Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Fantasy Tavern - no shinies! (almost)

iniside
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
iniside polycounter lvl 6
I already did once Fantasy Tavern, and posted here, but here is another take on it.

Crits are welcome. There is still room for improvement So I will take anything (;.
ScreenShot00000.png
ScreenShot00001.png
ScreenShot00003.png
ScreenShot00004.png
ScreenShot00005.png
ScreenShot00006.png
ScreenShot00007.png
ScreenShot00008.png
ScreenShot00009.png

Replies

• NomadSoul2501
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    This is fantastic!
    Loving the look and feel of the environment and the lighting is awesome.
    3 minor things kinda jump out though:
    >In images 1 and 4 there seems to be a weird glow from the fireplace
    >In images 3,6 and 9 the central column gets really bright at the bottom and I don't understand where that light is coming from.
    >In the last image, your chair/stool seems to have the same color as the floor its on and it kinda disappears.

Cheers
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    This is awesome! The smoke is a bit heavy in some of the pictures. Mainly this one: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70400220/FantasyTavernV2/ScreenShot00004.png
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I'm seeing a few UV issues in some small areas with bad stretching. What stand out to me most is the lighting though. It's a bit blow out. Tone it down a bit so the hot spots are so...white hot.
  • littlebump8
    Nice work! It's looking great. :D As a suggestion you might want to add some staining on the wood around the metal bands on the barrels.

woodinville_barrel.png
  • Nam.Nguyen
    Offline / Send Message
    Nam.Nguyen polycounter lvl 9
    the whole candle things is a bit too bright, especially when they hit the surface, it's look like a strong flashlight
    btw, great work
  • Ssjtroll
    Offline / Send Message
    Ssjtroll polycounter lvl 8
    I would watch were the lights hit the Geo. Especially on the posts They are super blown out. Other wise, this is awesome work!
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Huge improvement over your previous taverns, this looks great! I would suggest turning down the fog/dust a little bit because it seems distracting. It also seems like the floors are less worn out/aged compared to the walls, I'd imagine you could try making them look a bit older or dirtier as well. Other than that I think it looks pretty solid, it's going into my inspiration folder for sure.
  • bunneh13
    Offline / Send Message
    bunneh13 polycounter lvl 3
    As much as I love the look I have to wonder how safe open torches are in a wooden tavern filled with barrels of booze.
  • locater16
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Wow! Some of it looks great, a decade ago I'd swear it was a pre-render, and a great one at that.

But there's some troubles. The light bleeding through the tables from the candles on them is always present. I'd really honestly expect the bottles to be nice and shiny and reflective. The puddles don't read well at all, I had to take a minute to figure out what they were.

Appreciation that there's shying away from just making everything chrome certainly. But that doesn't mean you can't use some proper environment maps and whatnot, with all you're fairly rough surfaces it should be well controlled.
  • Vertrucio
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Overall the lights just seem way too bright. I'd expect candlelit places use a lot of low level lighting at high exposure levels.

That or you can fill with ambient light that's at a cooler light color, and make the candles fill the areas with warmer more defining light.

Of course, that all depends on the art style of your game.
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. Here is updated version. I changed lighting a bit. I also added smoked decals to roofs, but they are barely visible.. Don't want to criticize engine, but there are very serious translucency sorting issues, which are best visible on translucent decals (or rather not visible as you can see).
    As much as I love the look I have to wonder how safe open torches are in a wooden tavern filled with barrels of booze.
    Honestly. Safety if not my issue even if it look cool for only 5 mins and then blow up :D.
    On serious note, treated wood is not that easy to burn.

As for leaking lights there and there. Particle lights do not cast shadows, which in turn cause leaking. I tried to minimize it on candles.
    I'd really honestly expect the bottles to be nice and shiny and reflective.
    Unofrunetly UE4 do not really support reflections on translucent surfaces. I mean in theory it does, in practice.. Well it is still deferred rendering, which means it have it's problems with translucency. And there is no finished forward pass for translucency. Though from what I have seen in code, there is some work on it.

Though they should be shinier now! Not sure if that's better though.

ScreenShot00011.png
    ScreenShot00012.png
    ScreenShot00013.png
    ScreenShot00014.png
    ScreenShot00015.png
    ScreenShot00016.png
  • locater16
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Looks good! I'm not sure how much I'd hold my breath for screen-space reflections on transparencies though. Even when they're working (perfectly possible) I doubt you'd actually be allowed unless it's some extra setting for the PC on the high end.

I also personally liked all the smoke, but hey maybe that's just me. Good job!
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    SSR are actually really cheap. They take less than 1ms render time.
    On consoles you might decide for player, on PC... You just give option in settings menu.
  • shinobix
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    I can't help but say that the lighting is a bit messy. There are far too many bright points in the scene with the same colour tone, which makes it a bit dull and muddy. The ambient light in the scene appears to be of the same value as the candle light. There isn't any contrast or a focal point to rest your eyes. Its a great scene geo/texture wise. I'd work on the lighting a bit more to really make this pop!
  • Shadownami92
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    It's looking pretty awesome, but I feel like your light sources are a bit too cool, with candles and torches you will get a bit warmer of a light and they wont be that bright I think.

Also on the chandelier it looks like you just have a point light floating in the middle of it ring and it's cause there to always be a really bright glare off the inside of the chandelier and causes it to look very unnatural. I dont know if you plan to keep the candles static or not but you could probably use lightmapping or decals to fake shadows casting, candles in a dim room have a tendency to cast shadows at their base, at least from my experience.

Setting up an SSS/transmission shader would also probably work wonders for the candles to make them seem more waxy and have light partially pass through it like this.

The lanterns are also incredibly bright, what's in the lanterns to make them shine like that? normally it would just be oil which while it would burn brighter than candles it still wouldnt be bright like a lightbulb. Taverns tend to be dimmer, the current lighting makes me thinkg it's lit to set the mood of a nice sit down restaurant.

9k=
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the issue is i had darker version and the problem was you barely could see anything.
    I had to decide whether I want it be more dark and you can't really see anything, or over bright and make it brighter, but at least you can see what is going on.

I will try to tune it down, but I'm not sure it will work well though.

I have SSS for wax. It just doesn't work for some reason. Probably should figure out why it doesn't work.

As for chandelier you are right about it. Decals are out of consideration I have decals on roof and I bet you can't see them. I can't as well (;.

Lightmaps are also out of consideration. Since there is limit t 4 overlapping shadows for stationary lights, and static light shadows looks like crap. I think I will lice single light in middle, just move it to bit different position.
  • shinobix
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    A big mistake that most people tend to make is trying to have everything 'seen'. Focus on the composition of your scene, what is your key area of interest, and light the scene according to that. Having a darker soft blue/grey ambient so that the scene is not 100% black is a good place to start, then work up the light and their respective intensities from there. The great thing about visual stuff, is that the eye/brain does a great job of filling in the blanks. As long as the mood / tone is set, and its presented in a beautiful and pleasing way, it's ok to have a lot of subtlety and not show that one piece of art you spent hours working on at 100% brightness. That's what asset turntables are for :D
  • Sil3ntKnight
    If you look at the image, third from the bottom, and look at the ceiling it would appear there is some possible texture stretching, or UV issues. I'm certainly not seeing it everywhere, but that spot really caught my eye. Other than that, I am really liking this environment. Great work!