Home Technical Talk

New comp build, need your advice :)

Hi Guys,
I put together a list of components for a new comp...

I could really use some advice as I value the opinions of the community here, rather than a salesperson :)

I'm looking to use this for Photoshop, 3DsMax 2014, Mudbox and CrazyBump.
Still unsure whether to go with Win 7 or 8/8.1, too...

CASE:
ANTEC Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case
$73

MOBO:
ASRock Z87 Extreme4 Socket LGA 1150 Z87 ATX Intel Motherboard
$145

PROCESSOR:
Intel Core i5 4670K 3.4GHz Socket LGA 1150 Boxed Processor
$190

GRAPHICS CARD:
EVGA 02G-P4-2754-KR NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Superclocked 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E 3.0x16 Video Card
$150

HD:
WD Desktop Mainstream 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
$63

SSD:
Samsung 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 120GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal (SSD)
$90

RAM:
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 8GB Memory Modules)
$145

CD/DVD DRIVE:
LG 24X Internal DVD ReWritable Drive SATA
$16

POWER:
Thermaltake TR2 Series 600 Watt ATX Power Supply
$50

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit English (1-Pack), OEM LPC
$100

Replies

• MadAlice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After tax, leaves me spending $1060...what think you?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    GPU is a bit weak, I'd at least get a gtx 760 and skip the ssd for a bit and upgrade that next.
  • MadAlice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, i was concerned that i might not need the ssd right away
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    8.1 versus 7 is really not as big a deal as people make it. I would say just get whichever is cheaper.

SSDs go on sale pretty frequently these days; you should be able to pick one up for relatively cheap.

That's a high price for a GTX 750. You should look for a GTX 760 at less than $240 or a GTX 770 at less than $320. If you can find a GTX 750 Ti, those are pretty cost-effective, although the 760 and 770 will probably do better running things that you want to run.

Otherwise that looks pretty reasonable overall; although I personally prefer Gigabyte motherboards over the others, I'm sure it will be fine.
  • Frawmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Win 7 for sure. They didn't change enough back to being optimal for PC users . unless you're getting a touchscreen monitor it will get really annoying sliding your mouse every which way to get the right menus
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to work with UE4, Marmoset Toolbag, etc I would go with at least a 660TI/760, or better yet a 770. I just switched from a 560TI to a 770 and lovvveeee it.

Though if you get something like a 770, make sure to get a very good, higher wattage PSU. When I got mine I blew a 550W Antec and then a 600w OCZ crashed on full load, make sure you get one with 2x 8-pin PCI-E connectors for the 770, I think that was really the problem as I was using the converter cables that came with it.

If you're going to be doing mostly stuff in the max viewport, the 750 will be fine.

Also yeah, go for Win 7 unless you have some sort of touchscreen device. Win 8 is really a touchscreen-centered OS.
  • Frawmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Question about the SSD setup though, since I'll be buildinga new PC soon as well. You just use it for launch, programs, and whatever project you're currently on? And then the HDD is just storage? Just curious how everyone uses it
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Also if you keep you eye out you can normally get a similar HDD that's 2TB for around $80, so only $20 more than the one you have picked. Also make sure to look at reviews for the power supply to make sure that it's reliable, there are power supplies out there that while they may seem good can be unreliable and totally fry some of your computer parts.

But yeah upgrading to an SSD should be pretty easy later too if you want. Samsung SSDs come with a fancy SATA to USB connector thing and software for making the swap. Though I personally love my SSD.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frawmus wrote: »
    Question about the SSD setup though, since I'll be buildinga new PC soon as well. You just use it for launch, programs, and whatever project you're currently on? And then the HDD is just storage? Just curious how everyone uses it

Yes, generally, OS, apps, working art files, and then archive art files onto larger HDD. Though SSD prices are coming down to the point where a 256GB drive isn't unreasonable, and at that point you can fit a lot more stuff on it.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Just a quick heads up. If you're a student, you can get Windows 8.1 professional for $70. With Start8 or Classic Start installed, you never have to look at the Metro UI.

I've found 8.1 to be a bit quicker in all areas, and have not had any compatibility problems.
  • MadAlice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow thanks guys! going to re-read everything that everyone said and see what I can cone up with, gratitude, Centurions!
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    I would highly reccommend a ATI card, they are just a lot more cost effective right now
    Have a 770 myself and its good, but the AMD are just cheaper and have a bunch more power for now.

Also you need a CPU with 8 threads. Dont get an i5. Get a i7 or a AMD with 8 cores. Everything that takes time needs those. Baking, rendering, loading, etc. Its like cores. A i5 has 4 physical and 4 theoretical, the i7
    has 4 physical but 8 theoretical and thats a huge difference.

If youre low on cash, the AMD give a lot more power for the money, they just dont really offer high end right now, so the high-end is intel but expensive. You will regret having a 4 threaded CPU very soon.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd stick with Nvidia. ATI cards tend to have more driver and display issues when it comes to professional software. Also CUDA acceleration is nice when it is an option.

An i7 will be nice for baking and rendering, and will save you sometime, but if it's outside your budget, you can live without it.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An I7 isn't a need, but I sure do love having one. A 3770/4770 isn't thattttt expensive, just about $80 more than the I5 the OP has picked out.

It really depends on what you do, I've been doing some video production stuff lately and I really appreciate my I7.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    I never said you need a expensive i7 -

if you upgrade your PC right now, first third of 2014 then you want it to last I suppose, and getting a 4 threaded system when you can have a 8 threaded one from AMD for about 180 is something you very likely will regret.

I guess my view is biased since I do offline rendering aswell, but theres more and more multithreading in games, in engines, in programs and theres just nothing speaking for a i5 really, not even the price.

I guess madalex is an artist and he will dig into more and more programs in the very near future and you really dont want to render offline things or videos with 4 threads in 2014. Im not sure about xNormal but it should 100% profit from the extra threads, and baking can take very long.

AMD FX-9370 Black Edition (4.4 GHz) Sockel AM3+ costs a tiny bit cheaper than the
    i5 4670K and has 8 threads and a better overall performance rating (well it always depends on the app, on some the i5 wins some the FX obviously)

i5s are more or less an exploit for gamers. They offer basically the same power of an i7 for way less money.
    As games do not need hyperthreading, this is a great deal for gamers. For workers, hyperthreading is a big deal and thats where most of the extra price is going in.

Well i dont want to convince anyone for something they dont want, just trying to be helpful

Im no AMD fanboy or such, got an i7 and 770 myself and happy with it, but the new AMD cards blow nvidia out of the water at the moment (again cost/power relation not high end), and the FX-9370 is a extremely good solution for low money and high price effience since atleast a year or so. AMD GPU driver tend to suck tho but cant confirm for the moment.

For the SSDs, they are more noticeable than any CPU, total recommendation
    but try not put any cloud storage or anything on it with 128 its instantly full with windows and your working apps and you dont know how it happened :/

Btw a Zotak GTX 660 should cost the same than your 750 Ti but should be around 20% faster even tho its an older generation if you want a geforce
    or a XFX Radeon HD 7850 Black Edition will provide a bunch more performance aswell for the same price, but more info should be researched tho on that, not 100% sure there. 750 T1 is a budget card that came out later, while those others are "core" cards that went cheaper with the time. I Compared with a general 750T1 now. If its not so important, the 750Ti should be fine however.

145 for 16 GB ram sounds pretty expensive aswell
  • Skamander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamander triangle
    Would be useful to know your budget.

Personally I would try to get the SSD into the build from the beginning if possible. SSDs are one of the best investments one can make in my opinion. Thanks to the fast access times (compared to HDDs) everything will feel much smoother (OS and programms start faster) and copying files is faster as well thanks to the better transfer rates.

As was said already: you should probably reconsider your PSU. I didn't know the PSU before you posted it, but after searching a bit it seems to be getting mixed reviews, ranging from "total sh*t" to "just accepatble". 600W is far too much for your build. The build you posted will only use around 250W under maxium load.

To chime in on the cpu: 8 Threads can be useful, especially in the future, and it's not really more expensive compared to your CPU+MoBo combo (especially if you know the Intel Xeon E3 series which is the workstation/server counterpart of the mainstream i7 series).
    Your CPU + MoBo           ->  $335
    Xeon E3 1230v3 + H87 MoBo -> ~$328
    I7 4770 + H87 MoBo        -> ~$378
    I7 4770k + your MoBO      -> ~$465

btw: since you picked a K-Series CPU and a Z87 motherboard, do you intend to overclock your CPU?
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    SSDs make a huge difference - as does having a shit ton of RAM .

I'd be inclined to skimp on GPU rather than the CPU at the beginning - GPU's are a cheap upgrade, CPU and ancilliaries are not. Go for an older higher end model rather than a newer lower end model (I'm using a pair of 560Ti at home - total cost of sod all) they have all the features - just lack some of the speed, which is non-essential really

for my money i7, SSD and as much RAM as you can afford are the best way to spend your money.

one thing - do you really need a new case ?

also - have you checked to see whether doing this by hand is cheaper than going to Dell/HP/etc?
    Granted I tend to be looking at 3-4 times your budget but I've always found the big guys to be very competitive on price and they have a lot more resources to put towards developing a decent cooling/PSU setup than you or I ...
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    perna wrote: »
    Yeah, definitely stay clear of ATI cards. They tend to play poorly with pro 3D applications.

not necessarily true for all ATI card types.

i been using ATI Firepro W7000 and works amazing well with most pro 3d apps. max, maya, UDK4, cryengine3, toolbag2, knald, mari, mudbox, topogun, abobe CC collection, etc. what is even amazing is that is plays all latest PC games with directx11 features with high spec at nearly flawless speed.

i mainly got it for performance boost in mudbox and it was an instant difference being able to have a mudbox scene with close to 100mil poly in realtime. rest of the benifits were just bonus.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM wrote: »
    not necessarily true for all ATI card types.

i been using ATI Firepro W7000 and works amazing well with most pro 3d apps. max, maya, UDK4, cryengine3, toolbag2, knald, mari, mudbox, topogun, abobe CC collection, etc. what is even amazing is that is plays all latest PC games with directx11 features with high spec at nearly flawless speed.

i mainly got it for performance boost in mudbox and it was an instant difference being able to have a mudbox scene with close to 100mil poly in realtime. rest of the benifits were just bonus.

Hehe, I would hope so, its an $800 workstation card.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Hehe, I would hope so, its an $800 workstation card.

hehe, true but compared to a NVIDIA quadro of the same price range it seems to do it all. i tried quadro cards before and they were utter waste of money considering all things. quadros only did very few selected things really well while failing completely on things like UDK, cryengine, toolbag, PC games etc etc.

just saying that the "ATI is bad, NVIDIA is good" isnt always true.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    im not totally read up on a lot of hardware at the moment..usually do when i need to upgrade and forget after,

but the one thing id recommend is to get an SSD. nothing gives you the uprgade feel like an SSD does! i didnt believe it until i got one and damn things run fast.

Obviously it doesnt really help calculation speed but any swapping and launch/write/load time is reduced dramatically!