Home Technical Talk

how to match multiple object UV's for tiling texture consistancy??

Hi guys,

Currently I'm working on an assignment and I have to do some environment modelling. I was wondering what is the best way to get tileble textures to look consistent when using the same texture for multiple objects, i.e - using a brick texture and having all the bricks the same size for each object it's used for.

If you look at this castle from the black desert game, you will see that a brick texture is repeated over and over for many different assets. I want to know, what is the best way to have the size of the brick consistent? Do you simply just compare objects and alter UV's till the sizes are all the same? wOOCabo.jpgQTtfbZl.jpg
Dp3eFGF.jpg This is what I've tried, however I feel like there should be an easier method...
bAJUXTE.jpg
5FhgD62.jpg
I just aligned the UV's.

Is there a better method? Thanks!

Replies

• mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In this specific case you'd be better off box mapping to the same value with a much smaller texture with less bricks in it. That is to say you might box map it 5x5x5 and fix anything that doesn't look right (thin sides of walls, for example, might not be aligned the same as the front and back and may need further adjustment).

For example, if you decide the overall pixel density of your world is 512^2 per 5 meters^2, you'd be handling all your tiling in the entire scene with 5x5x5 meter box mapping, again, fixing where the quick mapping technique isn't clean enough.

What you're doing with that massive repeating texture is wasteful and more suited for if you were doing 100% unique UV's with a plan to later paint on that texture unique details per area, but even then, you'd be wiser to use alpha overlays or vertex blends depending on the additions being made. That texture is huge and should be much smaller and tiling over those pieces multiple times, rather than each piece be mapped in it. Have you been building it bigger and bigger upon itself to keep giving room for your uv shells? Instead, use box mapping and think ahead for your textures and in layers (overlays over tiled textures) instead of trying to fit it all on a unique sheet.

If you select every single face that is meant to share the same texture and box map them all at once, all matching of edges is handled automatically, and then anything you're unhappy with, again, can be tweaked after the fact manually.
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    I'mma plug Nightshade UV Editor. It has an awesome feature to set the texel density of your unwrap, so you can unwrap multiple objects at the same time and have them retain a consistent texel density.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    deluxe UV, nightshade uv editor, and a editor i will release in a month, all include tools for setting consistent texel density, this is a more simple approach than the box mapping, since it is for sure to work in all game engines without extra shader instructions.

Also everything in that scene, is using pretty set number of units, so while texturing and modeling, just keep in mind the relationship between the size a piece of geo, and how it will be mapped. Like do you want 2 pixels per unit?
  • bazz_boyy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys are the best thanks so much for helping :) I have a way better understanding now