k max limit then I'd definitely get it.
  • Karaoke_Warrior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karaoke_Warrior polycounter lvl 13
    Does MeshFusion work with Modo SE?
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, it doesn't support plugins at all.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Spoon wrote: »
    How severe do you think that is? I heard it was very dependent on scripts and plugins, but 801 have implemented a lot of that stuff natively?
    Modo SE is still using 701 feature set, with no word of it getting an update at any point. With the inability to take your high poly outside Modo to bake, scripts become even more important.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    MeintevdS wrote: »
    Only issue I have is the 7k polygon export. But I might actually take the dive and get this.

7k is way too low, I want to export highpoly models, and games are starting to use up to 80k+ tris for a single character.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, that's why they sell another version that's more expensive but doesn't have those sorts of limits. :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    But that version is too expensive, and they don't offer a free student versions like Autodesk.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Well, practically. Modo has a student version that's also around $100.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    $150 and from what I remember reading about it takes more effort and proof to be eligible, compared to Autodesk's just make an account.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can buy it through Studica or something, then? You still have to prove you're a student (god forbid) but it's only the once.