Home Technical Talk

Change rotation pivot of a group in Maya??

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
Is it possible to change the rotation pivot of a group.I know how to change the rotational pivot of an object in Maya by using the manipulator that comes on when u click the question mark button in component mode.

Replies

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    I'm not sure what you mean by "clicking the question mark button," but I think I can still answer your question.

You can change the pivot point of any selected object by pressing Insert to toggle pivot edit mode. From here you can move and snap the pivot to other locations. Press Insert again to exit pivot mode. Alternatively, holding the D key will enter pivot edit mode as long as they key is held down.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    He's talking about the select miscellaneous icon up in the toolbar next to the lock/unlock icon under the main menu. You can access the rotational pivot by hitting insert or holding d as Bartalon said and clicking the power icon that shows up.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply,guys.I know how to do that.What I meant was how do u change the rotation axes of a group if the rotational axes is aligned correctly especially if the object is bent and u freeze the transformations.I know how to fix this for an object in Maya but how do u fix this for a group?
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    I would create a box> use snap together tool to snap the box to a face of the frozen transformed object you want the rotation axis to be on> group the object(or Group of objects in your case) under the Box> Freeze Transform on the Object you want to edit> unparent from the Box and delete the Box> The Old object will inherit the rotation axis of the Box.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ onionhead_o Thanks a lot,bro.That solved it.