Home General Discussion

Ideas

For an assignment in college I have to produce a 3D game and only have access to the Unreal engine. So I am making this thread for any ideas of possible ideas what I can fit into a 15 week time scale.

Replies

• jddg5wa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jddg5wa polycounter lvl 8
    It depends, how many hours can you actually spend working on the game per week? If you have 15 full weeks you could do a lot. If you have even half of 15 weeks you could do a lot. But if you are in college that may not be the case.
  • burgone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have about 6 hours a day for about 4 days a week and the deadline is in 15 weeks time
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    That's not answering all of the questions - is it a solo project? What is the emphasis of the project and the course etc. ?
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 13
    Is this an modeling project? Or more focused on rapid prototyping and game play? Or is this a programming/scripting assignment? I don't quite understand if you are asking us for ideas, or you're going to post your/your teams ideas here for feedback?
  • burgone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Solo project and we have to create a 3d game using the unreal engine. we have to create just one level and we can pick our own theme and what style of game.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I feel trolled based on your previous threads.

Is this fishing for ideas? or this is a serious college project which if it is you are probably just wasting time waiting for someone to just drop an idea or two just for you here instead of just thinking.. of one which you have a ?team of people and can't come up with anything?
    Right now it is showing to me a lack of creativity here and nothing else.
    but i am a dick usually
    so i don't know how you should take this but my comments are at least 100% honest. Lack of creativity in this industry is a huge no, no. If this is somehow to fish for profit on making an actual game which is what it seems like most regarding your previous threads..again then i'd say researching what is hip and new is what you should be jumping on before missing out.

Birds seem to be the new thing to do make some birds in an environment, there profit.
    Peter Griffin: The bird is the word. Hey don't you know about the bird?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNrx2jq184
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Penis Tank MMO.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    The Imagination Game. It's a black screen and the user imagines what they want.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I'm not sure if you'll find any serious responses for a few reasons. For starters, basically everybody in the games industry has tons of ideas for games and so it seems kind of odd to see somebody who is probably taking a class on game development but has no ideas.

Second, there's always the whole "if I give out my idea, then somebody else is going to steal it!" mindset.

Third, your posting history seems to imply that you ask for ideas pretty often here, rather than the generic shitposting I do.

I'd say the memes/dickpics will be here within a few posts.

In the rare case that you actually are serious, I'd suggest cloning a basic 3D game you enjoy playing already. I mean you could literally create anything you have played before to some extent. The important thing to remember is to pick a realistic project that is within your range of skills but at the same time, feel free to challenge yourself so you can learn more.

There are tons of tutorials out there for getting started with unreal engine 3 and I remember doing a tutorial a few years ago where I basically re-created a level of super mario in unreal engine 3.

Good luck.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I just thought this up:

survival game, you play a strange fantastical creature trying to survive on the decaying corpse of a dead god. Mold & fungus for food maybe small carrion bugs take the place of small game.

and an idea I had in the past: City Sim where you start out with an unwinnable situation and you have options to put in horrible stuff like sublimiable message broadcasts, centers to euthanize the old and resell them as food, etc... location of these buildings are important, if they are too close to residential districts people will find out and you might have to send out thugs to terrorize people.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I suggest you make a game with so boring and crappy gameplay but with gorgeous AAA game graphic. Lots of lens flare and Bloom. The protagonist is a female bombshell that as you play, her cloths tears off from battle damage. Her weapon is a dildo sword. Monsters you fight off are classic Dragon Quest's slime.

Boom ! There's your idea.
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    A game with voxels where you must build things and the fun never ends. You have different types of colours on your voxels.

The fun...
    ...never...
    ...stops.
  • Kitty|Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
    \off-wall-idea-mode

A game set in a nuclear bunker.
    The main character doesn't know if it is safe to come out (lots of warnings and stuff to deter the player from going outside), only communication is someone else in a separate bunker with fewer supplies. the entire game is based on their relationship and what the player decides to do as the other person starts to run out of their supplies.
    do they choose to risk going outside to try help the other person?

outside is nice, green and sunny.

with the internet it is now a decision some people have to make (do i go outside today? since you can get almost everything without leaving the house), so the nuclear bunker metaphor is a nice comment on what out lives have become.

/derp
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl wrote: »
    with the internet it is now a decision some people have to make (do i go outside today? since you can get almost everything without leaving the house), so the nuclear bunker metaphor is a nice comment on what out lives have become.
    I don't have to think about if I'll go outside or not. That answer is always no.

Can you play counter-strike outside? This alone accounts for 80% of my life decisions these days :(
  • burgone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To the guy who thinks I am trolling/fishing, I am just asking for peoples ideas for things, which also can be classed as research into what people are looking for, which in turn I can base my final outcome
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    burgone wrote: »
    To the guy who thinks I am trolling/fishing, I am just asking for peoples ideas for things, which also can be classed as research into what people are looking for, which in turn I can base my final outcome

I hope your research is going well so far, penis tank MMO gets my vote.

think of the taglines it could have "I blew my load on Penis Tank" "Penis tank started fun, but left me feeling depressed with an awful mess to clean up."

Game ideas aren't hard dude

http://orteil.dashnet.org/gamegen

ive heard of game jams using these for fun

An arcade game where you throw princesses to unlock bonus items.-first one I got
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Penis Tank MMO.

You could name it 'World of Penis Tanks'
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    You could look through the many Molydeux tweets for something https://twitter.com/PeterMolydeux
    there are game jams based on doing that
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I think you should try to make a braid-style Time-Reversal Pac-Man game.

Where the ghosts move 2x faster than you, and any point in time you can reverse.
    (Think of it as a puzzle solving game).

Then when you're done designing the level, swap the PacMa/Ghosts/Pellets graphics for something else.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Make a backwards game, where you start off as this allmighty powerful wizard/knight.

And you resurrect the dragon, put the princess back into the tower, put the treasure back in the chest... put the sword back into the stone.. and the purpose of the game is to try and be a peasant farm boy in a thatch roofed cottage.
  • juniez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Make a backwards game, where you start off as this allmighty powerful wizard/knight.

And you resurrect the dragon, put the princess back into the tower, put the treasure back in the chest... put the sword back into the stone.. and the purpose of the game is to try and be a peasant farm boy in a thatch roofed cottage.

a game based around setting up the stage for a medieval hero would be pretty fun tbh. undoing all of your progress in secret to clean up your own heroic acts so another hero can arise... very circle of life
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    I love this thread. I intend to steal all of your ideas attain wealth beyond measure.

Also: I want to see 1984 the game.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    a 2 player game. each player controls a box that can go up or down at opposite ends of the screen.
    there is a ball in the middles of the screen that bounces.
    you lose if the bouncing ball exits your side of the screen.
  • JacqueChoi
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I don't get how you can get into a game college, and not have any ideas for games.

I have thousands in my head, and I'm not even a game designer.

BTW, if you haven't figured it out, this thread is gonna end up with a LOT of noise, and very little signal.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    OHH!!!

A Bond Villain game, where you have to set up a ridiculous contraption that will execute the "Secret Agent" in the slowest, most painful, messy way ever, and not actually watch him get executed.

Bonus if its physics based. And you get sharks with "frickin lazers".
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    OHH!!!

A Bond Villain game, where you have to set up a ridiculous contraption that will execute the "Secret Agent" in the slowest, most painful, messy way ever, and not actually watch him get executed.

Bonus if its physics based. And you get sharks with "frickin lazers".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_Genius_(video_game) I remember it fondly.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    OH snap! That sounds amazing!

Kk, here's a few more:

2nd person Sword Thrower.

Dodgeball with Super Mario Powers.

Polycount: The Game: (An RPG as a Freelance 3D artist.. sorta like Game Dev Story).
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Idea: You start off as a kid in school, and you try to steal someone else's pencil without being seen. Stealth Detection. Call it "PCP" !!!
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't really play to many MMOs but I would be all over World of Penis Tanks. Of course, after seeing that Black Desert Online character customization video I must demand the ability to edit the verts that make up my tank's pubic hair. Also tattoos.

Honestly, considering there are popular games out like Goat Simulator and Viscera Cleanup Detail, I'd say that a World of Penis Tanks game could actually be pretty successful lol. Who doesn't want to drive around in a penis tank and blow shit up oh boy what am I doing with my life?