Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Band of Brothers, explorative portfolio piece - wip

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
millyparkes polycounter lvl 7
Hey Polycount :) This is a new piece I'm working on at the moment, inspired by Band of Brothers. Feel free to just look at the pictures (and post comments)

Project intentions; I know there are a lot of military characters in a lot of portfolios and it's not particularly original or inspired to do a military bust. However, I really enjoyed the series and this project aims to work on my current weakness and explore things I'm still learning about.

It's been about a year since I left uni and in that time I've had limited access to a desk and even less access to the internet, so there's a gaping hole in my portfolio and in my knowledge of recent developments. (In the past year I have done some pieces just for fun and massively improved my knowledge of anatomy - so it wasn't a complete waste of time.)

Based on looking at my previous work and the weak areas, this project aims to look at rendering realistic materials (leather that looks like leather), give me more experience sculpting faces and improve my understanding of BPR and SSS.

I also want to use this to look into tessellation and the creation of complex or detailed assets.

The character I'm working on is one of the protagonists, Lt. Richard D. Winters, as there's obviously loads of good quality ref of Damian Lewis.

It's still early days but here's a preview of the sculpt in progress.

1_br_by_millyparkes-d7htrjg.jpg

Replies

• Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For starters, I recommend you to study facial and overall anatomy more. Some books about that wouldn't hurt. For a general anatomy, you won't find a better course than Scott Eaton's "Anatomy for Artists". It is incredible. Maybe take a look at some 3d scans, they are incredibly helpful in learning forms and how things actually look in 3d. They can be expensive, but well worth every penny.

To learn how to do complex and cool hard surface shapes, visit Polycount's The Weekly Hard Surface Challenge. You will improve in no time.

If you want realistic textures/materials, you can take a look at new and fancy PBR texturing/rendering for next-gen. You can find about it using search on this forum, I'm afraid I don't have any links for you.
  • millyparkes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, thanks Ahoburg, I'm working on all those things.

Some tessellation tests in Marmoset. The normal and height maps came out well after some alteration to the cage and making sure the open sections were capped. I made the cage in Max and exported to Xnormals for the best results. The first test renders showed some erroring in the tessellation where I needed more padding on the height map.

Height and Normal map with plain coloured diffuse.

tesselation2014-05-10at050602_zps86017632.jpg
    Errors due to lack of padding.

tesselation22014-05-10at050548_zps11aee6fc.jpg
    Padding increased (Still needs adjustment).

Here's the same thing again but with an opacity map to remove the helmet. I could include the tessellation information in the same maps and model as the helmet itself to reduce draw calls. Having the rope and helmet as two separate elements is useful where the helmet has asymmetry, the rope appears to be loose around the helmet or the details are used like kit pieces to make a range of different helmets.

withopacity2014-05-10at052703_zps9b3e5429.jpg

Without Tessellation, Normal map alone gives very flat and unsatisfactory results.

justnormal2014-05-10at052800_zps19377340.jpg
  • millyparkes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on the face detail while I experiment with the best method for the helmet.
    8JD0d.jpg
  • millyparkes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Lovely!

Tesellation looks really cool!
    The face looks relly nice aswell. No crits so far :)
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Those ropes are pleasing to me.
  • millyparkes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks both :)

I shifted my concentration to the helmet, worked on creating his Major badge for the front of the helmet with a combination of shadowbox, polish and alpha from texture.

Emblem_zps15201e63.jpg

Also experimenting with textures & polypaint for the two layers of the helmet.

helmet_zpsde124c37.jpg

The upper layer needs some more attention and markings before I call the helmet complete.
  • Crowdsmurf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crowdsmurf polycounter lvl 10
    Looks really good! Pretty curious how you made those ropes over his helmet. Is that with the twist function in zbrush and then adding some knots?
  • millyparkes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Crowdsmurf, Yep :) I started with a cylinder with an even number of sides, masked every other face and deflated, then used the twist function. To make the knots and trace it over the helmet I made a 3 part insert-mesh brush that works in the same way as the preset zipper. (I just used the rope with soft masks to bend it into a knot with transpose tools.)
  • Crowdsmurf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crowdsmurf polycounter lvl 10
    cool, thanks for sharing :). Looking forward to the final result!
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Not sure if I'm a fan of the blue on the helmet. Weren't they usually green? I aplogise, not entirely up to par with Band of Brothers, though I did watch the first episode a few weeks back.

Have you thought of adding some scratches/detail to the helmet, then polypainting over them while using a cavity mask? I do this constantly with my hardsurface stuff, and it yields really interesting results.
  • millyparkes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls - I was thinking the same. The final helmet will be green and the badge will be silver, the poly-painting is fairly experimental at this stage. I have a lot more to do with the outer layer, mostly scratches and cavity detail like you suggest :)
  • millyparkes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on the helmet a bit more, I'm trying to be careful not to add too much damage as the reference pictures usually show museum pieces with a few more years of post-war rust. As far as I know the troops would have taken pretty good care of their equipment.

3_zpsf107c0fe.jpg
  • DirtyBrit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sweet stuff- keep up the good work!