Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: TheColinous

This is really a log of a whole project, rather than a sketch about something. I've been tinkering with making games for years, but never get anywhere, and the reason that I never get anywhere is because I'm trying to do an art project knowing only how to code.

The game I'm working on now won't be like that, and if it's not going to be like that, then I have to become a better artist – or I'll see the same thing happen again. My poor trash of art assets will discourage me, even though my games may have merit otherwise.

So, my goals for now are: while working on two levels of this game – one indoors and one outdoors – I shall learn the a lot.

Thanks for reading! Crits are welcome. :)

Edit: Removed some images that seemed to only get in the way.

Replies

• TheColinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I look at the other sketch pads, and feel a little ashamed about my childlike doodling in here. You others are awesome, and I feel like I have so far to go before I'm a hundredth of the skill of you lot.

But, neither art nor coding has room for a big ego, does it?

I have been working on textures in between revision and homework.

I want to make a Celtic-style interleaving pattern in gold for one spot on the ship.

I figure I should make it as a texture. My base is this.

ZpkzXWn.png

It is interesting, the monks of Lindisfarne for instance, who worked along the cultural trajectory of the Anglo-Saxons, were masters of interleaving patterns. Their books are so rich in detail and awesomeness. So, when you sit there and think "I could never do that, I better quit now", you might not realise that their system is quite simple.
  • TheColinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GlDBsmb.jpg

I've decided to give me enough time to learn a program from the basics, so I bought myself ZBrush. Because everyone says it's cool. The UI is terrible though. But, I've been slogging through it. I will eat macaroni and ketchup for the next few months. I can box model in Blender. I know that program quite well. I can sculpture things in ZBrush.

I wish it was easier (and less expensive) to transfer pen and ink to digital.

I've been studying anatomy hard. This is (another) terrible image, but it's exaggerated and all while I learn the muscle groups. Hah, I wish I had one hundredth of the skill of the other people in here. :D
  • TheColinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4pG0vXB.jpg

My latest project in building my knowledge foundations. I'm trying to create a hybrid cyborg kind of model.

I should add that crits are welcome. Much of what I do ends up half-finished, so I know about that. But, like I said, this is foundational. There's, not yet, a point to put in the extra hours to polish when basic proportions might still be off. Right?

I'm going to polish this one. Then use it as a basis to learn texturing and UVs.
  • TheColinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wX0ekZ0.jpg

Trying to get used to my Wacom, so I do a lot of stupid doodles like this. Tried to capture some kind of mood.
  • TheColinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been practising a lot lately - haven't kept this thread up to day. I got a wacom tablet, and I've been getting used to it. I also got sketchpads and stuff. This evening I did a very quick attempt at a self-portrait. Thought I'd put it here to show I'm not dead.

s15CPO7.jpg