Home General Discussion

UbiART

Maddness
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Maddness polycounter lvl 11
Ever since the first hints that they might release the SDK I've been waiting for it. It looks so fun to use and I already love drawing in flash.

Anyone heard any buzz lately on Ubi still doing this? I need this in my life.

Replies

• rls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rls polycounter lvl 3
    I dont' think ubi will make ubiart to the public. :/
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Talked to the tech art director there and there was so suggestion of opening it to the public. The tech is awesome though! Had the pleasure of watching a live demo of the framework
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well damn. Maybe they'll at least license it in the future?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    i dont see how the average artist would benefit from this being released vs doing something similar in ue4 or any other engine. the toolset isnt what makes the games that use it amazing, its the sheer artistic talent on those teams and their eyes for composition, color etc. everything is pretty much painted by the concept artists and then sliced up and projected onto various geo/planes. just make a fixed cam in UE and then work off the cameras perspective.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I think a lot of cool stuff could be done with their tech, but I fail to see how Ubi would benefit in any way by releasing it. The only scenario I can come up with is that they get exclusive rights to paid releases, so if you want to make a paid game with it, Ubi has to publish it or nobody can.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The tool set to me does seem to speed up the process of some things. I mean, yeah, I agree that it all depends on the artist and their abilities to make the game actually work and look great, but would it be wrong to assume that some back end things might be taken care of a lot easier with an engine designed specifically for 2D games instead of in UE4?

Though, upon using Google fu a little more, I did stumble across this article: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/08/22/more-ubiart-framework-games-in-development_2c00_-licensing-still-possible-says-ubisoft-ceo-yves-guillemot.aspx

which has this snippet:

"We also inquired on the status of providing the powerful tools to others. Guillemot told us that licensing plans are still under consideration, but the necessary support structure is not yet in place. Once Ubisoft can properly provide the customer service to those that buy into UbiArt, we expect the company will move forward. Rayman creator Michel Ancel previously expressed his desire to see the engine be available as an open source technology."

So maybe.