Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio & Workflow Critique

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
I'd like some feedback on ways to Improve my Workflow and overall work quality. In terms of Modeling, UV Layout, Texturing & Material Definition
How do you go about Creating your Maps? (Diffuse, Spec & Gloss) for Normals I tend to use nDo 2 or Sculpt and bake with xNormals

Portfolio

Replies

• Eoq
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    Slim and sleak, liking it ;)
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Layout is easy and simple. I think I would prefer a back button than clicking on your name at the top but small nitpick. Would be nice to see a couple more personal pieces done really well.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Reduce the spacing from RESUME and the work. Seems like the padding is a bit much. I'd say you need another full scene maybe and a few more props. Right now I'm not sure what kind of style you're focusing on. I would pick current gen or stylized and go from there. Focus on 1 area and master that. Right now your scene is more current (last gen even at this point) and the props are mostly more stylized.

As far as workflow...sure. Whatever works. I have some stuff I do only in 3d modeling software and Photoshop. Others I use 3d modeling, ZBrush, 3dCoat, bake in xNormal/Topogun, use dDo/3d Coat to paint textures, etc. Whatever works.
  • CarlK3D
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eoq Thanks! I went through a lot of styles before I got it right

@slosh I added a Home Button on the Pages to make it a bit more clear

@Jeff I've reduced the resume link like you suggested. For now I'm just sticking to realism

More personal Environments is one of my goals for this year so I'll hopefully have a few done this year. I mainly need to build up my quality without resorting to things like dDo. primarily material Definition and texture quality/ baking
  • CarlK3D
    Offline / Send Message
    I've updated it a bit, I'm really happy with the site design now. Just need to add more work now - Portfolio
  • aaronkaminer
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronkaminer polycounter lvl 5
    You said you were looking for ways to improve your workflow and textures. There are a lot of different work flow and texture types. If you can be more specific I might be able to provide some insight. :)
  • CarlK3D
    Offline / Send Message
    - I find it hard sometimes getting an accurate High Poly Model in Maya that is not all floating geometry.
    - In terms of UV mapping do you go for as little UV spits as possible and have a bit of distortion? I find if I split it up to much there way more seams to cover up.
    - When you start a piece lets say a vehicle or gun do you make the high poly then strip it down to get the low? other way around? Or do you subdivide it up a bit make a copy and strip that down?