Home General Discussion

Anatomy and 3D

Hi. I started to learn 3D last summer. I got some tutorials for Maya and so far i am doing great.

I want to learn Anatomy. But i don't really know how to start. I want to start in Zbrush, since i also learn zbrush, and it is the best program, just a little bit creepy.

Do you think i will be ok if i start to learn Anatomy in Zbrush? And with hard work i can make stunning characters and creatures?

And i really want to point me out in right direction about Anatomy. What do i need to know? How to do Anatomy in Zbrush, with dynamesh , or with zsphere and then dynamesh?
Can i start to study the skeleton and sculpt whole skeleton in Zbrush?
And then to apply muscles and study muscles from each part of the body?

I want to leave head at last, because it is a bit to complicated for me.

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    You'll want to study this (Andrew Loomis - Figure Drawing)
    iqI1L0tBA5rMS.jpg
  • Count Vertsalot
    http://www.anatomytools.com/

They have everything from statues to books.
  • MattQ86
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    I'd recommend you start learning anatomy with drawing first, you'll get an understanding for the forms of the body much quicker that way. Loomis is always a good place to start.
  • Lonny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to draw in the last 3-4 years. But every time i got into drawing, i usually end up frustrated. Maybe i don't have the mentality for drawing. Maybe for some people started with drawing and later they started with 3D.

So i thing drawing is not for me. I can't do something that i don't enjoy and i don't have fun. I can't find a teacher to teach me, since art here is non-existent

I am not going for something to understand quickly, i will start slowly.

What are my chances with Zbrush?

And btw, Loomis's books was my first books for drawing. But there so many texts than telling steps to draw.
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    Lonny wrote: »
    I tried to draw in the last 3-4 years. But every time i got into drawing, i usually end up frustrated. Maybe i don't have the mentality for drawing. Maybe for some people started with drawing and later they started with 3D.

So i thing drawing is not for me. I can't do something that i don't enjoy and i don't have fun. I can't find a teacher to teach me, since art here is non-existent

I am not going for something to understand quickly, i will start slowly.

What are my chances with Zbrush?

And btw, Loomis's books was my first books for drawing. But there so many texts than telling steps to draw.

I totally understand you ! When I started to learn anatomy I tried to just keep drawing it but it was very hard for me and I couldnt remember things and also got problems with perspective. Then I jumped into zbrush and started sculpting anatomy especially heads since I liked that part the most. At start it was hard but the good thing is that I shouldnt be worried about perspective at all and I concentrated more on actually understanding the forms and masses. Finally I came to a point where I could sculpt a head with good proportions and it looked a lot better than my drawn head. However, now I came back to drawing the heads and I think I started to understand it better . I think drawing is good if you want to concept stuff. Once you learn how to draw it will be the quickiest way to visualize your ideas which is very important if you want to become a very successful artist. Also you can try and combine sculpting and drawing it may help you to understand anatomy a lot better.

Also try this book by Michael Hampton:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Figure-Drawing-Invention-Michael-Hampton/dp/0615272819/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398756536&sr=8-1&keywords=michael+hampton"]Figure Drawing: Design and Invention: Michael Hampton: 9780615272818: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

It is well structured and there are less text and it is very straight forward.

This book is awesome and helped me a lot with the anatomy learning with zbrush :

http://pixologic.com/blog/2010/01/zbrush-book-digital-sculpting-human-anatomy-by-scott-spencer/

and here some amazing youtube channels about drawing and anatomy:
    PROKO
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClM2LuQ1q5WEc23462tQzBg
    SYCRA
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5dyu9y0EV0cSvGtbBtHw_w
    XIA TAPTARA
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkuerBkKrdh-eYzTENy4PXw
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    to go against the grain I don't think you need to start with drawing at all, and its a shame no one here has yet mentioned the courses scott eaton offers on digital figure sculpting and anatomy.
  • Lonny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank ahtiandr.

I am not planning to become concept artist or to do concepts. I can do concepts in Zbrush, I see many people do that.

What makes me frustrated in drawing books is that, have lots of texts and less practical approach in drawing. I don't want to copy their drawings.

I will start in Zbrush since, is i fell so much better with Zbrush, i don't care if takes me 10 years to make proper head or human body. I will learn slowly. Just i can't do something i fell bored.

Just i wanted to know if this approach is good and i can become awesome modeler.

BTw i know Scott's courses, will plan to attend this summer.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    You don't necessarily need perspective to study anatomy with drawing. In my opinion, cross sections and landmarks is where it's at !
    And drawing cross sections on paper is and will always be way faster than pushing/pulling shapes out of clay - digital or traditional :)

But it is true that in a lot of instructional material out there there tends to be an overlap or even a confusion between technique (perspective rendering, "pretty" anatomy studies) and design (the actual characteristics of what is being studied), which can indeed be discouraging.

Also, studying anatomy doesn't mean drawing pictures from bodybuilding magazines ...

d908133cce0874bc3098c0518805459c.jpg
    (handout from a Kevin Chen class)

Last tip : I agree, copying a drawing (which is already an approximate 2D projection of an actual 3D object) is extremely boring since it just becomes a tracing exercise. Sketching from photos feels a little better, since you can freely adjust things. But a very fun way to bypass the issue altogether is to make a study ... from a different angle than the one shown in the reference. In my experience, the though process of figuring out the shapes in space from another POV totally shuts down the nagging thoughts about making a pretty drawing, since the brain is pretty busy figuring out more interesting and challenging stuff :)