Home Technical Talk

Incentive to learn Maya when already competent at Max?

Hey guys.

I've been getting quite competent at 3D modelling over the past couple years. 3ds Max is the only 3D package I use when making my models and so I've gotten quite used to it. Is there any incentive for me to learn and use Maya? I've heard that it's better to know more than one program for each section of a workflow but both Max and Maya are almost identical.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Replies

• Valliant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valliant polycounter lvl 4
    I'm a Maya user who's never delved into Max to any great degree, but from what I've heard from friends of mine the animation/rigging tools in Maya are a lot better than the ones in Max, so if you're looking to develop either of those skills Maya might be worth a look.

If you're just doing modelling, the Maya modelling tools are fine, but it can be slower than working in Max.

However if you're going to work in a studio it's pretty likely that you'll be using one or the other, so at least being familiar with Maya might be a point in your favour.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Am also a Maya user, I'd say try it out but there's no need to delve deeply into it unless a studio you're joining is using it, since you could be using that time to make more awesome stuff in the app you're comfortable with.