Home Technical Talk

octane free student version.

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
I am considering using octane for rendering my scenes.I wanted to ask if anyone has tried out the latest version and if there is much difference between the latest version and the student version which is the 1.2 version and its free.

The latest version is way cheaper than Vray (£199).But would one say octane is way faster and better than Vray?Another thing is octane uses gpu rendering and it is realtime.

Replies

• Nox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
    Vray is full-fledget production renderer with deep 3ds Max integration while Octane is mostly a toy. That's why a price difference.

Actually, Vray comes with GPU engine Vray RT which is somewhat similar to Octane.

If you use Maya/XSI you may consider Redshift (also a GPU render), it costs 500$ but it's a lot better (great DCC app integration and supports a lot more features) and faster than Octane (it can use biased GI approximation similar to Vray, so you can render interior scenes very fast).

Also, if you use Max you can try Corona which is also great render and it's free for now.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So Vray is the fastest? What about corona?Have u ever tried using Corona?
    I am using 3dsmax btw.
  • Nox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
    I did not say that :) Vray is CPU renderer while Octane is GPU based, comparing them speed-wise is not a good idea because of hardware difference. If you have powerful GPU like Titan or couple of them Octane will be faster. It also depends on scene, exterior scenes in Octane can be very fast even on mediocre GPU but than you try something like interior with tiny light sources and a lot of glass and it takes a lot of time to get rid of noise.

You should try Corona for sure, it's very easy to use. Corona combines path tracing with GI approximation for secondary bounces which gives you good speed and perfect quality. Max integration is also great. Some users are actually switching from Vray to Corona.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply,Nox.
    I just downloaded Corona for 3dsmax.Funny thing its free.I wonder if it can be used for animation.I am guessing because of the noise,it might be problematic?