Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment Artist Showreel 2014

A collection of some of the personal Environments & Assets I've developed for my portfolio.
Enjoy.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW VIDEO

Replies

• dschmidt3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dschmidt3d polycounter lvl 6
    Your camera was moving so fast I could barely see your work. And then it would abruptly cut short just as I caught up.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Um, if ur an env artist, ditch the reel. Just have a site with screenshots. I'm not even gonna bother watching...sorry.
  • verzun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes there's screenshots on my website. This is just a reel to show a collection of videos, assets.
  • MooseCommander
    The music is terrible, the camera moves in a way that makes me feel sick to my stomach, and we barely even get to see your work because there are so many jump cuts.

I agree with slosh. You don't need a reel, unless you want to show off particle effects or animated environments, like trees swaying or sci fi doors opening, etc.

This is like Portfolio 101 on what not to do. Which is actually really helpful! I don't mean to be an asshole, but I think everyone has given you clear feedback on how to improve your presentation. Trust me, the video hurts you and high res screenshots and breakdowns are your friend.
  • verzun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will definitely act upon this thanks for the crits guys. I understand it's kind of too quick. If you ever want to see the real deal of the videos goto my website
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    Haven't seen your site so I will assume you have a very thorough gallery.
    I keep my gallery clear of video but I like to create flythroughs for some of my projects, however those are on a separate page so as not to get in the way for whoever doesn't want to see them.

If you absolutely must have a reel:
    Your work looks really good, i think, the camera was too fast and the movement too rapid to actually tell. Also a lot of the camera movements where too similar to each other.
    Slow down your cameras by A LOT and simplify your movements. Just do simple pans, and dollys.

Ditch everything but the first 3 environments!
    Jerky viewport grabs and single prop turntables do not belong in the same video as your polished environments. Again, if you feel you need those, polish the sculpts and make a separate 'prop' reel.

Replace the music!!!!

Get rid of the text, you do not want your viewer distracted.
    You can have a 2-3 second breakdown slide at the end, that way it doesnt get in the way and if the viewer has questions they can pause, take their time and read it then.

Having said that, good work on the environments man, keep it up!
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    Well, I agree with what everyone said about the video. Noone wants to have to sit through a video. Unless it's absolutely necessary due to some sort of dynamic component, and short, it's a waste of time.

Also, I can't image how you think this is an effective home page: mJZrnQa.png

Seriously? A slideshow of pixelated artwork behind your artwork aint getting it done. I absolutely cringe when looking at this. Also, your home page is videos- why? Give me thumbnails of your environments and take me straight to shots and breakdowns. And for the love of god, put your images behind backgrounds that are flat to give the users eyes a chance to rest. I seriously got vertigo when that large background image came up. I don't think you want to be making perspective employers and recruiters sick by looking at your site.

Your site needs to be cleaned up and simplified.

Sorry if that came off a bit harsh, but I'm just trying to help.
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    I would agree with those above, what makes me worried is how you got to this point. With your camera work, presentation and work I get the impression you lack a fundamental understanding of composition. The majority of your work shows a high level of technical ability, but often is overwhelmed with detail in all the wrong areas. This worries me and reduces my confidence in your work dramatically. If your working in AAA expect your composition skills to be one of your most important assets, with only a small portion of your job focused on asset production.

EDIT: ConceptArt.org is down at the moment, but this link should work when its back up.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=232819
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd have to agree with the overall comments - you have talent, but the presentation is killing you.

Remember that the purpose of the portfolio is to showcase your art; the KISS principle - Keep It Simple, Silly - is fundamental. Lose the background slideshow; I'd also lose the slideshow in the gallery, and just have a traditional gallery of thumbnails.

Some of your images - such as the mask from your asset page - are extremely pixelated.
  • verzun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought I'd change it up having it for so many years but having had the critic I'm definately going back to the traditional thumbnail look.
    This is definately something I needed. Many thanks chaps. :)
  • verzun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Website altered. Video changed. Goto first post if you want to check it out. Thanks for the crits lads. Appreciate your time.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I think you have way too much stuff, which is not necessary the best thing to do.
    For exemple those 7 textures, People doesn't really need to see your map, they're nothing to see, maps are nice for character or stylized stuff, but looking at http://www.verzun.co.uk/images/rocktilenew01.jpg it's just " ok yeah he can take a picture and photoshop it" Cut the maps, put all your 7 textures in the same picture, they doesn't need to be that big. 7 smaller on same page will do way better
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Site looks a little better but you really need to axe those videos and just have your thumbs on the main page. Also, in your assets section, get rid of the pig head and the elephant...these are not doing you any favors.
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Verzun,

I agree with all the comments about cleaning up your presentation. Doing that will definitely help your site make huge strides!

As for your demo reel though, if you do want a reel I strongly suggest having a fly through of your environments. They looked really good and having a camera going through them would really show off your work. If you just want stills though, I recommend just having a slide show.

Great work, just poor presentation! Get that website cleaned up and keep creating!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    If you're going to keep the vids, then make them do something still images can't do. Like, rotate the angle around. Also a breakdown video, slowly adding in assets to the scenes; showing how you constructed them. There's no need for a video of slowly zooming in to still images.

Also, images take too long to load for me, PNGs and even JPGs.

I wouldn't make the About Me page as a homepage. Your homepage should show the very best of your still images. Ppl will find out who you are if they like your stuff.