Home General Discussion

Job "On Hold" Status

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
wteng polycounter lvl 4
Hi guys, I really need help now regarding job application. Few months ago I did apply to a studio for a 3D artist position and lucky enough to proceed for an art test phase.

Few weeks without any responds I started to move on but not until they contact me back asking whether I'm still interested with the position or not and obviously I replied yes. But then after that when I ask them about my status is just "on hold".

So what I want to ask you guys is how should I look into this situation? Should I follow up with them asking about my status application again after they said on hold? cus they didn't clearly stated that I'm out of the list. If so need to follow up with them, how often is it? cus i don't want to make them feel annoyed by my question. Also how is the polite way to follow up a job application email after got an "on hold" status? English is not my primary language so I'm afraid saying something wrong :\

I really appreciate if anyone can respond to this as I'm kinda blank right now. And sorry for the lengthy post. Thanks~

Anyway, so as you guys know currently I'm looking for a job opportunity, I always welcome anyone to come and visit my portfolio, hope can attract some opportunities to come :)

Replies

• Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    I dont want to get you into any wrong direction.
    But my experience ever was -

"if HR/company or the process takes too long (whatever the reason might be)
    - they dont want you"

sounds hard - but when they badly want you, then everything goes fast
    and smoothly - if not, dont "hold on" them - get more applications out!

At the end its just business - ask them what they mean on hold ? There is nothing to be to in a like bad situation, when you searching for a job and they think the have month(s) to decide.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Check back every two weeks.

It sounds like they want you, but something's up with them internally. (Maybe they thought they had more money than they did, they're waiting to see if another artist wants the job etc.) If they didn't want you, they'd just say so. Either way, I'd keep applying to other studios because you really don't know anything until you're actually hired.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Basically I follow the rule of "if I don't have an offer sheet signed" I don't have a job. Ping them again and keep applying to other jobs.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Until they make you an offer, you need to act as though you're unemployed. Which you are. You don't owe them anything. Keep looking and applying with the same intensity you always have been. If someone else hires you first, well, they should have moved quicker.
  • Elynole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll reverberate what others have said here, in that you need to continue to act as though you're unemployed - I actually prefer to market myself just like a business would - hearing new opportunities and weighing the options all the time, never letting my resume get too outdated, etc.

I will disagree with Alphavader though - just because the process is taking a long time doesn't mean they don't want you. There are numerous internal problems that could arise, where the position is still looking to get filled but some portion of the process is being delayed. Whether that be due budgeting issues, hiring freezes, reorganization of personnel, etc etc. Having both been apart of the hiring process, and getting hired, there have been numerous times where mine or someone else's hands were tied for a period of time, blocking the hiring process.

I would follow up the on-hold email, by thanking them for letting you know the status of the current position as well as asking if there were any additional details on the hold that they could provide or an ETA on when they expect the hold to be up.

If you're in a position to do so, you may also want to mail them a thank you card, this is something that they'll remember and more importantly remember you.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Elynole wrote: »
    I will disagree with Alphavader though - just because the process is taking a long time doesn't mean they don't want you. There are numerous internal problems that could arise,

Definitely a possibility. Last company I applied to for on-site staff position before going exclusively freelance took forever to call me back. I passed the interview phase (an ex co-workert who was working there told me I should've gotten a callback).

Long story short, there was a change of management. Company got sold. Lots of senior level guys including the 3 who interviewed me were either laid off or left cuz they won't accept salary cutbacks (I'm guessing.).

So, keep on applying. You can always quit your less-than-ideal new job if say a major studio like Blizzard or Naughty Dog gives you an offer you can't refuse.
  • wteng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wteng polycounter lvl 4
    Hi,thanks to the opinion. No matter what, I will keep on be positive and work hard to achieves.

Besides, Can I ask what you guys opinion regard my online portfolio? I am very welcome any suggestion that can fix my online portfolio better. Basiclly I am aiming to become an 3D enviroment artist.:)