Home Technical Talk

Are minimal visible UV Seams normal?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Gazu polycounter lvl 12
Hi Community!

Just a little question about UV Seams.
Is it normal that the UV Seams are minimal visible?
49pstgb4.gif
4sqzj9oo.gif

I tried booth, Auto Smooth and SG´s to UV Seams. I got almost the same result.
Or is a perfect bake without any visible Seams?
Im just doing some Testbakes for my AK47 that im working on.
3at34yug.jpg

Greetings
Gazu

Edit:
This is actually the LowPoly Geometry visible.
So i must change the question: Is it ok that the LowPoly Geometrie is visible a bit when the normal map is applied?
I see it only when im near enough. But anyway, i want it to be perfect ;)

Replies

• Autarkis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autarkis polycounter lvl 8
    Gazu wrote: »
    Is it ok that the LowPoly Geometrie is visible a bit when the normal map is applied?

A normal map only affects the lighting information on the mesh, so when you get close, the low poly contour will be visible. You might want to bevel those edges a bit and maybe add a little bit more geometry to get a smoother silhouette!
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks!
    I have added more Geometry and now it looks much better from first person perspective.
    The Tris Count for the Ak 47 is now at 14k. Still have to Clean it up.

Greetings,
    Gazu :)
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Just another thing.
    When i turn On Ambient Occlusion in Toolbag and take it to a strong level and to a low size, the LowPoly Geometrie becomes totally visible:
    zxz99ueg.gif
    SG´s to UV Shells, Auto Smooth and Manually doing SG´s. Same Result.
    Why?
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    First don't set your AO that high. Second triangulate your mesh before you go into marmoset.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    A standart Diffuse Map seams to solve the Problem.
    Im just testing so its not triangulated at the moment.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Hrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
    6nenql8d.gif

Slowly im getting angry about this smoothing groups....
    Same here:
    vxh37d94.jpg
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Its the secondary light. Turn it off, with setting it to just scene light. You can do this here:
    qlQbj1X.jpg
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    It could also be a gamma setting: and your normal map gets loaded with a different gamma (is darker in Slate), and you have to pick 1.0 when loading the bitmap (or turning gamma correction off I think).
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Hi Obscura!
    Thanks for your help, but that didnt work for me :(
    In max 2015 its under: Visual Style & Appearance.
    There i´ve setted it to 1 Light, and i tweaked the Quality and other point points.
    But that doesn´t solved the problem :(
    do78iik5.jpg

The normalmap is not applied. Its something wrong with the SGs.
    But i´ve tried SG´s from UV Shells and Auto Smooth. And when i delete the SG´s from the Straight Faces, the error disappears but then i get UV Seams in the Bake because of hard edges ;) .....
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Increased the UV just to see that there is no stretching too
    kvvb437n.jpg
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should change it to scene light from default light somehow. Also, on this new pic, the normals looks "broken". Have you tried using reset xform? If it doesn't work then add edit normals modifier, select all normals, press reset, and set up the smoothing gruops again.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, you should have these edges this way, so short horizontal quads instead of long vertical ones.
    bizS2wJ.jpg
    Long polygons aren't really friendly with the smoothing sometimes
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    ResetXForm doesn´t work. I have added the Edit Normals Modifier to my LP Mesh and selected all Blue Normals that they become red. Then i clicked on rest and collapsed the Modifier. Nothing changed. Then i applied the SG´s from UV Shells via TexTools, again, nothing changed :( hrrr...

Edit:
    I will give it a try, just a second.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That element has 1 uv shell, so 1 smoothing group too. In the edit normals, select all normals, press break, and then press unify. Yes its a really lowpoly geo but you shouldnt have a this ugly smoothing...
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see that its actually worse now, but I also see that there is still 2 lights for some reason. And the harsh diagonal black line must be because of this.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Obscura, that with Break and Unify helped out a bit.
    mtz8t6ja.jpg
    And i deactivated now the second Light.
    But looks not perfect. Dont know why..

mh...i´ll give it a test bake...
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Put a "control loop" to these places. Yes, they won't change the silhouette, but they will control the shading better. Without this, the current smoothing can give bad result in engines which doesn't have synced tangent basis.Also, if you have these control loops, you can put back the long vertical polygons because then they can't give bad shading, because the control loops are holding it.
    XMtRLNk.jpg
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Ok i will do so, but here are the TestBakes:
    2lwqytiy.jpgnvadxg26.jpg
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    And here with Support Edges :
    9yoareej.jpg
    (Mesh exportet once again, new smoothing groups from uv shells, new bake)
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now put back the long vertical edges too :D Because the short horizontal ones are causing some smoothing issues. So it would look like this:
    XMtRLNk.jpg
    Also, I would suggest to change the tangent basis in marmoset to "default" if there is an option for this (and not just for max and others) because this would show you how your normalmapped model would look in a "simple" engine which doesnt have the synced tangent basis. Then its important to have relatively good smoothing wihtout normalmap too. In this case ith your model, it has one smoothing group, and this can cause harsh gradients, if the mesh doesn't have enough geo. This is why the support loops are needed sometimes. But if you work with an engine which has synced tangent basis, then you can have any kind of ugly lowpoly smoothing, it will looks good.This is my experience. I had enough problem with bad smoothings earlier in UDK, and I mostly solved them with adding enough geo in the most of cases. There is Handplane which can help in the case of UDK and a few other engines, but its probably doesn't support your target engine.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Back with long Edges and 2 Support Edges:
    39ihjmry.gif
    Breaking the Normals with the Edit Normals Modifier looks fine, but when i click on unify or "Set SG´s from UV Shells" in TexTools, the Errors come back.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have the support edges way too far from the supported areas. select the lower loop, and move it down, and look how it changes the shading. Also, because this piece needs only 1 smoothing group, you can add it without the textools, with adding a simple smooth modifier, and setting it to autosmooth, and to a big value.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Thx :)
    You mean the Threshold with Value?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Gazu
    Options