Home Technical Talk

prob with AO in dDo

Hi,
I'm having a problem with dDo rendering an AO map that puts shadow along the texture borders of my model. Anyone know how to avoid this?
thx, jer

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More info is needed, afaik, dDo does not render ao maps, you render an AO map in your 3d software and import it into dDo. So you'll have to be more specific about your problem. Showing images would help too.
  • Karateman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply, Earthquake. I'm using Maya LT to model and bake normal maps, then export the model as an .obj to put into dDo. I've been watching dDo breakdown videos like this one: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BboBgjGARc"]Complete dDo Legacy Breakdown - The AK - YouTube[/ame], but I think I must be using a different version of dDo, because you'll see in the video that he has a window called the Automation Hub. In contrast, I get no Automation Hub when I open dDo, and haven't been able to find it.

Screen1.png, shows a pop-up info in dDo saying that if you do not load in your own AO file, dDo will generate one from the normal map. That's what I've been doing. At about minute 29 of the above video, the narrator points out an option in the Automation hub, "Hide UV seams" in relation to the AO map. But because I don't have an Automation Hub I can't use that option.

Screen2.png shows what I get when I hit Bake--prominent ugly seams. Screen3.png shows what happens when I adjust both AO sliders to zero--no seams, but also no AO.

I suppose I need to get around to learning how to bake a real AO, but it would be nice, for now, to just be able to get rid of the seams in dDo. No one else seems to be having this problem, so I'm wondering if I'm just missing something obvious.
    cheers,
    jer
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    The 'Hide UV Seams (Using AO)' shows up as an available option (underneath the Load Input Files section) only if you supply it with your own AO map.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah I see, yes, bake a proper AO map, the generated AO is probably fine for simple tiled textures with normal map input, but unique mapped assets you'll likely have issues with.

If you're baking normals in Maya, I would recommend baking AO in XNormal as Maya pretty much sucks for baking high to low AO.
  • Karateman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK. Thanks, both of you--I'll get to work with xNormal.
    cheers,
    jer