Home General Discussion

Portfolio help

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Spiffy polycounter lvl 12
Ive spent the last couple of weeks working on a HTML file and I've finally gotten to the point where I want to throw it online.

I have no idea how to go about doing this

I used to have MattG3d.com which would just redirect to a blog space.
But cancelled it this morning because Go-Daddys prices for actually hosting a website were a little unreasonable.

Here's my questions
Can I retrieve MattG3d.com under a different host?. (atm Go daddy parked it)

If not that's fine, I can find another name:
MatthewGiblin.com
MatthewGiblin3D.com
MatthewG3D.com
GMatt3D.com
Any thoughts?

I'm thinking about going with http://zuver.net.au/

Their prices aren't bad but I'm not sure what the whole process is on actually getting the website up.

Replies

• Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Why not MattGiblin.com?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If you paid for it, you should be able to transfer the domain.

I can't find any reviews for zuver.

I use hole in the wall hosting, it's cheap, easy to work with, has great uptime and customer support. $10 for a year of hosting if you want to use my referral, it's $20 otherwise http://www.holeinthewallhosting.com/referral.php?l=90809912014290738256800505

I compiled some data about hosts polycounters use
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1919745&postcount=2
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    I just got my portfolio online; and I used bluehost. If you start the registration but cancel before completing the payment they'll email you with a slightly ($1 cheaper) price. So 3.95/month if for 36 months.

After you pay, you set up your details and then transfer your website files to your server via FTP. It is pretty simple. Bluehost have guides and stuff on their site too.
  • Spiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright thanks for the advice so far.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the domain?
    I've cut it down to 3

MattG3D.com
    MattGiblin.com
    MatthewGiblin.com

I like MattG3D.com because it's short and easy to remember but I feel like MattGiblin.com is more professional.
  • Spiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    never mind, I went with MattGiblin

Thanks for the help again.

I managed to get everything set up under Bluehost, It was kinda expensive but I can cancel and get my money back if I want to switch over to Zuver in the next couple of days.

Here's my portfolio so far:

http://mattgiblin.com/

Still doing some tweaking.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Spiffy wrote: »
    never mind, I went with MattGiblin

Thanks for the help again.

I managed to get everything set up under Bluehost, It was kinda expensive but I can cancel and get my money back if I want to switch over to Zuver in the next couple of days.

Here's my portfolio so far:

http://mattgiblin.com/

Still doing some tweaking.

Why arent you using Holeinthewallhosting.com ?

$19 a year. A YEAR... I know people who pay £20 ($38') a month until they actually listened. It's also offers some of the most comprehensive server side functionality via Cpanel, that I haven't seen since the studio i worked at paid £280 a month.
  • Spiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I completely missed ZacD's post on Holeinthewall

I'm transferring today.
  • Spiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm new to this so could someone correct me

Holeinthewallhosting.com just hosts the webspace for a website but you need to buy a domain from another company such as GoDaddy and redirect it to Holeinthewall?

Ive signed up for Holeinthewall but Mattgiblin.com is still down and my Cpanel is saying I don't have any domains and I must provide one from my domain registrar.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I forgot what it is called exactly, DNS, I think, but you should be able to use that new domain name with any host. Look it up.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    You have to change your nameservers, basically point that domain to the servers with your content on.

Where did you buy your domain from? If godaddy then you want the "domain with us, hosting elsewhere" GoDaddy - Guide on pointing nameservers

These are your two name servers you need to change to.

ns1.holeinthewallhosting.org

ns2.holeinthewallhosting.org

After that within 48 hours you should have your domain updated to point to the server and everything on it. Updating the content on the server does not take 48 hours to take effect.

Make sure you have a the domain listed on the server as well :)

If you need a hand, PM me and i can guide you through it.
  • Spiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well originally Bluehost but I've cancelled it and now I don't own it at the moment

I was with GoDaddy for a while before Bluehost without hosting but I don't know if there's something better.
    Any recommendations before someone steals it and tries to bribe me?
  • Spiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nevermind, I went with GoDaddy, their prices were pretty good and I already have an account with them

As for the nameserver business, I should be right but I'll let you know Lazerus

Thanks for the help.