Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hackers Hideout WIP

Latest Update: 5/9/14
Everything is so big! lmao. Blocking in, got most of the lights, just need to rescale everything.
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2061434&postcount=19

---

What up!

So I've learned a lot about modeling these past few months and want to try to push my limits to the test. I'm going to try to learn PBR completely, and try to create a small scene inside of UE4, something I've never really done before.

So my choice of learning all this?

Hackers Hideout!

1FiR1XC.jpg
Concept by Samuel Aaron

I'm going to try to plan this out as best as possible and execute it, so here it goes.

I've created a list of assets and an action plan on how to approach this as far as modeling.

action plan!
modular texture:
[ ]tile
[ ]walls
[ ]lights
[ ]grates
[ ]concrete

single objects:
[ ]chair
[ ]desk
[ ]computers
[ ]toilet
[ ]dispenser
[ ]kitchen assets
[ ]coffee table
[ ]cabinet
[ ]Gamecast 360
[ ]TV
[ ]books
[ ]trash bin
[ ]lamp + table
[ ]couch
[ ]cup
[ ]ladder steps
[ ]vault door

I know it's not much right now, but I want to document a complete start --> finished project, from first thought and plan to finished, UE4 environment.

Replies

• David3D.The
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a cool concept, I look forward to seeing this come together. Good luck!
    It might end up a bit cramped so will be interested to see how it looks.
  • ahendowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had to take a while to update this because I was learning the idea behind PBR, but I think I finally got it. Here's a test of the ground, I'll of course spruce it up, but I think I finally got an idea for good workflow to start creating this environment:

0ErsWS9.jpg

Going to start pumping out assets now!
  • ahendowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Question guys! Why is this SO reflective? I thought if it's metal, just make the metalness map black and call it a day. Roughness texture should calm down any super reflective, right? So why is the ENTIRE surface reflecting such a mirror like way?

Tjs3SaO.jpg
    N6UcXx7.png
    NDjMZrc.jpg
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adjust specular value with a constant or something. I would love to do the same thing as you do just a small project, cant find any good "small" concepts though. Also i think your rougness needs to be a bit moore dark. Thoose lighter areas will act almost like a mirror.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Ok so here's how it works. For metalness, black = 0 = 0% metal, and white = 100% metal. Same for roughness. Black = 0 = 0% rough, or 100% shiny; and white = 100% rough, or 0% shiny. So if you want to have some really rough metal, roughness should be closer to white than it is and metalness should be all the way white.

To make Toolbag work like UE4, you'll have to check Invert by the glossiness map to switch glossiness to roughness, and you should leave Invert unchecked by Metalness.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh sorry yeah its the other way around from Marmoset and UE4 sorry ! Listen to Jed
  • ahendowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So after twiddling with it, what do you guys think of this floor?

GGiqBvZ.jpg
    nTsdSAK.jpg

old update:

Thanks, I kind of got it slowly working. However, is this because of light or my textures? UE4 is still rendering it SUPER ugly. What would you recommend? I feel like without making the roughness map super white, it's going to look really patchy and not great.

http://i.imgur.com/JvGWF6f.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/fhoqaK3.jpg
  • ahendowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having some trouble with my lighting / light maps.

There's some seams and weird lighting artifacts. Everything is snapped to grid / perfectly aligned, but these things keep happening! Lighting is at a production level too. Any help?

Lightmaps are at a 128 at the moment. I've tried upping it from 32 --> 128, but it's still wigging out :|

4Ou4Wbg.jpg
    dTKe5LP.jpg
    qyQ8d5H.png
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    don't leave the uvw islands on the edges like that. bleed.
  • ahendowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash wrote: »
    don't leave the uvw islands on the edges like that. bleed.

Just tried it at a 64 resolution, still getting that weird spike artifact:

l8JJyWL.jpg
    jFI4Rop.png
  • Mr.Cash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why don't you stitch all the UV island together? Smoothing groups have no importance here.
    Shadow artifact is caused by your splitted UVs.
  • ahendowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Cash wrote: »
    Why don't you stitch all the UV island together? Smoothing groups have no importance here.
    Shadow artifact is caused by your splitted UVs.

That worked beautifully! The shadows are lightmapping smooth and great at 128 resolution.

Now I'm getting really dark seams between my meshes. If it's not one things, it's always another.

It's baffling me why one side has it, but the other doesn't, when they're all the same mesh :|

N2tiqTO.jpg
    9CMT1Tt.png
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    It's funny, I was having some of the exact same issues (my uvs didn't have any bleed either.) So this thread was helpful!
    Loving the concept! I'm looking forward to seeing it progress.

Sanity check: For the black lines, have you confirmed that your mesh sides snap together nicely? (no gaps in between?).
    Second sanity check: On your texture, double check that there are no black lines near it(bleed your texture just to be sure.

Tip: if you want to maximize UV space for the wall texture, I would separate the front from the back and overlay them, then stretch out the UV.
    You'll need a second UV set then for the lightmap, but it will allow you to have more detail in your wall texture.
  • ahendowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin wrote: »
    It's funny, I was having some of the exact same issues (my uvs didn't have any bleed either.) So this thread was helpful!
    Loving the concept! I'm looking forward to seeing it progress.

Sanity check: For the black lines, have you confirmed that your mesh sides snap together nicely? (no gaps in between?).
    Second sanity check: On your texture, double check that there are no black lines near it(bleed your texture just to be sure.

Tip: if you want to maximize UV space for the wall texture, I would separate the front from the back and overlay them, then stretch out the UV.
    You'll need a second UV set then for the lightmap, but it will allow you to have more detail in your wall texture.

The tips are good, but I already did those. My diffuse is on a seperate UV channel, what I posted was my lightmap channel. Thanks for taking an interest though!

I got rid of the black lines by simply rotating the mesh. Apparently, one side gets seams, the other doesn't. So hey, you're not going to see the outside so I flipped them. I'm still curious as how to fix them, but at least it's working now.

Here's an update. I still have to create the rest of the textures on the metal part on the top, and the walls, and there's a seam where the curved part is currently.

Kckl5Mo.jpg
    phSHLz4.jpg
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Cool concept! I'll keep an eye on your thread! Keep it up :D
  • ahendowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've never done any type of lighting really. Any help? I'm assuming a point light for the walls would be ideal, but I'm having some odd problems.

Any way to make certain lights not create a lens flare? I know lens flares are the greatest piece of technology ever to grace movie and level creation, but it's a bit much for me now :P

What kind of lights should I create for this kind of environment?

If it is a point light, would I put the point light right on the light, or would I position it differently? How do I illuminate the entire scene as if these lights are the only thing lighting it?

It's a bit of a challenge, I can't just throw in a directional light, every light is created from a source.

Also, with emissive textures, will they be idea for this kind of lighting area?

Ljey6B3.png
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    u just have to set the brightness down I think (And/or move it a bit further from the wall), that's why it looks like a lensflare but it isn't. Create a bigger point light(s) more towards the center of the room but with a lower brightness. There's some great tutorials on lightning on Unreal Engine's youtube page.
    This concept is pretty awesome, keep blocking things out- following to see where this is going :) Keep going!
  • ahendowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I started blocking in everything when things seemed off... when I put in a character, holy craaap everything is so big!!! hahahah! Scaling down. Got most of my basic lights in, might darken it down a bit.

Fk2AKa3.jpg
    5yZ7DRD.jpg
  • ahendowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Major, major, major re scaling issues finally brought together this. A hopefully final, completed block out of all the assets, or major assets anyways.

ztQZGGn.jpg
    1Yw8TW4.jpg
    34TSEZq.jpg

Here's a 182cm tall character I added in for reference:

dFfMAdt.jpg

What do you guys feel about the scaling? If no big problems, I'm ready to start getting some assets done for this thing. The fun part!
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Works better with this less large corridor :)

But I think I can see a little thing that can be improved.

If you look at the concept, the white curved plate at the top of the walls is more or less 1/2 height of the wall's height.

In your last screenshot your white plate looks like they have the same height as the walls. (1 height unit for the wall, 1 height unit for the plate)

Sorry I don't have photoshop here for doing a paintover :/ I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say :D
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here I am, coming back from work!

Quick and dirty paintover! Ok the units are not exactly the same on my image, but you can see the idea I think :)

MODULARPROPORTION.jpg