Home Technical Talk

Maya question, from an art to 3D

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
exoddinary polycounter lvl 7
Hi guys, attached is an illustrator artwork, derived from a character design. I only make front T pose as first start, and I will draw side pose later on. This model will be used for unity (game).

I'm quite acquainted to Maya but I took minor training for modelling (but major in animation), however I still want to practice the whole process.

Anyway, for this sketch, I'm trying to know is ;

1) Practising the modeling using tutorial from real body implementable?

2) The blue on the top of his body is actually his scarf, do you think it should be modelled together in the first phase or add it later by 3rd party software like Marvelous Designer?

3) How do you suggest to put the eyes? By texture or eyeball?

Thank you so much for your response and help!

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1) As with any 3d modeling, consider the primitive shape for each form. This character could be viewed as made up of boxes or squashed cylinders: head, body, arms. You may want to draw a side view to help yourself visualize the shapes better.

2) Model the scarf in Maya, I'd wait until I have the body mostly finished. I think using cloth simulation for a stylized character would be too much trouble.

3) This is a design decision you should make, it has a large impact on the look and feel of your character; something you should have a good feel for before starting 3d. (that said, I think texture would be best)
  • exoddinary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you throttle, for the 2nd answer, I believe for game model it should be better stick together with the body am I right? I don't want the character looks bad when animated. There should be a cap on his back if its ok to put it Ill see
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So long as the topology of the scarf is similar to the body, and bone weights are set properly, it should animate fine. It's very common to do clothes this way in realtime games.
  • exoddinary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks throttle that helps a lot.
  • exoddinary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And heres my following question for Maya + Unity. This unity file is referrence to Unity-chan free asset in asset store.

As you can see down there theres a lot of sliced tris, why they are doing like that? why not the whole head?

Also, I tried to learn and re-UV mapping the fbx model. When I selected the face, it replaces the eye and even eyelashes of the model to face model (doesn't work properly).

Help! I am referring this to my current project :(
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Splitting a model into many sub-shapes depends on many things. I'm not familiar with this Unity-chan, but I can see that parts of the face are separate, eyes, eyebrows, eyelash, maybe even mouth. They could use vertex morphs or texture changes (or both) to animate the face easier than if it was a single model. For texture animation, say eye blinks, it's more efficient to have an image of eye animations than it is to have a large texture with the whole face + eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0IxYr0ohxk#t=62

I'm not sure I understand the problem you're having re-UVing the model.
  • exoddinary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! That solves the understanding! And yeah sorta Zelda style from what I meant.