Home General Discussion

How should i start a new game project?

i am currently working in unity just kinda getting my feet wet and trying out everything i am slightly knowledgeable in

modeling
texturing
rigging
animating
and
sculpting

how would i start? would i make a bunch of game assets and import them into unity?
would i make my rooms in unity or blender? (my current 3d program)

im just not axactly sure where to start

p.s
looking for someone to help me learn code or to work with me on projects (im really bad at coding)

Replies

• NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Before attempting a new project I would suggest either trying to find a programmer or trying to teach yourself programming. It can be difficult, but the fact is, any moderately sized game project will require programming knowledge.

If you can't find a programmer, I would suggest learning the basics of any major programming language first by doing some relatively simple non-game related projects, then from there, try to make a basic game in Unity (don't worry about the art either, just focus on the code.)

Alternatively, a good place to start to learn how to make a game with Unity would be by going through some of the well made tutorials that are available.

Here is a collection of some very high quality tutorials in my opinion. You'll be guided basically from start to finish to make a simple level for different types of games. Keep in mind, if you've never seen any code before it might be confusing or intimidating.

As with anything, don't be upset if you aren't seeing your desired results immediately. Programming requires a lot of practice just like art! Good luck.
  • Mrdeltawolf117
    Thank you for a strait forward answer and I will take your advice :) and where would you suggest looking for a programmer (to start with anyways I kind of would like to learn code anyways )
  • Dazz3r
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    also, have you researched the game project you want to do? or is it just a project to improve as an artist, I mean if this is a project that you would like to put into the public either free or paid, it helps to have some Research and development, if it is just a project to improve as an artist then hey, go for it.
    I may only be 17, but I have read a fair bit into R&D myself and it helps.
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    If you want to make stuff happen but can't code, maybe you should try a visual scripting editor like Playmaker:

http://www.hutonggames.com/
  • Ispheria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ispheria polycounter lvl 3
    First thing anyone should do before making a game is making a design doc. Even if you only vaguely outline what you're trying to do, it's important to define what you're trying to do with your game, what your art style is going to be, what assets need to be made, etc.