Home General Discussion

From Arch Vis with love

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
sulky polycounter lvl 7
Hey Polycount, quick question today.

I am undergoing a career change, not a massive one, but i am making the leap from the the realm of architectural visualization to the one of game art.

I am asking for some advice/comments on my workflow. Many thanks in advance !
My workflow so far:

- reference gathering
- general layout blocking (primitive for space awareness)
- modelling
- maps bakes (AO,Normals,...)
- texturing
- engine works (Marmoset/cryengine)

Am i missing something ?

P.S.
One shot of my last project !:)

shot001.jpg

Replies

• Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I'm semi going the other way for the time being (picking up more real time focused freelance work). You should be fine. Working with real time will be a bit of an adjustment for you but nothing all that bad-most of the terminology will be similar.

Best of luck, I think you'll be great. Love that shot of yours.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    You may want to have a gander at Unreal 4 and their Realistic Rendering Example
  • l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I am sort of doing a similiar thing to you! I started out wanting to get into game art, sort of wondered into the world of CGI/Viz stuff by placement and then wanting a job involving 3D so I had "a foot in the door" so to speak and now I am slowly going back to wanting to get into game development.

From my knowledge there is little in terms of difference between the 2 ways of production. I may be totally wrong but from my experience the hardest thing to get to grips with is the texture map baking of things like normals etc. The maps etc all work the same, if anything game engine shaders are more primitive than those found in V-Ray etc.

Good luck with it!

Also on the list I think there might be more of a back and forth with putting in assets into the engine and figuring out lighting etc. I may be totally wrong but it would make sense to get a good idea of the lighting within the engine and then add stuff in and tinker about to get it righ and to see if you are achieving what you want instead of leaving it to the end :)
  • sulky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sulky polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks a lot for all the tips guys !!
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    One of the biggest differences between the two worlds is that in architecture you need the pristine never been touched by human look (for the most part). In games you need that real world grit and grime, and that's not just slapping grime maps in there just to do so. You have to grasp the understanding and technique of making the wear and grime actually believable.