Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Machine Meditation / David A Clifton

Replies

• MachineMeditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MachineMeditation polycounter lvl 2
    I'm trying to build up a good tree-root base with good topology for real-time applications. I will be building up the entire tree with UV / Textures / HP Sculpt (normals) / etc.

TreeTrunkWIP_001.jpg
  • MachineMeditation
  • MachineMeditation
  • MachineMeditation
  • MachineMeditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been doing experiments with texture map generation. I have been using High-Pass altered versions of the original image which was a 16 shot Tone Mapped HDRI. I'm using the High-Pass version to generate the normal, AO, height, gloss, specular etc. I'm using the normal version of the image for the Albedo channel. The left is the pure generated version, the center is the High-Pass version and the far right is the combination. I will upload some more soon, it seems to be working. Right now I'm working with cross polarization of my light source and the capture device combined with a 16 shot HDRI processed with Exposure Equalization.

WoodExample_OL.jpg
  • MachineMeditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small Boulder
    ZBrush Dynamesh
    Maya ReTopology
    ZBrush Normal Generation from HP Sculpt
    Photoshop Texture Finish

BoulderSmallDavidAClifton.jpg
  • MachineMeditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a question about these render results. One of them was rendered in a PBR Renderer and the other one was a Maya Hardware Render. My question is, how can I tell if the rendering engine is the only reason that my materials look good? If I was going by the MHR I would say that my maps are just north of shit, but in the PBR I think they look pretty good. I realize that there isn't any 'base' render to go by, but how can I tell if my materials are any good or if the PBR Render is just really good at making shit materials look great? Both renders used the exact same custom maps.
    OLPresentationWoodenPlanks0101.jpg
  • MachineMeditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I just answered my own question, I'm understanding calibration profiles now. I just need to figure out which one works with Maya the best, any suggestions?
  • MachineMeditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I have an example here of a material that I created, barely planned anything at all, just took a couple of photos of some shit sitting on the floor. I used the polarization method where I used two polarization filters, one on the strobe and another on the lens while rotating the lens one 90 degrees. I love the result, it works really well to separate the channels of diffuse and specular, below is the example.
    Here is the strange part, other things I have made look really good in Marmoset, but this particular one comes in pure black (using the exact same maps calibrated for MT2).......
    I'm seriously confused by this shit.
    I will post any updates as they occur.
    Also, in MT2 where in Peter's Purple Planet is the Sky Tool button?

PDProject01.jpg
    PDProject02.jpg