Home General Discussion

Studding Modeling in Maya and Anatomy

I need some help. I want to study as much as can in a day and practice Modeling in Maya and Anatomy in Zbrush or to study Zbrush tool first.

I am not sure how much time should i spend on each. I know for modeling in Maya takes time and practice to get it, but for anatomy and zbrush takes even more time.

My plan is to use maya for hard surface, prop etc. and Zbrush for Characters.

No idea how to organize my time.

Help!!!!!

Replies

• GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    Take as much time as you need. Just make sure you get a good understanding of what it is you're studying.

You'll get faster with practice
  • Lonny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am trying to understand and practice too. But there so much information at once:D
  • Lonny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone else pls??
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Get a decent grasp on the tools before you try and learn anatomy. You don't need to have mastered every single feature, but you're not going to be able to learn anatomy if you don't know how to build the shapes. Similarly, I'd focus on one program at a time at first. They can be overwhelming enough on their own when you're new.
  • Lonny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For Zbrush what features i need to know for building shapes?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    claytubes

really dude thats up to you, you have too much imformations? so bad for you ;) when some of us started this stuff over 15 years ago, there was basically no information around.

try stuff, play around, use what you like. i build almost anything in zbrush with claytubes, outwards inwards and smooth
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    I want to expand a little on what Neox said.

Steps to Software Mastery:

1) Try something and see what happens.
    2) Did you like it?
    2a) If yes, remember or write down what you did.
    2b) If no, don't do it again.
    3) Try something else.
    4) Return to 2.
    Ongoing) If perplexed, check the manual. If still confused, ask someone.

That's how I learned Photoshop and Illustrator. If you're familiar with the cartoon Dexter's Laboratory, you can think of yourself as DeeDee. Spend your time running around like crazy saying, "Oooh, what does this button do?" As a bonus, you may come up with some neat new ways to do things that others haven't found.
  • Bridget
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just concentrate on what you like best. if you like sculpting more than hard surface then go for that first.
    Hard surface is pretty easy especially when you can do it in zbrush, anyone can make a crate but not anyone can make a human face that doesn't look like a disgusting alien when it wasn't your intention, not without a lot of practice. (even then some people..)

I found that the better you draw the better you sculpt, because you've learned all those brain tools needed to portrait a physical emotion and I believe that's the most important part of a sculpture or drawing, above anatomy which you wont even see most of the time.
    most of the time you'll probably be sculpting clothing..
    if you don't know figure drawing I suggest you study it.

as for the tools. zbrush is pretty braindead easy but you're always going to be learning new tools about it because they're always advancing it so trying to master it all would be a waste of time. learn the bare basics you need for sculpting then the more advanced tools as you need them.
    but it really shouldnt take you more than a day.