Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Motorini Dealer WIP (Maya)

Hi, I am making a structure for a modeling class. It is due next Thursday.

For the assignment, I chose a Motorini Dealer in Savannah, Ga. I need to make a full model of the entire building while adding the surrounding area is optional.

Textures may 1024 X 1024 maximum, and I can only use up to 16 separate texture files. Maximum of 16000 tri's. Photo-sourced textures recommended but optional.

Of course I'm still working on the window textures (you can see the repeats).

What I'm mainly worried about is how to make the building's facade 'interesting'. I believed it received a nice coat of paint recently and the building therefore looks less aged.

http://www.vespasavannah.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/store-1.jpg
http://wanderlustforone.marshasamuel.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/savannah-motorini-vespa.jpg

I took my own references, the staff think I'm insane for taking pictures of their sidewalk... walls... windows...

So, what do you recommend I do to make it more appealing.

motorini1_by_mazman34340-d7gv5tp.jpg

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rather than having all of the bay doors closed, you could have them open or partially open as in the reference photos. If that would drive the poly count too high, then you could use shadow boxes to represent the interior - simple, textured walls to give the illusion of depth & detail.

You're missing the fluorescent bulbs under the portico.

Note that the paint isn't really flat - if you look at the reflections in the light in the portico in the second image you'll notice a subtle bumpy texture. Perhaps a simple noise added to the normal map texture would work.

Wetting down the pavement - as shown in the second image - would add some variety and allow you to play with subtle reflections.

The sign looks thicker than in the reference. Take along a ruler & a caliper next time to remove any doubts about your sanity. ;)
  • mazman34340
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motorini2_by_mazman34340-d7h07aw.jpg

Small to do list:
    - bevel edges around columns
    - create 'grounding' between the sidewalk / parking
    - Place metal decals on parking.
    - Finnish window textures

concrete_texture_by_mazman34340-d7h09vf.jpg

Concrete texture had a major do-over. I like how it turned out.
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    The scaling on the concrete texture feels way off. Those squares look like they should be maybe five feet wide, not twenty.
  • limeforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    limeforce polycounter lvl 7
    Looking nice! The window textures need more variation as you said and as a Finnish person I'm really looking forward to the Finnish window textures! :P

finland-flag.gif
  • Atokal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Atokal polygon
    Howdy, Scale of the texture for the floor is to large.
  • mazman34340
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motorini_render_by_mazman34340-d7i4lkr.jpg

Think I did alright for class, but as a portfolio piece it needs more work.

*bevel edges near roof-line.
    *Improve grounding between the driveway and sidewalk
    *More vegetation would be nice.

Any other suggestions?
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few mopeds - actually, just different skins for 1 model - would be nice, and would give you another portfolio piece...