Home General Discussion

O1 Visa

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
Hey guys,

I was hoping this would be a happy "i`m hired" topic i`d create on here one day but it turns out theres the US visa holding me back.

So i was wondering if anyone had any experience with the O1 visa for the US .
I`d be eligible for a H1 visa but since they`re all gone for the year a O1 is my last chance.

From what i can see is i need to gather as much evidence of my "expertise".
So that`s what i`m doing atm but i don`t think i`m going to have enough to proof i should get it.

Now i`m just trying to find out if some of you went through the same thing and maybe have so tips?

Replies

• gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was hoping this would be a happy "i`m hired" topic i`d create on here one day but it turns out theres the US visa holding me back.

that is not true. you don't get a visa then find a job. you get a job then you get a visa sponsored by the company. that is 99% of the visas. it is next to impossible to get a "work" visa on your own with no company working on your behalf in that country to get the visa. work visas in the US and EU work the same. you get a job then the HR department arranges all of the visa issues for you. you need to get a job and the studio will do all of the visa work for you. any studio that does not work that way I would avoid. and I would never suggest trying to get a visa and moving cross borders with no job lined up!
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well thats whats happening right now, but they asked me to supply as much evidence as i can so it would make getting the O1 possible.
    Thats why i`m asking if there`s anyone who had to do the same and maybe has some more tips and advice.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ravenslayer

ah I see, thought you were trying to get a visa on your own. if you have some work experience that is the best "proof". if you don't to be honest it is really tough. if it does not work try to do freelance for them to fill out your resume.
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This might be just proof of related education and professional work experience.
    But this is based on my visa experience for Canada ...
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    I really hope that this is for arenanet.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    O1 visa is very hard to get.
    To qualify for an O-1 visa, the beneficiary must demonstrate extraordinary ability by sustained national or international acclaim and must be coming temporarily to the United States to continue work in the area of extraordinary ability.

So I guess besides holding senior positions on well known games, acclaim might be magazine publications, and the various comps like Dominance War, Escape etc... Maybe speaking at GDC and stuff would also qualify, basically it is hard as fuck to get this Visa.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shame that just a big studio interested in hiring you isn`t enough :(

@m4dcow: yeah thats what became clear after reading up on it and it made me realize that i probably won`t be getting it .

radiancef0rge: nope
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    I'm under an H1B (easier to get) but I know a few people under O1 and it looks like to get this kind of visa, you need to be very active and "rewarded" by, for instance, getting published, win contests, get interviewed, etc.

Good luck, man!
  • radiancef0rge
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    H1B, having a bachelors degree is sufficient (or 12 years in your field, as if the two are vaguely equivalent..).

Edit: Let's ignore that previous shit, here's some sound advice:
    http://www.artistsfromabroad.org/immigration-procedures/completing-the-forms/o-1b-petitions-individual-artists-of-extraordinary-ability/proving-extraordinary-ability/

Nevertheless, O1B is remarkeably difficult to obtain.
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    I was able to get the O1 Visa and it basically came from a few things I had done unknowingly and somehow ticked all of the boxes.

You have to be pretty pro-active and industry experience doesn't count very much towards it at all, surprisingly. Age doesn't matter either. Like other areas, the O1 means you have made an impact, or done a lot to improve the industry.

In order to qualify for an O-1 visa, an individual must show evidence documenting significant career achievement and industry renown. The types of evidence that can be presented are industry awards, nominations of awards, articles about the person in industry or trade journals, demonstration that the person has played a major role in games that have had significant commercial or critical success, testimonials from prominent members from the games industry, or evidence that the person has spoken at industry conferences such as GDC, E3 or published papers.

Now these things aren't easy to just rack up. It takes a lot of time to tick those boxes.

Hope that helps.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys,

Renauld: Yeah that would have been the way to go if they weren`t all gone for this year.

imyj: i only have a few things on that list but i`m afraid it won`t be enough

ambershee: It`s those lists that take away my last bits of hope to getting it, unless the company i`m applying at can do some magic i`m going to have to wait a year :(
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    i suppose stuff like writing a tutorial which becomes referenced and linked a lot does help? like ones by philip k, racer, poop, millenia etc.

what about becoming recognized as an author of high quality game asset packs?
    having a product that sells well (or pretending that it sells well) seems like some sort of achievement to me.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Dude, I can only hope things go well for you. I wasnt able to secure an O-1 Visa last year to return to the States - not famous, published, industry impactful enough I guess. The big ticket items are winning competitions, being published in well known books and being a speaker at places like GDC etc. Everything else is neither here nor there - at least it was for me.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comments

Haz: if you`re not able to secure it i don`t think i will either since i probably have less checks on the checklist. Was there a company working on your behalf or were you applying for it yourself?
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, yeah it was a big company.

I wouldn't give up your hopes man, I've had some pretty wtf style things with visas over the last few years. It doesnt seem like a good of a system as it is supposed to be in terms of rules and regulations.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    the advice i got is to obtain recommendations from people who matter (tm). studio owners, execs in well known (and presumably US-based) companies, IGDA/GDC-folk, that kind of thing.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Been there so many times, man. :( It's a shame, you do some great work, buddy.

Apart from what has already been mentioned. You could talk to some educational companies/sites - Eat3D, 3dMotive, DigitalTutors, ZBrushWorkshops etc... and do an hour or two tutorial on, say, doing cartoony characters. Bundle it with your disney timelapses, maybe only narrated, and you have yourself a small DVD. That would help.

It definitely won't be immediate, so maybe it's worth waiting until H1B quota renews.
    But I say screw that, doing more stuff is good for everyone and if you can spare yourself the trouble with the visas in the process it's a nice bonus. :D
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I am pretty sure that the company that has offered you a job plays a big part on this. They have to show prove through documents that you can do the job, and no one else around can. Have you tried to read on other forums about this? It might be also worth asking a lawyer. I know a lot of immigration lawyers can give you a good outlook of the situation, and if you can afford one even better. 1p did pay for my immigration status to be updated, and as of today i am a resident. Withtout the lawyer, it would have been more troublesome than what it was. Specially because visas they don't tell you everything.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's true. The company shouldn't be asking you to handle everything ... THEY are one of the biggest reasons the visa will happen or not.

I also second an immigration lawyer if you can get one. Both times I dealt with one she was fantastic and made everything smooth and seamless.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep... the lawyer made everything easy. Any transcripts they need, they know about it. It's not always only the documents they need on the application. They need extra prove, and they have a better idea of what is needed. I was lucky that 1p payed for my whole process, its maybe something that you can talk to your potential employer about. I know Naughty Dog sponsors Visas to people as well, and they take care of all the lawyer and fees and stuff.

Just read as much as you can... and the lawyer is in my opinion your safest bet.

Let us know how this develops.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the comments guys,

I just send all the things i could dig up to the recruiter, i`ll let you know how this turned out.
    If i have to wait untill next year for the H1 it won`t be the end of the world, more time to become better and finish some personal stuff properly.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Hazardous wrote: »
    Hey man, yeah it was a big company.

I wouldn't give up your hopes man, I've had some pretty wtf style things with visas over the last few years. It doesnt seem like a good of a system as it is supposed to be in terms of rules and regulations.

True that Haz, I'm a H1b holder here and passed through a J-1, I actually got pretty lucky since I didn't have to update, I just transfered many times already. But I'm at the end of my H1-b real soon. Can you tell me why did they deny your O-1 Haz. Do you guys know if the O-1 has an specific amount of time as well?
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo wrote: »
    True that Haz, I'm a H1b holder here and passed through a J-1, I actually got pretty lucky since I didn't have to update, I just transfered many times already. But I'm at the end of my H1-b real soon. Can you tell me why did they deny your O-1 Haz. Do you guys know if the O-1 has an specific amount of time as well?

I got to the US on a J-1 Visa too originally :)

The O-1 denial was essentially because my list of 'stuff I've done' was not satisfactory for the requirements. Not enough competitions won, published articles, speaker at GDC kind of things.

Large company submitted two times for the H1b prior the O-1 - rejected three times haha! Oh if only I had bummed my way through school and got that degree, I'd be in the US right now :D
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    oh damn.... so you actually didn't get H1B after the J1? I got it... and I didn't finish the degree too!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah man, I've heard similar stories as well. I've also heard things like O-1's being secured by people with no experience in games at all. The more I hear, when combined with my own woes leaves me with so little faith in it being a good system at all.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really don`t get the entire system, if a company with a good reputation wants to hire you they surely will have their reason. Why can`t that be enough proof to get a visa :(
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    abuse and salary dumping. It's a huge issue in the IT industry where H1B visa regulations are discussed quite often when companies just hire cheaper labour from outside the US rather than hiring Americans.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The entire system for immigration is because there is a lot of fraud when it comes to entering the country illegally. I don't agree with it, but that is the train of thought behind it.
  • weedude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys, sorry for reviving an old topic but I thought it would be nice to share how I successfully got an O1b visa, the process took me 5 months. I must apologize in advance for my English writing, I'm Brazilian. So...

After browsing careers pages of my favorite game companies sites, I received a nice full-time job offer with relocation support. Relocation support is actually mandatory for qualifying for the O1b visa. Also is almost mandatory that the company interested in your work makes a on-site interview with you at the company with all expenses paid (flight, hotel, meals, etc.) The stamp of this visit on your passport is an official proof that you are important for the job and the petition letter for O visa will have this mentioned.

1 . Try to find how you can be better qualified for the O visa. In my case after the interview me and the studio lawyer started to create a case for myself since I don't have any kind of degrees (I am completely self-taught since child) and I don't have previous experience working in game companies (I come from advertising/design business), so it was hard to find something that could qualify myself for the mighty "O" visa and for a game company, so we realize that instead of making a case based on fame or press or public recognition and stuff like that, we decided to make everything based on the quality of the works and testimonials about that, so...

2 . I got some Recommendation and support letters from companies I worked for full-time and freelance, also got some nice letters from other artists friends of mine, got letters from associations like IGDA and IDG (if you become a member you will have a lot of support and they will really help you with this).

All letters were focused on telling how good my art is and the differential they brought to a job or the business, it's kind of a lot of bull**it making you look like a god, but those letters coming from respectful people there were willing to sign their names on letters about your art, really raised up the bar at immigration officers eyes.

I know some letters are hard to get, by try your best to find people from previous companies you worked, specially from magazines or books you participated. But don't be lazy or afraid of this. Took me 4 months to get all letters, a lot of visits, chats, drinks and I even cooked some dinner for a friend of mine... but I got the the letters I needed. Actually just 3 of the 9 I tried.

Don't fake the letters and don't use false information and wrong dates.

3 . Read EVERYTHING on USCIS website about O visa, and make sure the company HR or Lawyer will get the I-907 form correctly filled. 1 minor error or contradictory information can ruin it all. Also make sure the company hiring you will pay for the extra tax to speed up the visa process in the USCIS, in my case it costs U$1.225 that the company paid, and believe me this extra payment makes all the difference, so let the company know you are aware of this.

4 . Make sure you have at least 1 individual/company/friend that can make you a letter of recommendation with real contact information and make sure this person is willing to testify by e-mail or phone call about the letter for a immigration officer. The immigration never called my contact of trust directly, but we know they verified this person by checking if the company she worked with me was a real registered business in Brazil. So this real contact was enough to make the case work. and she is not famous and not even the company is... it was just a nice recommendation coming from a real person with a real business.

Well that's it, I'm moving to North Carolina next month to work in a really nice game company, feels almost like a dream to me, and it will be my first time living alone and my first time working in a game company. So I wish those info can be helpful to someone in here somehow and maybe this individual can have this kind of experience and feeling as well.

Cya guys!