Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Future Sky Garden WIP

So I started work on a new scene focusing on modularity and nDo2, this was to help me stop relying of my hard surface centre pieces so much and speed up.

The scene itself is a garden in a clean futuristic city where the government/corperations hide their bad behaviour behind beauty. That theme will be explored later once everything is ready (if time permits).

MqJ6glf.jpg
kOtKcJC.jpg
jK4aAOa.jpg
99qXNgk.jpg
jAjtgmF.jpg
PWZvfuY.jpg
jC0aES0.jpg

So here's my to do list:

-Re UV all assets that need it
-Add wood flooring in places
-Improve surrounding buildings
-Replace placeholder textures
-Normal map the rest of the textures
-Add colour and wear to textures
-Add more plants
-Add particle effects
-Vary lights
-Fix tree trunk lighting error
-Add sky dome

If there is any more I need to do then I'd appreciate the input. Any general criticism of the design of the park itself either in a game or real life setting would also be really helpful too.

Replies

• Astro_Jesus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah this is really getting there. I see the walkway lamps are turned on, a night time version would be really cool as well.
    Don't be afraid to add more polys to the meshes, especially the circular walkway. I shouldn't see any segments.
    It's a clean set, but even cleanliness has grime and dirt. You should add dirt to the corners and where the structures meet the earth.
    Keep pushing man, it's going to be sweet!
  • Synthet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, glad you're liking it. I think some vertex painting would do the job.
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    This is looking really sweet. I think you should add something in the center of the circular part. Like a fountain or a statue. I also think you should add some colorful flowers. Or at least a bit of warm colors. A bit like in Flower on ps3 with the red and yellow flower in an ocean of grass, really stand out.
  • Synthet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, it needs some centre pieces and contrast, I dont really know what though.

I'm thinking some larger plants and leaves between the paths with the occasional abstract sculpture, with a big one in the middle. Similar to this.

dsc_6578.jpg
  • Cactus on Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cactus on Fire polycounter lvl 10
    I love the feeling it gives. Mostly because of the abstract setup of futuristic elements and the negative space in te background so it's not crowded.

Some issues that caught my eye are the grass and the lamps. I suggest you use rotate the grass normals upwards to avoid the nasty shadows caused by the planes. I'd also add some color variation, it looks too flat.
    Here's a tutorial on how to do it, and here's what it looks like afterwards.

http://wiki.polycount.com/VertexNormal

AgXHQMV.jpg

About the lamps, I'd look for reference images for futuristic lamps and outdoor garden elements. You can find many sweet things in concept arts. Here's an example.

uQTWXs8.jpg
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    I like it... and I think i'm gonna walk away now. but since you've got a good heading, I'd like to wait and see what you show us in your next update in order to give some critiques :/
  • Synthet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again, I've been unable to work on the scene for the past couple days but got most of the foliage done (I hope) shortly after I last posted.

It's a bit wild right now but I really wanted to have fun with the foliage tools, I can always dial it back.

DgepoSN.jpgspNNgGQ.jpgYam1IzH.jpggI2Y38G.jpgqmD2yoS.jpg5rGz4ff.jpgJjtX5AV.jpg

I'm going to try out walls along those two walkways to seperate them from the little forest bit. Better textures incoming too.gI2Y38G
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
  • Thaiauxn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thaiauxn polycounter lvl 7
    I really like this environment, it's magnificent.

I'd argue that the normals on the sidewalks and central circle are a little stretched and could benefit from a combination of higher resolution and a couple extra polygons, but it's a small note. Ndo2 does that for me too. The rest of this area is a perfect first person environment. I love the height dynamics and overall shapes. It's very open and bright, which is something I love. Well done.
  • Synthet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos - I just want to thank you for the tutorials you've done, they've been really valuable throughout this environment.

Thaiauxn - Yea, going to have to fix that, it looks even worse in the viewport.