Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

What to do. What not to do.

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Hoopla! polygon
Ahoy, Polypeople!

I am starting this thread as a means to move forward. I have been a hobbyist for 4-5 years now and well, its do or do not do time for me. I have worked as a professional artist for the last three years in other industries but recently parted ways with my employer and have have now found myself with time and energy to invest in something I LOVE! developing and honing my 3d skills.

I've fallowed this forum for awhile now and i am constantly amazed and inspired by what i see here.

Im asking for help from all of you wonderful people. I love creating art but i seem to get in over my head with 3d, im pretty shy about it and so i figured that was a good sign i should be exposing as many of the mistakes i try to hide as possible. (hope that make at least some sense to someone :poly142:)

my goal is to work on a single project every day that i can and post the progress here. so here goes!

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd start simply - the ubiquitous crates & barrels. They are straight-forward to model, easy to texture map, a can provide a solid base for a wide range of materials, everything from wood & metal to plastic & cardboard.

Don't set an unreasonable schedule. Experienced artists could create a quality model in a day, but that's with years of experience and knowledge of their tools. Until you have enough experience to know how long things take, set your sights on working a fixed number of hours per day, and try to stay away from distractions (TV, web, phone) during your "work" hours.

Plan what you are doing before you start. This might seem an unnecessary step for your first, simple projects, but it will become increasingly important as you progress.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    It might also be a good idea to set up references when you begin to approach bigger projects. It helps you stay on-track, so you don't diverge from what you originally intended to make.

I'll find that if I work on a model a bit in the morning, I'll get a few ideas coming to me throughout the day as to little things I could add that would make the sculpt/mesh/etc better. If you ever have one of these moments, don't hesitate to get something to write on! The sooner, the better!

While most people here would disagree, you want to hone your skills so I suggest finding a style or genre that you're interested in and working on a few models for that, then move onto another genre, etc. This way you get an acute idea as to what styles you're good at, what you like, and what you need to improve on.

Oh, and take breaks. If you can't feel that you're getting anywhere, sitting in front of a screen for hours on end won't work in your favour. Let yourself regenerate!
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    thanks guys, great advice. :thumbup:
    you guys both have some really cool stuff on here.

im really excited about this shield for Eric the cavalier.

a quick image search of some refs and concepts (not mine)

also some silhouettes i did this morning.
  • Hoopla!
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Very nice progress. Can't wait to see this being modeled!
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    thanks stirls. i really want to get this dialed in before i model, im anxious to tho lol.

here is a small re-do

T7ACco0.jpg?1

id like to make the back a bit more interesting. any comments welcome :)
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    some geo shots.

not sure about this, got a little messy near the round cut out corners. i want to take this into zbrush but hate getting there and finding out i did something wrong....

EhRF7l7.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    if you plan to sculpt it, on such a simple mesh, doublesmooth would be your preferred workflow
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    thanks neox. im working in max and using turbo smooth. made my base then added one iteration of turbosmooth then added an edit poly to the stack, made some fine adjustments and added another turbosmooth on top. the model on the left is with basically two iterations of smoothing. all quads.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah you can get pretty much exactly to that without your stacking ^^
    i don't have max here so i can't show, so if you have time till tomorrow i can show otherwise i'd ask for another polycounter to show him how doublesooth works
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Here is a video that explains it. Essentially What you do is build a model with smoothing groups in the exact shape you want and the edges you want. Then add a turbosmooth and click on smoothing groups and than add another turbosmooth to smooth the edges out. The video shows it a bit more clearly.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87I8FpXn3Yc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87I8FpXn3Yc[/ame]
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    omg thats brilliant. you guys are fantastic. what time saver.

re modeling this.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no need to remodel just apply smoothinggroups to your lowpoly HOWEVER this workflow isn't best for everything, but in case of sculpting meshes i prefer it over classical subdivision with controledges as those have uneven mesh distribution which sucks for sculpting.
  • Hoopla!
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    i just realized i know a lot less about baking normals than i thought ;)
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    cant seem to figure out how to get my hi poly sculpt onto my low poly retopo'd obj from max. eveything i read says i should be able to project all in zbrush, didnt seem to be working right, then i realized i could be doing it in xnormal but then i cant get my defuse to work right in the viewer :( , i guess what i dont know is whats best here? im trying to make it into a usable game asset that i can render out showing normal, spec, difuse, etc maps on my low poly model. lol i downloaded marmoset and xnormal.:\
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    xNormal is probably the easiest. Bake your high-poly down onto your low-poly (make sure that low poly has UV maps!). If you've got a texture on your HP, and you want to bake that onto your LP as well, you're going to need to add a UV map to your HP.

If you can't do that, bake the normals and then take them into zBrush, and use zProject Brush to texture it. Here's a tutorial on it, but for future reference, try to bake some UVs on your HP, even if you have to segment!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Bj4_91OnU&feature=share&list=UUAzbCWhqt4N49AaneIxw8rA&index=2"]zBrush Tutorial - Making sense of the "zProject" brush - YouTube[/ame]