Home General Discussion

Relocating and couch surfing?

I talked to someone recently about my struggle to break into the industry and he said that maybe it's a good time to think about relocating. I live near Boston and I know there's stuff out here, but I can't seem to get a foothold.

I think this drastic change is exactly what I need. I've been getting too comfortable at home. I feel like I'm stuck in a rut, and it's not helping my career any.

He also said that if I do want to relocate and am short on cash, one way to do it might be by couch surfing. It'll help save money, and could be a way to meet people.

What do you guys think about moving out to the west coast or parts of Canada (or basically anywhere they have a good amount of studios)? And how about the couch surfing? Is there a safe way to go about it? Is it even a good idea?

Replies

• s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Not a good idea, IMO.

If you're willing to move for work there's no reason you are restricted to looking for work in Boston. My advice would be to apply for jobs elsewhere, see what sticks, save some money for the move or negotiate a relocation bonus, and then move.

The lack of control over you life while you're couch surfing won't help you land a job. Being on the west coast doesn't guaranty you employment.

Be smart in the way you go about it and I think it will work out fine for you! Good luck man.
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    How does your portfolio look first?

You can go almost anywhere you want and still not find work if your portfolio isn't good enough.

About the only reason I'd see to move to a place with more studios without having a job first is that you might get to know someone already in a studio, or with ties to a recruiter.

This industry hires based on two things, who you know and how good your portfolio is. A third one is how well you work with others, but that's covered under who you know.

I've known people who have gotten jobs in the industry based on who they knew, but they didn't last long if their work wasn't up to standard. Once you get fired or let go for that reason, it tends to follow you since everyone talks to everyone.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Vertrucio wrote: »
    How does your portfolio look first?

You can go almost anywhere you want and still not find work if your portfolio isn't good enough.

About the only reason I'd see to move to a place with more studios without having a job first is that you might get to know someone already in a studio, or with ties to a recruiter.

This industry hires based on two things, who you know and how good your portfolio is. A third one is how well you work with others, but that's covered under who you know.

I've known people who have gotten jobs in the industry based on who they knew, but they didn't last long if their work wasn't up to standard. Once you get fired or let go for that reason, it tends to follow you since everyone talks to everyone.

very true dude you got to put in the work regardless of who you know.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    just work on your folio...moving to a different location wont make the work stand ou more. Dont be lazy , if you are stuck in a rut, commit to exiting it by working hard, disciplining yourself and learning as much as you can. There is no other way.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    In the internet age, there's really not much benefit in relocating to an area just to job hunt.

That said, if you need to get out of a rut and your feeling some wanderlust, go travel! couch surf, get a feel for some new places and what's around.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Do it. If you have nothing holding you down, why the hell not? Living by the seat of your pants in an awesome motivator. It's a great way to have reality smack you in the face and make you realize that that dumpster you've been working on for the past 4 months isn't going to land you that sweet gig at Valve. Pull some Horace Greeley, and go west, mine the hill of California for a game job. If you fail, you're going to have to play the safe path anyway, might as well have an adventure before you're chained to a cubicle for 14 hours a day.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    low odor wrote: »
    Do it. If you have nothing holding you down, why the hell not? Living by the seat of your pants in an awesome motivator. It's a great way to have reality smack you in the face and make you realize that that dumpster you've been working on for the past 4 months isn't going to land you that sweet gig at Valve. Pull some Horace Greeley, and go west, mine the hill of California for a game job. If you fail, you're going to have to play the safe path anyway, might as well have an adventure before you're chained to a cubicle for 14 hours a day.

"I am not living in a dumpster, I am conducting in the field research!"
  • Hawkes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As someone who moved to a new city to pursue 3D art (gaming included) I highly suggest it. The only reason you shouldn't is if you live in an area with a high gaming concentration. I don't know how Boston is but Richmond, VA is almost nonexistent for that. It is a mix of who you know and what you know. I finished a huge update to my portfolio about a year into my stay in Austin. I finally landed a job texturing painting in a non related field. If it wasn't for my portfolio I wouldn't have been considered.

On the flip side I have been to many job fairs before moving. Everyone I spoke to told me with no job experience it was better to move to a place with jobs. Nobody was willing to take a chance on someone half way across the country with no field experience.

I haven't seen you work but it does say something if you can't land a job in your hometown if there is a decent amount of game companies there. Moving is very difficult if you don't know anybody. Not everybody is built for it. There is also nothing more rewarding than landing a job after working hard for it.

Bottom line is if your portfolio is not up to par you won't have a career. You might land a job, but that shouldn't be your end point. A career is something that builds over time.

Edit* Also save lots of money. I would say have at least six months to a years worth of rent just in case. You don't want money issues weighing you down.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Sure, as long as you have a backup plan.

What are you gonna do if you run out of money, run out of couch surfing options, and have nowhere to spend the night? Are you alright going to a homeless shelter? Are you worried someone might steal your laptop there while you sleep? Are you ok setting up a tent under a bridge? Are you worried it might rain and ruin your laptop? Do you have a car you can live in? Preferably with tinted windows so the cops can't see you sleeping inside? Do you think you can feed yourself and still have time to work on art when you're earning your living panhandling all day?

Couch surfing is plenty safe if you go to well reviewed hosts, but it's not a permanent solution.
  • Hawkes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also you have to think if your couch surfing that is time not spent working on art. What if it take you six months to find a job? That is six months you haven't kept your skills sharp. A lot of these major cities have a high cost of living. They will chew you up and spit you out before you even have a chance to get a solid feel of the place. The last thing you want to do is screw up an opportunity because you weren't able to make it financially.

Improve your portfolio, grow a network online (preferably in the place your looking to relocate), save money and then move when you know your ready to focus on landing your first gig.
  • Atn567
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everybody for the input! It helps a lot.
  • KristalC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for sharing this with us. I'm actually went through the same situation and a close friend of mine recommended that I move elsewhere so I can start fresh. I thought this was a good move for me but just like you, I had doubts at first since I lived in this state almost all my life. But honestly, I don't regret following my friend's advice. At first, it was sad for me but eventually everything fell into its place. Anyway, many cities struggle with dealing with growing destitute populations, but some are purchasing a ticket out of town for any that want to leave. More places are relocating destitute willing to go, as it often solves issues for all parties involved. Probably population is one of the reasons why I had to look for a job outside my state. I just feel that there are too many people residing in that area. Just saying.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    If you couch surf you'll end up getting caught in a long chain of non-stop partying. Which might work to get you out of the rut. Just won't add anything to the portfolio...
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Ah necro thread.