Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Remington 870 shotgun

Last fall I finished up my first full weapon model, a M1911: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122490

Although I was happy with the final result I wasn't happy with my workflow to get there. A few weeks back I decided to do another weapon to see what I learned from the 1911 project. This Remington 870 model was definitely an improvement and a huge drop in my time invested too. Next up, low poly and texturing. Let me know if I overlooked anything!

j7ZHzZW.jpg

YyGPVk6.jpg

zXXU6Eu.jpg

iaHiuMr.jpg

Replies

• Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    I think the Handgrip Area@ the Stock of the HighPoly is not allright -> First Picture.
    If you want to bake this, it will be visible on the LowPoly too.
    Try to make this clean.
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    Not too shabby, but your magazine tube needs to be much larger in diameter. The tube fits entire shells inside it, rim included. The barrel only holds the hull in the chamber. The chamber is also a good bit fatter than the business end of the barrel. If you want any specific reference images, I might be able to snap some from my 870 :)
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the extra set of eyes everyone! I redid a good bit of the stock to better form the shape as seen in my ref around the hand grip and while I was at it I also added the strange "pinch" at the top of the stock above the hand grip:

M6bB9DM.jpg

I also gave the mag tube a good fattening (along with all of the associated parts) to more accurately depict its actual diameter as commander pointed out. Thanks for the ref offer but I actually modeled this thing after my own 870 which is a rather unique former Ohio Patrol Magnum version. :)

n1Lsmz0.jpg

ezpGcSt.jpg

(yes I had the pump-cap on backwards when I took these, doh)

vXxW8Hv.jpg

tClIUpI.jpg

I also made a few small tweaks to the bolt and other parts.

ON7U9Nz.jpg
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I knocked out the initial low poly but it's sitting at only 3,060 polygons and 5,315 triangles. I think some areas could use some smoothing before I move on to UVW mapping. What would be the best way to selectively round off areas like the trigger guard oval or the top of the receiver while maintaining the silhouette?

QuIbfrw.jpg

B5vikgG.jpg
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Why can you afford 16 sides on a cylinder but cant afford those on your trigger guard ?

A single side to make the curve from the main body to the stock ? Make those things properly round : P

ad.PNG

Also you got some huge pinching at the ejection in your highpoly and in your stock aswell

Oh and you grip seems a bunch smaller than the real one
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    You really need to fix that grip. It isn't shaped like the real one at all near the top where the ridges terminate. Also there is some pinching going on that will definitely show up in the low poly. Are you going to add the rough grip on the butt? That'd really put this over the top detail wise.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really appreciate you guys taking the time to help! I'm revisiting a few problem areas on my high-poly and reworking those super jaggy low poly shapes.

I've remodeled the receiver and the stock to avoid pinching and to better reflect the actual shotgun. Now I'm adding more detail to the low poly as well.

7227wZ9.jpg

MVmOCG0.jpg

4GcDOqf.jpg
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After rebuilding some areas of the low poly to add a bit more detail (now at 3,693 polys) I've wrapped up my final UVWs (no pun intended). The only shape that really gave me pause was the stock. I tried to hide the seams on the left side and under the stock. Is that the best solution?

O2HxLN5.jpg

GoptAFL.jpg

7EJIFKS.jpg
  • DeviatePanda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeviatePanda polycounter lvl 5
    Regarding seam placement, I would have the seam on the opposite side of the gun if this is going to be used as a first person model. You wouldn't want a big eye sore like that while you are blowing people, aliens, monsters, etc. away.
    Other than that, the model is looking pretty good. Can't wait to see it textured.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Is there a reason you're unwraping the highpoly? Typicaly you use UV channel 1 on the lowpoly for all your textures. *Typically* highpoly uvs aren't necessary, unless you want to apply textures to it for a render or something like that.

Generally you'll want UV seems out of sight from the players first person view. In my eyes that's typically the bottom of the weapon, slightly to the right. Not to be harsh, but there really isn't a worse place for the seam than what you have here. It's right on top of the stock, on the left side where it will be most visible to the player.

I can't see much reason you would need two UV shells for the bulk of that shape. you should be able to get away with stitching the top seam combining those two shells.

Here is the grip/stock for a shotgun I baked recently. It is sawed off, but the principle is the same.

TYi1jF4.png

8JXq2kt.png

(Notice the bulk of the stock is on a single shell)

Af86zqA.png

The seam is hidden as far away from the players eye as possible.

An added noted: pay careful attention to your texel density (the size of your UV shells, and how much texture space they occupy). Things further away from the camera, like your fore grip, should occupy less space than objects closer to the camera, like the stock, and receiver. Right now your trigger guard, fore grip, and a few other details appear to more texel density than that of the receiver or stock, which are much more visible.

In addition, things that face directly to the camera should have larger UV shells than areas that are at more of a grazing angle. This is due to texture filtering greatly decreasing the number of pixels that actually appear in screen space. Faces more perpendicular to the camera should be about 25% bigger. Faces directed away from the camera should be 25% smaller.

The the big idea here is you don't want to waste precious space on your texture map on an area that will never utilize those pixels, or that detail.

gluup2p.png

As Srike mentioned as well, you need to iron out your priorities when dealing with you're triangle budget. Again, areas close to the camera (the players face) should generally have more geometry to represent curves, details, etc. Details and shapes out towards the end of the weapon or underneath are less visible and should have less geometry.

There are no hard fast rules for these things, but they are very important. As a rule of thumb, look at the weapon from a first person view, and consider how it would read in game. It should become clear fairly quick where you're priorities should be :)

Keep up the hard work! update when you have bakes :thumbup:
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man, I totally thought I had my seam on the side away from the player camera until you guys pointed it out. Whoops. :)

Awesome breakdowns s6, I really appreciate it man. My "low poly" stock was really busy from a meshsmooth that I had left on to try and round a few things off. In the end it just made a mess of things for UVW as you can see. If I wanted to round things off more, what would be a better way of going about it?

After going back to my Meshsmooth-less stock things are going smoother but I'm still working on getting the two main halves of the UVW stitched together. The combination of the pistol grip with the extended stock makes for some awkward shapes and splits:

q00MtYn.jpg
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scratch that, with some hand stitching I think I'm getting close. There's still a little distortion but I'm going to take a break and come back to it in a bit. Thanks again guys!

hITc4PQ.jpg
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Have you tried using tools/relax in the UV editor window? typically that will make a more organic/relaxed shape, which maybe worse for uv efficiency, but will generally yield a less distorted result.

As for how to add geo to your lowpoly: Manually usually works best on isolated curves. Mesh smooth will add extra an unnecessary geometry to the entire model when you only needed it in one localized spot. Which costs you more time cleaning up in the long run than just cutting in new loops and smoothing out a curve by hand.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Relax definitely helped and I think I'm approaching a decent UV map. Rather than just post final images I'm going to post my progress as I continue.

WIP UV and normal. I'm getting some stretching on my stock (I think on the low poly) and the projection cage around the pump action is all screwed up and will need to be fixed.

AVq81cd.jpg

VpfbrHr.jpg

ktaFBwl.jpg

And here's 5 minutes of DDO material testing with the unfinished normal. I also realized the rim on my shotgun shell ended up waaaay to wide for some reason. Future texture plans: I will be adding the grip texture to the stock.

sirIEtA.jpg

iBC2rAC.jpg

lDXHymX.jpg
  • MDGM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    id wait on using ddo imo id texture using Photoshop or whatever first then play around with ddo
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Is your green channel (Y) flipped? If not, flip it and see if that resolves any of those issues. It's difficult to tell atm. Try a darker slightly less glossy material.

As MDGM said as well, I would focus on learning traditional texturing techniques before relying too heavily on Ddo. It's a great tool, and can compliment your workflow nicely, but fundamental knowledge of material and texture creation is a must.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That normal map looks weird. The last time this happened to me, was because I had a material applied to my hipolty with some opacity, and basically when I was baking the normal map it made it have that weird brightness color.
    maybe apply a default max material to the whole hipoly before baking the normal.
    Also, are you using text tools, smoothing groups by uv shells?
    It looks like ,it could be either that or as S6 pointed, the Y chanel is fliped.
    In the new marmoset there is an option on the mesh properties where you define where the normal map was baked. maybe look at that?
  • BobtheGreatII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    That normal map looks weird. The last time this happened to me, was because I had a material applied to my hipolty with some opacity, and basically when I was baking the normal map it made it have that weird brightness color.
    maybe apply a default max material to the whole hipoly before baking the normal.
    Also, are you using text tools, smoothing groups by uv shells?
    It looks like ,it could be either that or as S6 pointed, the Y chanel is fliped.
    In the new marmoset there is an option on the mesh properties where you define where the normal map was baked. maybe look at that?

This. This will fix so many of your issues right now.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys nailed it: my Y channel was backwards thanks to Max. I also had some old render materials applied during my baking process.

After spending a bit more time on some UVW tweaks and more time fixing cage errors I think I have a good bake. Next I'm working on adding the text normal details and the grip pattern. (Ignore the grip pattern in these shots because it's way off and not aligning with my UV map at all. )

As far as texturing goes I might do a quickie texture with DDO and then hand paint one as well just for the experience.

GqgXpMN.jpg

ZfyAq3k.jpg

syOlWPD.jpg

KKxHLO2.jpg
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    The new bake looks so much better it's not even fun.
    No but seriously dude, that looks really good :) Good job on doing it again and doing it right! That's a skill to be proud of in itself.

I see that you have some small errors at the end of the barrel. The best way I know (there's probably better ways out there, but this is the one that ive learned and that works nice for me!) is to make the low poly slightly longer than the high poly, so you can match up the cage perfectly with the low poly.
    The high and the low is not too important, the cage and the low, that's where it's got to meet up perfectly.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Much better man :thumbup:
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words! :)

While going back to my normal bake to fix a few more cage issues that I realized that trying to align the grip pattern on the normal map was going to be a nightmare with how I had flattened it (the right side of the stock was a completely different projection). So, I re-UV'd the stock for the 49th time and added a few details to the high poly to make the plastic base on the pistol grip part of the stock stand out more.

I drew up a pattern for the grip texture on the stock in Illustrator and converted it to a normal map with the nVidia normal map PS toolset. It took a bit of trial and error to get it all aligned with a preview of the map in max (the two sides of the stock still aren't 100% mirrored) but I'm pretty happy with the results.

So, hopefully, the next step will be actually texturing this sucker.

d0BIxnq.jpg

R4STY6k.jpg

N2J0OFa.jpg

lxEaCJt.jpg

MF3Q8ew.jpg

zF5Iuwc.jpg

r0eP9V3.jpg

bqlftXT.jpg
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Incoming image dump! I spent a ton of time digging into the new Quixel Suite beta and despite quite a few technical issues along the way I'm calling the texture complete. It's a mix of Quixel base texuring and wear and hand-painted detailing and wear:

(Final poly count: 3,040 - 5,717 triangles)

aOyxEw9.jpg

sQVlh9R.jpg

dOZs3ny.jpg

uTeIOvH.jpg

GSFSCBK.jpg

2dNXehf.jpg

0cluzE9.jpg

V3rX0kp.jpg

yDJYfQs.jpg