Home Technical Talk

Multiple objects and same texture

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Make666 polycounter lvl 10
What is best way to make multiple objects use same Uv and texture?

Replies

• JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    By duplicating the ones that already have UVs and texture?
  • Make666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My question was pretty bad. What i meant was how to make all these parts to use same texture?
    2FfwQ7v.png
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    I'm a little confused by the question.
    Apply the texture to each part? If you combine the object using Mesh>Combine (or it might be edit mesh>combine), and apply the material, they will all be using the same texture. Then it is just a matter of adjusting the UV layout.
  • Make666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay thanks i will try that.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Give them all the same material
  • Make666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For some weird reason, i thought that combining all parts to one mesh is wrong way to do things. I feel really stupid now. :whyme: Im quite new in 3d modelling so i will be posting more stupid questions in the future.
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Make666 wrote: »
    For some weird reason, i thought that combining all parts to one mesh is wrong way to do things. I feel really stupid now. :whyme: Im quite new in 3d modelling so i will be posting more stupid questions in the future.
    It depends on your workflow. I prefer to keep it all seperate. Even for game assets I only combine seperate meshes in the end.

I don´t know if 3dsmax supports the unwrapping of multiple objects at the same time. I use uvlayout and it simply unrwaps every object I put in and I got them back as seperate objects in softimage but they use the same uvlayout.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Yeah max supports unwrap of multiple objects. You don't have to combine them.
    At the end, you generally want to have the less objects possible, because parsing objects is ressource consuming for a real time engine.
    But when building your model, you do whatever you want.
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    Make666 wrote: »

I look forward to them! ;) Asking questions is how we learn!

Personally when I have a complex object like that, I start with them as seperate components. Then I apply the same material to all of them (even if it is a temp one to start) and then I unwrap each part separately, move them on the uv map to some corner, so that when I combine ALL off the objects, there's no overlap.
    Then I select all of the objects, combine them, and re-arrange the UVs to all fit.

Hope that helps!