Home General Discussion

Substance Contest - Battle of the Titans - over $45 000 in prizes

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Jerc interpolator
Kuj2WYw.png

We are thrilled to announce our first big Substance Contest! The goal is to have fun, create amazing art and of course win awesome stuff!

An all-inclusive week for 2 in Paris or LA, next-gen consoles, Maya and Modo licenses, NVidia Titans, a lifetime of Substance software and much more are at stake.
($45,000 worth of prizes to win)!

The contest is open to all until July 18th and a team of talented artists from top AAA studios including some well known polycounters will judge the submissions and choose the winners on July 21st.

Click on the image above to read all the details!

If you guys have any questions regarding the contest, feel free to use this thread.

Replies

• RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    "poilycounters" You may want to correct this

Anyway looks awesome! Sadly I cannot even attempt to enter because of exams in the way plus I was probally not going to win anyway XD
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    YOU'RE A POILYCOUNTER.

Sadly, I don't model so I'm out of the running already. Best of luck to all involved!
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Hahah thanks guys for the heads up, fixed :)
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Sounds like an awesome contest. I doubt I'll have time to try to make something, but I really can't wait to see what other people come up with!

EDIT: Just looked at the specs of the titan, this will REALLY be a badass contest!
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Huh... awesome stuff.
    The free copy of Maya/Modo is weird though. I imagine anyone who wins this would already have their top-end 3D program of choice, most likely already including one of those two.
    I mean, are you expecting most applicants to be grudgingly running Blender?
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    Huh... awesome stuff.
    The free copy of Maya/Modo is weird though. I imagine anyone who wins this would already have their top-end 3D program of choice, most likely already including one of those two.

As someone using softimage xsi 6.2 from years ago, I'm gladly take the upgrade.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I think a GTX Titan Z would be a more appropriate prize than a Maya license. You know, since Titans.

(Not entirely serious; I think the prizes are fine.)
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Sounds like a really cool competition! If i can make time to enter, i am so in there... even if i dont already have my top end 3d program of choice! :x
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Seriously tho...talk to Nvidia...they would probably donate a Titan, and it'd be a hillariously appropriate prize.

I am excite!
  • Anthony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony polycounter lvl 2
    Hmm...last time i tried making something for a contest, i didn't finish the model in time, and missed the deadline (the model wasn't finished in time)

And considering my modeling experience with Zbrush isn't that great, nor is my experience with Substance designer, i doubt i'd get something ready by the time the deadline ends, though the only thing that would interest me is the copy of Maya, as the only other software i have is an ancient student copy of max 8.

Still, good luck to everyone else who gives this a shot.
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    Oooohhhhh this has got me super motivated!!
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    This is fantastic! Color me interested!
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Was stoked until I realized it's only a character challenge, oh well maybe next time.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    Ooh, I've got a question! The rules say both that you need to have valid license and that you can use trial versions. Can you clarify that?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Well we added a Titan as an alternative to Modo/Maya licenses :)
    iconoplast wrote: »
    Ooh, I've got a question! The rules say both that you need to have valid license and that you can use trial versions. Can you clarify that?
    A trial version is considered a valid license. BTW the trials will be expanded for the duration of the contest.
  • Dashiva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dashiva triangle
    Huh... awesome stuff.

Some of us don't grudgingly run it...

And yes, I will be entering. Though I wish Allegorithmic could figure out how to get Substance integration in Blender. Seems like a waste when I can't use my favorite modeling app with my favorite texturing app. Hopefully we can get a few people who use Blender to apply to this contest.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dashiva wrote: »
    Some of us don't grudgingly run it...
    You do if you're trying to win a replacement for it. Anyone satisfied with it wouldn't need a replacement program.

Wait, how are the prizes distributed?
    Would it be possible, if you won and didn't need the 3D software, to take the copy of Maya and sell it rather than activate it?
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really guys complaining about free copy's of really expensive software?

This sounds awesome, good move giving plenty of time for people to enter too :)

@Jerc would it be frowned upon if I say for example followed a concept from Titanfall? Quite a lot of good stuff in their art book that came out. Any restrictions on how original it has to be or anything?
  • Dashiva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dashiva triangle
    You do if you're trying to win a replacement for it. Anyone satisfied with it wouldn't need a replacement program.

Wait, how are the prizes distributed?
    Would it be possible, if you won and didn't need the 3D software, to take the copy of Maya and sell it rather than activate it?

Eh, I'm trying to win a graphics card. Though a Modo license might be nice, at least they innovate.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really guys complaining about free copy's of really expensive software?

This sounds awesome, good move giving plenty of time for people to enter too :)

@Jerc would it be frowned upon if I say for example followed a concept from Titanfall? Quite a lot of good stuff in their art book that came out. Any restrictions on how original it has to be or anything?

It's hardly free, you have to spend two months creating a complete 3D model just for the chance to win it.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    It's hardly free, you have to spend two months creating a complete 3D model just for the chance to win it.
    Well to be fair, if you're entering, then you should go in with the intention of getting practice or learning, rather than trying to get free shit.

They could just give out recognition to the winners, would that be better? It's great that they are willing to give away so much stuff to somebody interested in the contest. In addition to giving out a lifetime supply of their own product, they are giving people a lot of other stuff, including a vacation somebody will remember for the rest of their lives, one of the best GPUs on the market, next-gen consoles, and a professional license to software that people may or may not have.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unless I missed something, the contest says nothing of winning a video card. That was just a suggestion someone made.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Jerc wrote: »
    Well we added a Titan as an alternative to Modo/Maya licenses :)

You missed something.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Jerc, as far as I can tell substance painter allows max 2k texture sizes?

With that in mind, and with the 8K x 4K texture budget, doesnt it mean that folks that try and stay within the substance family alone will either have to cut stuff into a ton of maps(bit of a pain in the arse) or be at a disadvantage?

Its a minor winge, and I'm hoping that the answer will be that 4k support for painter is coming soon :D
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yes the NVidia Titan is now part of the prizes, we have server issues that prevent us from replacing the images to reflect that change on the contest page.

@seth Indeed Substance Painter is still limited to 2k so you may have to cut your budget into multiple maps indeed if you plan on using it. Hopefully 4k support in Painter will be available in the coming month.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Is the trial versions of the allegorithmic software enough to do this? I haven't used it and figure it would be a good excuse to get stuck into it!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    There's no limitations on the trial other than 30 days time.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok sweet!

I didn't want to download it now, and waste the trial while I'm concepting and modelling
  • iskandar80
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iskandar80 polycounter lvl 6
    Muzz wrote: »
    ok sweet!

I didn't want to download it now, and waste the trial while I'm concepting and modelling

Actually, we will reset all trials early June so that you can use the trial version until the end of the contest. So feel free to use the trial right away :)
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    are the licenses offered commercial and upgradable or just NFR licenses ?
  • iskandar80
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iskandar80 polycounter lvl 6
    MM wrote: »
    are the licenses offered commercial and upgradable or just NFR licenses ?

yes, commercial, and with free upgrades!
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Quick note, the deadline for the contest has been pushed back to July 18th as we got a lot of feedback from people wanting to participate but currently crunching for E3.
    This should give them a little more time to work on their submission.