Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Work

Hello All,
I am posting here to get some feedback on some of the work I have done during my time in school. Please provide constructive feedback in the interest of improving my skills.
Thanks!

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the dungeon, change the main lighting to a darker, blue shade, and have the candles actually provide light.

The candle flames are too white; they should cast a more orange/yellow light. Add some wax puddles under them, especially those standing on the table.

Add some iron rings on the walls, and darken the drains to give a sense of greater depth.
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks simple. What do you intend models of this quality to be used for?
  • rashuck213
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback. "DWalker" that is great advice, I will put that into effect.
    "Ahoburg" these models are student work and never really intended as an asset in a larger project.
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    You'll need to do more to make that robot look good, right now it looks too primitive, as in made from basic 3D primitives with a few extensions. That's easier said than done, but that's where the artistic element comes in. It will help to take a few screenshots and do a paintover for yourself to come up with more complex shapes.
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Not to shabby for early work. I'm not sure of your situation or freedom to pick and choose what you do for your education work. But I personally think its very easy to get lost in more complex work and ambitions when starting out. If you think about it you had to design, model, texture, rig and render this project. You are very much diluting down your learning and lacking focus.

If your looking to focus your time and improve your skills quickly I would recommend this.

Modelling - Don't worry about texturing or design, find something that is within your skill range and try and reproduce it. Start small, something like an arcade machine, industrial machine etc... Use reference, you must be able to model accurately before jumping to original designs. Once you can confidently replicate an small object from reference move up in complexity to something like a van or tractor.

Baking and UV Mapping - Using what you learned modelling take a step back and create something you can produce and iterate on quickly. A good example would be a barrel or crate. Learn how to transfer high polygon model data onto a lower polygon model. Keep iterating as you learn to remove seams, reuse texture space and create good bakes.

Texturing - Now use the models you just baked and try texturing them. Remember, the models you produced should have been simple boxes, barrels etc... Only when you can create textures your happy with should you move on.

That should give you a foundation of modelling, unwrapping, baking and texturing. You must learn to crawl before you can walk and you need to walk before you can run. You can still dream of becoming an athelite but must practice and master your ability before jumping into your first race :P
  • rashuck213
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is fantastic advice! A more focused workflow is exactly what I need to push my projects to the next level. While working I often find myself wrapped up in the future steps I will need to take to complete an asset. This is detrimental to the creative process at a fundamental level. I am going to implement this workflow immediately. Thank you.