Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1858 Colt Third Model Dragoon Percussion Revolver

_tzeshi
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
_tzeshi polycounter lvl 2
This is my first post at Polycount. I want to get some feedback on a model I am making for school. I am studying with AIE in Australia, and this is my first year.

I am not too familiar with forums, so please excuse if put something wrong up or make any mistakes. I am learning!

Thanks!

Here is the low poly:

yxn0Ofj.png
eVI5L63.png

And the high poly:

OcdyQou.png
2ASMLBc.png

Please provide feedback if you want to.
My model is far from perfect, but I have looked at it too long, I need some fresh eyes to help me out :) What do I need to adjust or add?

I value the experience of many of you on Polycount to give me some tips and pointers.

Replies

• TonyNowak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you think you could post a reference shot or what your working with here too? The lowpoly geo looks pretty good.
  • _tzeshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DarkStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see, a clint eastwood western movie's fan!

Good job.
  • _tzeshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarkStar wrote: »
    I see, a clint eastwood western movie's fan!

Good job.

You know, and this is shameful, but I think I have only seen one or two Eastwood films. Shocking, I realise this now.. haha
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some of the normals in the low poly version are quite odd; it seems that some of the polygons might have degenerated to single points. It's most apparent on the frame and near the bottom of the cylinder.

You might want to get some additional reference images, especially from the top or front. The barrel wedge - the rectangular bit forward of the cylinder - sticks out a bit more on one side.
    20115_d4.jpeg

This will give you a good idea of the individual parts:
    ColtDragoon2.JPG.w560h244.jpg
  • _tzeshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker wrote: »
    Some of the normals in the low poly version are quite odd; it seems that some of the polygons might have degenerated to single points. It's most apparent on the frame and near the bottom of the cylinder.

You might want to get some additional reference images, especially from the top or front. The barrel wedge - the rectangular bit forward of the cylinder - sticks out a bit more on one side.

Thanks for your feedback DWalker. I actually haven't baked this to normals yet. The top images are just screenshots from 3dsmax. I am trying to get crits before I start baking things out. I know its horrible, its just all on 1 shading group, thats why it looks derpy.

I see what your saying about the barrel wedge. Its funny, I actually modeled that on the high poly, but I haven't brought it out on one side, Thanks for the pick up on that! I wouldn't have noticed that otherwise...
  • Shrike
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    The highpoly looks good for most part, but you need to work on the lowpoly
    Start by adding more polys and make everything more round and improve the silhouette, (12 sided cylinder is not going to look good) and then add smoothing groups so you can see where errors are with the normals